2017 MLB Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Mexi said:
Rich Hill starting sunday
Told you guys hes fine. Dodgers and all teams are going to abuse the 10-day dl. When you think about it, its only one start missed if its a true 10 day stint. Why wouldnt you take advantage?

Dodgers are going to baby him. Need down the stretch in august and September and hopefully october
out for the year.

Should have traded for melo

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
Aaron Rodgers said:
i just want to know , why would redsox max a 31 YO pitcher , that has bad playoff expirience on david price. os is it to much preasure for him to play in boston
why would we not? it's either have david price or some AAA guy like Matt Barnes in the rotation. not like boston has an issue with paying a lot of $$&. we're essentially the 2000s Yankees

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
PWNdroia said:
Not that I don't think he's a good pitcher, but relying on a guy who has thrown nearly 200 innings only once in his career isn't something to be happy about.  We haven't even seen the guy hold a respectable ERA or FIP over the course of a season.
except last season and the end of 2015. Hes a special case. I know 2015 was 6 starts and last year he missed some time, but hes legit

dodgers don't need 200 innings from him
They are new school. They like their depth. They will use 10-11 starters like last year and be fine. Last year maeda was their innings leader with 175. They even lost kershaw for 2 months and were absolutely fine

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Love seeing everyone wear 42 today.
Hope to see the dodgers wear the Brooklyn hats

And the Dodgers unveil their first statue today. Jackie Robinson sliding home.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Carlos Santana has 8 career homers off Verlander. That seems like a lot 

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Long Ball Lonnie

He's got long ass balls 

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
Mexi said:
except last season and the end of 2015. Hes a special case. I know 2015 was 6 starts and last year he missed some time, but hes legit

dodgers don't need 200 innings from him
They are new school. They like their depth. They will use 10-11 starters like last year and be fine. Last year maeda was their innings leader with 175. They even lost kershaw for 2 months and were absolutely fine
Valid point.  I picked them to win the division, though the postseason is a whole other story.  With the payroll they have, they should go deep in the postseason and they only did this once last year.  Still think they are overrated with that payroll.  I'd take the Cubs over them any day.

In fact, I think no team in the NL matches the Cubs at all.  Nats are similar to the Dodgers.  They'll win the division but won't go far in the postseason.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Payroll has nothing to do with how good they should be lmao
Thats such a tired, lazy argument

Cubs are better obviously. But thats the thing with baseball. The best team rarely wins

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Uh, it definitely has something to do with how good a team should be. It's a distinct advantage. 

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Obviously its better to have money than not

But people think the dodgers spend wrecklessly like theyre trying to buy a title and it's simply not the case

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
They're $40 million above the 2nd highest, and $65 million above the 5th highest

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
A lot of it is colletti and dead money

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
Mexi said:
Payroll has nothing to do with how good they should be lmao
Thats such a tired, lazy argument

Cubs are better obviously. But thats the thing with baseball. The best team rarely wins
I get that payroll doesn't determine outcomes, I'm just pointing out that the Dodgers have wasted a lot of payroll.  They've made some of the dumbest trades in the past, most notably the Beckett/Gonzalez trade.  

And with the payroll they have, I think they would go after more premium pitching than Rich Hill.  If not, to me, they just aren't asking to win.

Sometimes having too much payroll makes executives in the office dumber.  It happens to the Red Sox as well (Porcello).  Epstein trashed the Sox before he left for Chicago and Cerington was pretty much run out for some of his stupid deals (they worked only one year).  The Price deal was also very reckless if he doesn't get on track.

But as @elcheato pointed out, the Dodgers are way above payroll, and as you pointed out, they aren't trying to make payroll the end all be all, so to me, that's poor management.  The Dodgers might not be spending wrecklessly, but they aren't being smart about what they're paying for either.  Friedman may change this.

But the point I'm trying to make is that if the Dodgers aren't trying to buy a title and aren't trying to spend recklessly (I agree with you on both of these), then what are the Dodgers trying to do with their money?

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score

"I guess when you go to multiple signs with nobody on you're just saying, 'Hey, it's a little fishy,'" Verlander said. "But you never know. These guys are a really good lineup. It was just one of those days."

"I know we're not the first ones to do it (use multiple signs in Cleveland)," he said. "I know we're not the only team to accuse them of doing it (stealing signs)."
Then he paused. "I don't even know if we did accuse them."
These guys are my favorites 

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
With the exception of Matt Boyd, the Tigers rotation is pretty good. 

Teagz

Dogs.
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I'm still not convinced that Zimmermann's actually gonna be productive. That contract could end up looking really bad.

I really like Verlander/Fulmer/Norris at the top though. And Matt Boyd has the advantage of not being Anibal Sanchez which is a plus.

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
Tigers are much better than I think a lot of people thought (myself included).  Still think the Indians come out on top though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%