Why Gretzky is NOT the GOAT

Status
Not open for further replies.

STLZACH

Go Blues!
Reaction score
  1. Goalies
  2. Player Size & Strength

Goalie pads were WAY smaller and the butterfly goalie style had not yet developed. If Gretzky played today, he would have less to shoot at, meaning less goals for him and his teammates, which also means less assists. The stand-up style meant that it was much easier to score when shooting for the five-hole and bottom of the net areas. If you put these kinds of goalies (small pads, stand-up only) in today's NHL, they would get wrecked and sent to the AHL.

Players now are generally much bigger than Gretzky. Wayne stood at 5'11" (off the top of my head, I have no resources at school), and the average size of an NHL pro is probably about 6'3". He wasn't the strongest either, looked like a scrawny little shit. Take a look at some of the pro's today. They are insane huge. Maybe it's steroids, but that doesn't change the fact that they would put Gretzky in a coma with a huge hit like the one Cooke put on Savard last season.

playmaker7

The GOAT
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Well DUH

But giving the circumstances, how can you not say he's the GOAT? I don't think he'd be as good today, but thats obvious. Not his fault he didn't play in today's NHL. Blame his parents for fucking back in the 60s.

STLZACH

Go Blues!
Reaction score
his 262 becomes 130-145 in today's game. And Crosby and Stamkos are on pace to destroy that aren't they?

playmaker7

The GOAT
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
his 262 becomes 130-145 in today's game. And Crosby and Stamkos are on pace to destroy that aren't they?
You just completely overlooked the point

Until you find a measurable way to really find out who is the GOAT...then you have no point at all whatsoever.

Gretzky destroyed his era, thats what he did. The NHL changed, and there will never be a player who will be able to destroy it like that.

dcpwner

Reaction score
u cant even fucking say that, Patrick Kane is about his size and he can score too, and id say gretzky is a better playmaker than kane as well as shooting ability, so... i dont even know thatd hed be as bad as u think

Yankees2772

RIP Derek Boogaard
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Everything I've ever seen about Gretzky lists him at 6 foot and 180-190. Crosby? 5'11, and the same weight.

If you want to have this debate, then read up on what is called 'adjusted statistics' for hockey. - http://www.hockey-reference.com/about/adjusted_stats.html

In summary: it is a means for measuring statistics relative to the amount of scoring in the league that season.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/leaders/points_adjusted_season.html

Gretzky owns 7 of the top 12 seasons in adjusted points.

He is #2 all time in adjusted goals, and #1 in assists. (#1 in total points).

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
Blame his parents for fucking back in the 60s.
I literally lol'd

Remember Gretzky was also at a disadvantage too, wooden sticks etc. It was still competitive hockey, and was probably the same difficulty for players back then, as today because of the lack of development.

playmaker7

The GOAT
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I literally lol'd

Remember Gretzky was also at a disadvantage too, wooden sticks etc. It was still competitive hockey, and was probably the same difficulty for players back then, as today because of the lack of development.
Thanks lol I keeps it real

And I wouldn't say that. I think it was a lot easier to put up points back then...but its not their fault they benefit from the era.

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I never call him the GOAT but I'm biased against him lol

LeafsFan4Life

Reaction score
Players now are generally much bigger than Gretzky. Wayne stood at 5'11" (off the top of my head, I have no resources at school), and the average size of an NHL pro is probably about 6'3".
Gretzky was 6' and the average height of a NHL player is 6'1...

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Well DUH

But giving the circumstances, how can you not say he's the GOAT? I don't think he'd be as good today, but thats obvious. Not his fault he didn't play in today's NHL. Blame his parents for fucking back in the 60s.
Haha real talk.

footballplaya52

Solo Dolo
Reaction score
he is the GOAT to most people

but he is a fag and i hate him.

BOBBY ORR!!

ryanmg

Reaction score
They changed the entire fucking league because of this guy. He has nearly 1000 points more than anyone else, what's there to argue?

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The only argument comes from people in Boston and Gretzky haters lol

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Wayne Gretzky dominated his sport so much that he became a pop culture icon. Everyone knows who Wayne Gretzky is, EVERYONE. Ask somebody, who doesn't know jackshit about hockey, who Bobby Orr is...and watch them look back at you, like you've got a dick attached to your forehead.

Trying to pick apart Gretzky as the GOAT b/c of the changes in the game...would be like trying to pick apart Babe Ruth's legacy, when baseball has drastically changed a few times over, since he was alive.

Gretzky, Jordan, Jerry Rice...they were the big 3 of that era in sports, everyone knew them & they were all over the 90's, period.

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Ask somebody, who doesn't know jackshit about hockey, who Bobby Orr is...and watch them look back at you, like you've got a dick attached to your forehead.
That's not, or shouldn't be, a knock on Orr. What buisness does someone who doesn't know jackshit about hockey have in determining who the GOAT is? GOAT isn't always "most popular".

Again, I'm not trying to argue between the two because, obviously, my opinion is biased. Just that statement stood out to me.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
That's not, or shouldn't be, a knock on Orr. What buisness does someone who doesn't know jackshit about hockey have in determining who the GOAT is? GOAT isn't always "most popular".

Again, I'm not trying to argue between the two because, obviously, my opinion is biased. Just that statement stood out to me.
Bobby Orr is the GOAT when we're talking about numbers and championships....both of which Gretzky has going for him. In addition to what he achieved on the ice, Gretzky has that whole pop-culture icon thing and he was the face of the game for too long. Gretzky was what put the NHL on so much network television in the 90's. Its interesting how much interest declined after "The Great One" called it a career. Even before the lockout, a majority of the United States stopped giving a shit about watching hockey and the casual fan appeal was steadily on the decline.

Gtown81

Luke 23:34
Reaction score
players were still huge back then, smh

and u could get away with a lot too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%