Where to now T.O.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Okay...time to begin the speculation now that Dallas has officially several ties with Mr. I Love Myself.

Love him or hate him, T.O. is one of the most physically gifted receivers in the league, he is a hell of a presence, and his numbers don't lie. 35 years old now but still commands a ton of respect from any secondary and is still a #1 if you ask me. What will be a nice change of pace for all of us to see...T.O. is no longer the one calling the shots.

For the first time in his life, Owens is most likely going to have to take what he can get. I can see a handful of NFL teams willing to take a gamble & adding him to their locker-room...however not many will be willing to shell out a ton of cash to do it. T.O. always made big demands to only playing with stellar NFL quarterbacks...but he might get stuck playing for a less-than-stellar quarterback this time around.

So let the process of elimination begin...

Now what I have done is subtracted all of the NFL teams that are clearly not in the T.O. market. This includes: bridges already burnt down by Terrell Owens, most of the contenders who don't need him and wouldn't take the risk, teams that already have a top WR duo, and teams that would be typically too conservative to make a T.O.-like move.

After going through all 32 NFL teams, here's the list of candidates I came up with:

- I've already heard ESPN's Cris Carter name them as his most likely candidate & he's definitely not alone in that opinion. After losing out on the Houshmandzadeh bidding and then watching longtime center Matt Birk bolt to Baltimore, there is no doubt that the Vikings need to make a big move & this could be their chance. In desperate need to upgrade their passing game and with plenty of cap room, T.O.'s addition could very well put this team in heavy contention for the NFC Championship. As far as T.O. is concerned, the Vikings could pay him & they may be the biggest contender he draws interest from.

- Another obvious team that will be thrown out there by everyone involved. We all know Al Davis is a superstar magnet and a media whore. While some may argue whether or not T.O. is still a superstar, there is no arguing that where he goes, the media follows. I think Al Davis will be chomping at the bit for the opportunity to land Owens...but the question is whether or not T.O. wants to play in Oakland. T.O. can pull a decent contract out of the Raiders but he can kiss any hopes of ever winning a Super Bowl title goodbye.

- Maybe not as big of a possibility as the other 2 but T.O. spends a lot of time in Atlanta and the Falcons could benefit from the upgrade to the receiving corps. I have already heard some NFL Radio commentators kick the Falcons name around as well...but I have my doubts. I think Arthur Blank was tired of all the negative media attention courtesy of Michael Vick & I think he is finally comfortable with the new page that his team turned in 2008.

- I'd look at Tennessee as a dark-horse team who I doubt anyone else fingers as a possibility. What I am thinking is if Kerry Collins can do what he did last season, only having Brandon Jones and Justin McCariens to throw to, imagine to possibilities by adding a Terrell Owens. Now T.O. would most likely welcome a job from the Titans but after losing Haynesworth to FA, Tennessee may be focused more on the defensive side of the ball.

- The Bears are my final candidate...simply because they have the potential to compete for their division title & are one of the more wide receiver-needy teams in the league. After fielding Marty Booker and Brandon Lloyd last season, I have to believe the Bears and their fans are hungry for a top target. I can guarantee Kyle Orton's numbers go up with a guy like Owens to throw to.

Now Owens may not begin searching for a new until next week...at least not until he is over the initial shock that he and Jerry Jones are "boys" after all. Right now, many NFL teams are sitting around and asking themselves is Owens' ability and production outweigh the distraction he could bring. Now Owens seems like he may S.O.L but if you think about it, this might be the opportunity to re-invent himself. No doubt he is going to go to a team that would rely on him for most of their production through the air. One thing we know T.O. wants is all the attention in the world which has me thinking that playing for a team like the Vikings or Falcons would actually work. I can tell you as a Vikings fan right now that if T.O. is on our offense, hes going to get waaay more looks than Berrian or Shiancoe would.

Regardless, T.O. needs to look at this opportunity as a fresh start to the finish of his career. The guy has Hall of Fame numbers, no doubt, and all he needs to do now if continue to be productive and find a way to not be such a negative distraction to his team. If Owens goes to a team like the Vikings or Falcons, remains humble, does his job, supports his teammates and takes the same approach Randy Moss did with the Pats...he might just get another shot at a Super Bowl and he will end up in the HOF someday. -AE

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
If Owens goes to a team like the Vikings or Falcons, remains humble, does his job, supports his teammates and takes the same approach Randy Moss did with the Pats...he might just get another shot at a Super Bowl and he will end up in the HOF someday.
I had you all the way till here man because, as you know, that's highly unlikely.

