Yoennis Cespedes

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Anyone heard of this guy who recently defected from Cuba? His showcase video got deleted but the dude looks like a freaking monster.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/11/07/the-scouting-video-of-yoennis-cespedes-is-absolutely-ridiculous/related/
I had not thought much of Cuban defector Yoennis Cespedes. Scouting and prospects are not exactly my strong suit, so I usually just wait to hear what the Kevin Goldsteins and Keith Laws of the world say about those guys before I take too much notice.

Well, today Goldstein has a big post about Cespedes over at Baseball Prospectus. He bases everything he says about what may be the most ridiculous/fabulous/glorious scouting video ever created for a baseball player. Read Goldstein for the analysis of it all, but feel free to watch the video below if you just want it to wash over you. All I’ll say is this: within the first three minutes there is a “Star Wars”-style opening title crawl and a Christopher Cross song which is, as crazy as it sounds, perfect for the context.

Cespedes is a gigantic man who abuses baseballs, runs (rides?) like the wind and will make an awful lot of money. But I gotta say: if all he ever does for us is star in this video, we should consider ourselves blessed.

Here's an article that Kevin Goldstein wrote about his showcase video
http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=15469

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Definitely an interesting prospect. Someone I want the Indians to pursue. It would be a risk and cost a good chunk, but it would cost even more to get an established Center Fielder on the market or even trade for one.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
if the yankees want him they'll get him

lonesomefx

The Loud Mouth Pacer
Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kREZHmOR1bg&feature=youtu.be

you're welcome. :)

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
good luck on that cheato

Sox and Yanks are planning on bidding on the kid; he'll make anywhere between $30-$45 mil

lonesomefx

The Loud Mouth Pacer
Reaction score
According to Ben Badler of Baseball America, Cuban outfielder Yoennis Cespedes had a private workout with the Yankees on Monday.
Source: Rotoworld

I hope we nab this kid. He seems like a hit or miss, I'm hoping he's a hit if we get him.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
good luck on that cheato

Sox and Yanks are planning on bidding on the kid; he'll make anywhere between $30-$45 mil
Fair and balanced system, thanks for reminding me

lonesomefx

The Loud Mouth Pacer
Reaction score
don't be surprised if he ends up in Miami. The Marlins have a good shot at him I'm hearing. I heard their payroll is increasing with the new stadium. Cespedes, H2R, LoMo and Stanton? the Marlins could have a really solid core. I left out a few names on the marlins team that I like because I'm lazy haha. Still want him to be a Yankee tho.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
ive heard the Marlins are legit trying to get players like Reyes, Fielder or even Pujols.

All that luxury tax hogging is finally paying off.

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
That video of him is funny with the music, lol. That dude is huge, how has this guy just come out of nowhere I dont get it. That guys leg strength is beast mode, damn. I wish the Mets would sign him, we need a CF'er.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
Once again, a Mets fan thinking the answer is to spend spend spend.

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
That video of him is funny with the music, lol. That dude is huge, how has this guy just come out of nowhere I dont get it. That guys leg strength is beast mode, damn. I wish the Mets would sign him, we need a CF'er.
Cuban defectors usually come out nowhere.

I'd love it if the Jays take a shot at him. I know we already have Rasmus, a very toolsy Anthony Gose and a potential 5 tool player in Marisnick but this guy a beast.

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
Once again, a Mets fan thinking the answer is to spend spend spend.
Maybe he wants to sign for cheap. We did cut like 30 million in payroll this past year. And it doesnt look like Reyes is going to resign.

.infamous

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
^He's not going to sign for cheap. Teams will be throwing all kinds of money at him.

lonesomefx

The Loud Mouth Pacer
Reaction score
if he signs with the yankees, he'll probably end up in RF. I don't see Grandy or Gardner being taken out of the field for him as much as I could see it happening to Swish. Swish could always DH if we don't call up Montero for the season.

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I highly doubt he's gonna start the year in the bigs.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
The Marlins talk big about every free agent, but one guy they seem just as well-positioned to sign as anyone is Yoenis Cespedes, and as Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post reports, they had a private workout for the guy yesterday.

“We had our top baseball people there,” [Marlins president David] Samson said. “They were certainly impressed with his ability, He’s got to tools. He’s certainly an impressive player … We think we’re a great fit because we are Miami. We are a natural destination for any Latin player,” Samson said.
Well the Marlins seem to be talking big about a lot of Free Agents. And with them being able to afford a brand new stadium I actually think they may be serious about tossing some big bucks and could bring in Cespedes, who while he may draw a lot of money, he'll be a much cheaper option than some of the other top Free Agents.

.infamous

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Tigers are interested too:

Lynn Henning of the Detroit News reports that the Tigers have "strong interest" in Cuban defector Yoenis Cespedes.
Add another team to the list, which includes no fewer than at least a half dozen that have interest in the talented Cuban. Cespedes, 26, is expected to command a deal in the $20-30 million range and probably will need little to no time in the minor leagues before being ready for a starting job in the outfield.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%