2015 NCAA Tournament Thread

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I will say this, the more stuff I read, the more stuff I listen to, the people "in the know" firmly believe that if a player needs to develop they need to go back to school because in the NBA that development is not always what it's made out to be. Especially if you go to a team that is actually solid like Jones would. I've always agreed with this notion.

If Austin Rivers had stayed at Duke, he would be a better player than he is today. I really believe that. If MKG had stayed for another season or two, he would be a better player today. He may actually have an offensive game. I don't think the developmental world of the NBA is roses like it's thought to be.

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
Yeah cheato you mentioned that coaches in the NCAA only play to players strengths. I think that's more true in the NBA. Maybe moreso in the real thing and less in the D-League.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I've never said it's "roses". It's just better. 

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
CameronCrazy06 said:
Yeah cheato you mentioned that coaches in the NCAA only play to players strengths. I think that's more true in the NBA. Maybe moreso in the real thing and less in the D-League.
In game, obviously, everyone does. I'm talking personal development and practice. College coaches don't have the time to develop on weaknesses like the pros do. 

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
And there is actually data out there that suggests that a player that is a rookie in the NBA (stayed in college two years) has shown more development than a sophomore in the NBA (a one and done college player) by their third year out of high school, albeit marginally.

BwareDWare94

Where were you when the world stopped turning?
Reaction score
Development absolutely depends on the situation in college. Take Kentucky, for instance. John Calipari says, "How can I best use you right now?" and that's why guys like Cauley-Stein are fucking juniors with no discernible offensive development. Even if Willie Cauley-Stein is an incredible player, I don't understand how he can have the offensive game of a gnat. Not every member of the cleanup crew turns into DeAndre Jordan. Most end up like Bismack Biyombo.

Guys like Coach K, and other programs that don't use the rent-a-player mentality to such a high degree, say, "how can I best develop you over a span of 2-4 years?"

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
Think you're being too hard on Calipari. WCS is a much better offensive player than he was when he got to UK

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
BwareDWare94 said:
Development absolutely depends on the situation in college. Take Kentucky, for instance. John Calipari says, "How can I best use you right now?" and that's why guys like Cauley-Stein are fucking juniors with no discernible offensive development. Even if Willie Cauley-Stein is an incredible player, I don't understand how he can have the offensive game of a gnat. Not every member of the cleanup crew turns into DeAndre Jordan. Most end up like Bismack Biyombo.

Guys like Coach K, and other programs that don't use the rent-a-player mentality to such a high degree, say, "how can I best develop you over a span of 2-4 years?"
Ignoring the fact that programs like that (Duke, Michigan State for example) have below average track records in terms of sending good players to the league.

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
How the hell does Duke have a below average track record?

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Jabari Parker and Kyrie are probably the best prospects they've ever sent to the NBA (Grant Hill was probably a better prospect than Parker actually). Parker was one and done, and Kyrie played 5 minutes.

:kobe:

I was more so making a point on bewares idiotic rant against Calipari.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
college coaches coach for their team or for the one and dones to win championships. id say schools like duke and coach K, do a little bit of both. izzo recruits and coaches for the team and school.

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
elcheato said:
Jabari Parker and Kyrie are probably the best prospects they've ever sent to the NBA (Grant Hill was probably a better prospect than Parker actually). Parker was one and done, and Kyrie played 5 minutes.

I was more so making a point on bewares idiotic rant against Calipari.
Elton Brand, Corey Maggette, JJ Redick, Carlos Boozer, Shane Battier, Luol Deng, Mike Dunleavy, Gerald Henderson, Josh McRoberts, Chris Duhon, etc

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Some of those guys are a stretch, but I get it, solid players.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
But the point remains on Michigan State. Izzo, a guy I'm sure Beware thinks develops his players more than Cal, has sent about 3 high quality players to the league.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Clearly he's too focused on developing his talent for the NBA, he can't win.

:troll:

Teagz

Dogs.
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Izzo just doesn't recruit the way that the other top guys do. The talent on his teams is usually less than the other top coach's talent but he still manages to win anyway, shit, this team he took to the final four didn't have an NBA player on it (except maybe Denzel Valentine).

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
It's not that he doesn't recruit the guys, he just doesn't get them. At least Jabari Parker. I can't think of any other example.

But I always hate the argument that Izzo is the best coach in America. Krzyzewski OWNS him. Hell even Roy Williams owns him and Roy sucks

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
izzo gets the best out of lesser talent. that's why he gets all the hype. is he better than the top coaches, no. that doesn't mean he's not a great coach(not that you said that).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%