Would you Rather Sign:UFA Brad Richards or RFA Zach Parise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gibson39

Reaction score
Here is a new segment suggested by a reader in Toronto...and I love it.

It is pretty basic, but will be an on-going hockeybuzz segment as we head towards the playoffs and the off-season...and it really needs little explanation...

Heading into this off-season there are multiple rumors out there regarding two players who many feel are going to be available shortly.

Here is our first UFA showdown.

Would you rather sign UFA Brad Richards or RFA Zach Parise?

For me, this is a tough choice...

On Richards...

There was a time when Brad Richards was the out and out MVP on a Cup team which had plenty of MVPs. Then, rather suddenly, his game fell off to the point where he was virtually untradeable, and many, including myself, praised the Lightning for getting anything for Richards (and his salary) when the deal was made sending him to the Stars.

Then on Dallas Brad simply flourished in the new environment immediately. And then his game fell off again, until this season when he once again looked like that hearty kid from Murray Harbour, PEI. And now he is a the hottest forward UFA commodity heading into the summer...

On Parise...

Were I to make a list of players I would want on the ice with the game on the line, drawing from the entire NHL, Parise would get the call.

Were I to make a list of players who can turn the momentum of a game when all else is lost, Parise would get the call.

Were I to make a list of the most talented players in the NHL.... you get the point.

I love Parise and what he brings. The fact the Devils are ANYWHERE without him makes what the Devils have done even more and more commendable. The questions about his long term health are going to be there until he shows he has recovered, and if he doesn't play this year his value this summer will grow even more murky.

There were times this season we heard rumblings from about Parise being unhappy with the new direction of the team, with the Langenbrunner trade, with where the Kovalchuk signing leaves him, etc. It is a very strange dynamic when a player like Parise defines a franchise and then before he can get his big payday another player, who has done nothing for the franchise, signs a contract which is bigger than the established player will be able to command.

The first question which comes to mind is: Are the Devils committed to Parise? The second question, almost immediately, is: How will they now afford him?

The Devils are a "close to the vest" team and while they might say publicly all the right things, you have to believe they are going to wait and see if anyone out there offer sheets Z. And if offer sheet(s) come, and I do hear they will, what will the Devils do?

Many speculate the GM would let him go, but the owner may not allow that.

on the choice...Parise (RFA) vs. Richards (UFA)

We look to Toronto and an expert I trust in Toronto put it at 80% that either Parise or Richards would be a Leaf next year. Were this straight up the choice would be Parise..but of course Parise means the Leafs giving up more top picks...Richards comes at no cost in terms of prospects. Parise is a health risk (perhaps) and Richards has lacked certain consistency. I would venture to say Richards' consistency ties directly to his team's competitiveness. Therefore would Brad Richards be more valuable to a team like say, the LA Kings, than he would the Leafs? Or will the Leafs be every bit as competitive as the Kings next year with Brad Richards?
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/Would-you-Rather-SignUFA-Brad-Richards-or-RFA-Zach-Parise-Williams-Done/1/34635

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
I would love either to play on Toronto. Parise is young and talented, however the Leafs need a center to play with Kessel. Richards could easily make Kessel a 40 goal scorer.

Gibson39

Reaction score
I would love either to play on Toronto. Parise is young and talented, however the Leafs need a center to play with Kessel. Richards could easily make Kessel a 40 goal scorer.

Would be nice to see Toronto climb into the top 5 to take Hopkins. I would enjoy watching him in Toronto. But as for Richards... I would enjoy it too. The Leafs are almost there in terms of making the playoffs. Adding Lupal was a great move at the deadline, along with making Reims their starting goalie. I wouldn't mind seeing Gus come to Edmonton to be a tandem with Dubby, but his heart problems concern me.

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
Yeah unfortunately Gus doesn't fit into our plans. I just pray Reimer isn't a one hit wonder.

Gibson39

Reaction score
Yeah unfortunately Gus doesn't fit into our plans. I just pray Reimer isn't a one hit wonder.
I don't believe he is. I love his style unlike Raycroft, Toskala, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%