Banned
Reaction score
Mexi said:
one player doesn't make a team

Dodgers, Brewers and Yankees are already good. All are going to the playoffs

Adding Machado just enhances their chances at going to the WS

Royals added Zobrist and won the WS, also added Cueto

Cubs added Chapman, Indians added Miller

Astros added Verlander and Dodgers added Darvish. Both helped get them there and I don't believe they get there without both guys
Verlander was the only one who made a substantial difference in my opinion. He pitched big games at big times and I think pitchers make a more substantial impact then position players to turn a team around.

The thing about Machado is that he's a career .280 right now and until he reaches the next level, I just don't think he's as legendary as everyone says he is.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
If Machado played LF, I would somewhat maybe agree with you pwn, but you have to factor in the position as well

Right now hes 1st among shortstops in OPS, and would be 4th among 3B (where he should be playing). Hes also on pace this year to hit 40 HRs and 111 RBIs with a .316 batting average.

For an infielder entering their prime, you give him what he wants

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
PWNdroia said:
Verlander was the only one who made a substantial difference in my opinion. He pitched big games at big times and I think pitchers make a more substantial impact then position players to turn a team around.

The thing about Machado is that he's a career .280 right now and until he reaches the next level, I just don't think he's as legendary as everyone says he is.
Now youre looking at career BA? Lmao

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
bosoxlover12 said:
If Machado played LF, I would somewhat maybe agree with you pwn, but you have to factor in the position as well

Right now hes 1st among shortstops in OPS, and would be 4th among 3B (where he should be playing). Hes also on pace this year to hit 40 HRs and 111 RBIs with a .316 batting average.

For an infielder entering their prime, you give him what he wants
I do agree he is entering his prime, which is why he may excel. But I have to see it first. I have to see him progress.

Machado has made it clear he wants to play SS. Anything short of what he wants could make him an issue on and off the field. It happened to Bogaerts when they tried to move him to third a couple years back.

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
CameronCrazy06 said:
Now youre looking at career BA? Lmao
That's not all I look at. His OBP really isn't that great either. I can get into more specifics if needed, though I'm under the impression you're looking to disagree with me just to disagree and not listen to anything I say. That's what's wrong with people here. They shout their opinions but they don't listen to others.

I think Machado is good, but overrated by far. What do you look at?

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
PWNdroia said:
That's not all I look at. His OBP really isn't that great either. I can get into more specifics if needed, though I'm under the impression you're looking to disagree with me just to disagree and not listen to anything I say. That's what's wrong with people here. They shout their opinions but they don't listen to others.

I think Machado is good, but overrated by far. What do you look at?
It doesnt take much effort at all to see that hes been a very good offensive player in 3 of the past 4 seasons, with last years first half being a clear anomaly. His WAR is down this year because hes playing shortstop. Fine. You wont hear an argument from me regarding his defense at SS because its not good. He shouldnt be there.

Arguing just to argue? No, Im actually an orioles fan who watches him play. Hes been great with the bat all year. And in 2015. And in 2016.

What youre also failing to grasp is his offense *compared to other shortstops*. Thats what makes him so much more valuable. Theres only one SS on his level offensively and thats Lindor (Seager if hes healthy too).

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
dont forget about #1 SS in Baseball Xander Bogaerts, CC!!

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
CameronCrazy06 said:
It doesnt take much effort at all to see that hes been a very good offensive player in 3 of the past 4 seasons, with last years first half being a clear anomaly. His WAR is down this year because hes playing shortstop. Fine. You wont hear an argument from me regarding his defense at SS because its not good. He shouldnt be there.

Arguing just to argue? No, Im actually an orioles fan who watches him play. Hes been great with the bat all year. And in 2015. And in 2016.

What youre also failing to grasp is his offense *compared to other shortstops*. Thats what makes him so much more valuable. Theres only one SS on his level offensively and thats Lindor (Seager if hes healthy too).
Fair enough. I agree, I just don't think he's that that good.

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
Well that opinion is just based on personal prejudices is then

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
CameronCrazy06 said:
Well that opinion is just based on personal prejudices is then
I wasn't looking at him from just a SS perspective. I was comparing him to any other position player. That being said, I think he will end up being an overpay, and if he switches to 3B, he may not be the best third basemen on the market. His age should be an indicator to raise the price tag however.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
PWNdroia said:
I wasn't looking at him from just a SS perspective. I was comparing him to any other position player. That being said, I think he will end up being an overpay, and if he switches to 3B, he may not be the best third basemen on the market. His age should be an indicator to raise the price tag however.
and that was your mistake

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
Position excluded, hes #10 in war since 2016 and he just turned 26.

catman

Reaction score
Watching Cleveland/Yankees game.  Cleveland needs some bullpen help.  Stanton hit a "nothing" fastball 104 MPH, 388 to right center.

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
CameronCrazy06 said:
Position excluded, hes #10 in war since 2016 and he just turned 26.
Fine, but I still wouldn't overpay. He reminds me of other pre Madonna's who ended up tanking after they got big money deals. I just feel it happening.

I did overlook his power numbers by a long shot. I was wrong on those, I admit it. He'd be worth money so long as he doesn't put up 2017 numbers.

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
Rockies starting to win... This is where they begin their heist for the NL West crown. Mexi, they are the one team to look out for. I think they can win this division.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
so essentially you're just talking out of your ass with regards to machado's value...

he's a prima donna supposedly yet you didn't "remember" that he's been the 2nd best IF at creating runs (aka HRs and RBIs) since 2016?
its like you havent even watched him play

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
bosoxlover12 said:
so essentially you're just talking out of your ass with regards to machado's value...

he's a prima donna supposedly yet you didn't "remember" that he's been the 2nd best IF at creating runs (aka HRs and RBIs) since 2016?
its like you havent even watched him play
I just overlooked it. But he is a head case. Was against us and was when he claimed he wouldn't play any position but shortstop...

That being said, I don't like his 2017 numbers and I still think he doesn't hit for average or on base percentage like most other great hitters do. I don't think his power will last him if he doesn't hit for average.

The only advantage in my eyes is he's yet to hit his prime.

I would stick with the cheaper route of Bogaerts or Gregorius. Gregorius is hitting .260 and has just as much WAR as Machado this year...

I won't look at Machado as a third basemen until he actually becomes one.

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
Rick Porcello's ERA normalized after last night. 8 runs in two innings for an ERA of 4.13.

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Tim Tebow holding his own in AA is kind of impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%