2017 MLB Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
Well this game is basically over because Farrell put in all of our reserve players. I get that we have a double header, but there's no reason to sit Hanley against the lefty and let Benintendi or Bradley start against the lefty. Hanley should have started with Young in the outfield. Wouldn't have made a huge difference though, because our offense sucks. But that's the wiser decision.

Porcello wasn't half bad, but like I said, 3 runs a game. And add to the fact we are basically running a lineup of AA players.

Now onto game 4 and the best we can do is split. Tampa and Yankees will own this division soon enough, unless we pick up some offense somewhere. Right now we are pathetic on offense, starters or no starters.

Bradley 0 for 4. Why the hell did he start against the lefty when he was already slumping?

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
.ptt81 said:
JBJ is hitting .379 against lefties this year...
Well he was 0 for 4 today and slumping...

I'm not usually one to be for or against lefty lefty match-ups, but common sense tells otherwise.

And I guarantee that's a small sample size and won't hold all year.

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
Considering we are past the half way point of the season, it has a little substance to it.

He's hitting .249 against righties.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Then again maybe not cause they like verdugo

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
.ptt81 said:
Considering we are past the half way point of the season, it has a little substance to it.

He's hitting .249 against righties.
I don't think it has little substance to it.  I like Bradley, he's a decent hitter overall, excellent defender, and I have no problem starting him against lefties, but if he goes 0 for 4 against a lefty when Hanley Ramirez sits, that's a problem.

By the way, I get we're midway through the season, but Bradley is also very streaky and half a season is a small sample size.  I haven't looked how he did against lefties the past two seasons, but I'm sure it's not as great as .349.  Likewise, I'm sure he's better than .249 against righties.  You can tell they're small sample sizes when you look at his overall average.

That being said, it wouldn't have made a difference.  We can't hit as a team right now.  I hope that changes tonight or Tampa and Yankees will be getting closer to take this division.  Every game counts and we are blowing the season away with our horrid play right now.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
I love how you're clamoring for Boston to have started Hanley for the day game, when he came in to pinch hit in the 9th, looked at 5 pitches thrown without swinging, and then walked back to the dugout

If you were to take anyone out of the lineup, it'd be Benintendi not JBJ, like PTT said

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
Plus, I swear you have bitched about Hanley's not existent bat before this season. 

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
PWNdroia said:
Dave Dombrowski, please trade Hanley Ramirez, even if it means getting no one in return. That guy is a complete waste. What horrible offense.

Exactly 3 weeks ago

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
Honestly if you want to bitch about anything, we need Mookie's bat to get going. Dude is third in WAR in the league, but thats entirely because of his baserunning and defense.

He's our superstar. But we won't win with the way he's been swinging the last little bit.

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
.ptt81 said:
Plus, I swear you have bitched about Hanley's not existent bat before this season. 

bosoxlover12 said:

Exactly 3 weeks ago

You're absolutely right about me hating on Hanley, but he's actually starting to get hot right now and as bad as our offense is, I'm not sure who else to ask upon.  I still think he's the biggest bum in the game, but logic tells me to put the right handed bat in there in place of the left handed.  I'm not usually a lefty lefty matchup guy either, but Hanley is starting to hit (as big of a bum he is) and Bradley is ice cold.  If not Bradley, then Benintendi, but put the hot bat in who's a right hander.

If Hanley Ramirez can't hit as the DH, that's a problem.  He should be shipped out if that's the case, because that's all the guy really gives to us.  But he's our DH and we're against a lefty, so he has no reason to sit.  Give him a chance and don't use the stupid tired excuse for a DH.

Bottom line is the DH should hit.  If he doesn't, I have a right to complain, because that's all the DH does.

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
.ptt81 said:
Honestly if you want to bitch about anything, we need Mookie's bat to get going. Dude is third in WAR in the league, but thats entirely because of his baserunning and defense.

He's our superstar. But we won't win with the way he's been swinging the last little bit.
He's a superstar, yes, but I still think he's heavily overrated.  One man doesn't solve this team's offense.  It's putting the right guys in the right spots in the lineup, and Farrell does a poor job of this, especially considering 7 through 9.  If you have a 7 through 9 that can't hit period, then you basically don't have a chance.  That's what we had today.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
Between Friday and Saturday Hanley had 11 at bats, and had a sunday double header in which each game could have been another 5 at bats.

He's someone who's openly complained to the media that he doesn't feel comfortable playing first base because his shoulder is so fucked that he can't throw to 2nd base. I can see how 20 at bats in a 3 day span can be tiresome for someone already in pain, and asking to take one of the two Sunday games off

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Listened to LA radio on the way to LAX, the guys say that this is the Dodgers year. Would be disappointing if the heavy favorites dont win the whole thing.

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
bosoxlover12 said:
Between Friday and Saturday Hanley had 11 at bats, and had a sunday double header in which each game could have been another 5 at bats.

He's someone who's openly complained to the media that he doesn't feel comfortable playing first base because his shoulder is so fucked that he can't throw to 2nd base. I can see how 20 at bats in a 3 day span can be tiresome for someone already in pain, and asking to take one of the two Sunday games off
Should have taken the second one off then since it was a righty pitching, if you buy into matchups.  That was the main point I was trying to make.  

Honestly though, I've been pretty bitter, but Price has made me feel better.  It'd be nice to win this game and split the series.  Price has really given me a bit more confidence.  We better not blow this.

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
Just going to leave this here

https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/886778554767343621

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%