I'd like to see it, but Michael Smith said it best when he broke the story. When Randy had his problems it was about a lack of motivation and problems with staff. He always got along with his teammates for the most part. With TO, he gets along with some guys, but he's mostly all about TO. And that usually causes conflicts with a lot of people.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I had you all the way till here man because, as you know, that's highly unlikely.

I'd like to see it, but Michael Smith said it best when he broke the story. When Randy had his problems it was about a lack of motivation and problems with staff. He always got along with his teammates for the most part. With TO, he gets along with some guys, but he's mostly all about TO. And that usually causes conflicts with a lot of people.
In my defense I said "if"...I didn't say that it was going to happen. I heard Michael Smith and I agree with what he said. Randy Moss and Terrell Owens are 2 different people & have had 2 different problems. I never looked at Moss as somebody who ever begged for the attention like T.O. does. Matter of fact, Moss is a pretty private person.

Chris Mortenson just brought up a point that completely slipped my mind. Brad Childress = former Eagles O-Coordinator. Damn...we are going to need Zygi to use his power to "veto".

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I didn't mean to single you out, just used as a base to start a convo lol

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I didn't mean to single you out, just used as a base to start a convo lol
I gotcha. I was merely continuing the convo.

dlc7619

Reaction score
Which team would want the headache of T.O. Nice to see him in Baltimore but that probably will not happen after the last time

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Which team would want the headache of T.O. Nice to see him in Baltimore but that probably will not happen after the last time
A team in need of 70 catches, 1,000 yards receiving, and 10 touchdowns. Those stats will be tough to accomplish depending on what offense he is playing in...but there's no denying he's still got the talent to produce those numbers.

Again, its all going to boil down to what team is willing to do with the ego and the media attention.

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
I think the team that signs him needs a strong team locker room. Storied franchises that wont put up with his bs. Teams like the Steelers, Patriots, or Giants. With that said I think he goes to the Falcons.

Macken

GFX Crew Capt
Reaction score
i could see him going to the giants.. but not sure if i want him on the vikes.. argue with my AE. change my mind please

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
i could see him going to the giants.. but not sure if i want him on the vikes.. argue with my AE. change my mind please
I dont think I want him on the Vikings either....but I want somebody with his ability. It's a tough call here and I am asking whether or not I should just 'sell out' b/c I want a Super Bowl title...or stay stubborn and hope T.O. winds up a Raider.

I really think the Raiders might be his only legit option to this point. Childress most likely won't be willing to re-unite, Atlanta wouldn't make the move b/c they are still building for the future and tired of the distractions, and a contender like Pittsburgh or the Giants won't want him b/c they don't need him and they are good enough to not have to put up with his BS if they dont have to.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I go where TO goes. I become a small fan of any team he joins. Also as he doesn't go to anyone in the NFC North at least.

So I no longer follow Dallas :/

TO FTW<3

Digital_Viking

Reaction score
if T.O. goes to the Vikings, then someone can make me a pretty rainbow unicorn sig that i will wear for a week.

Gtown81

Luke 23:34
Reaction score
I can see him going to Oakland basically because Oakland signs these kind of guys.

Cejis33

Serve the Servants
Reaction score
chances are low but what if...

Owens went to New England and Belicheck got Owens head under control...

Brady throwing to Moss on the left, Owens on right and Welker cutting in...

That is like 75 TDs in a year

.s31t

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
When I heard TO got released first team that came to my mind was Minnesota... I don't think they will bring him in Atlanta because he is a team distraction... Especially since they have a lot of young talent. I think if you are the Eagles you might want to make a run at him if you cannot bring in Marvin Harrison (hometown guy). I'd like to say the Raiders but he wouldn't make it there. There is too many management issues there anyways... Minnesota or Chicago is the place he will land and giving Minnesota a number 1 wide out makes AP even more of a threat... You are just a player of way of possibly being a Superbowl Contender Minnesota.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I think he'll go to Oakland. I don't know if another team will put up with his antics. But who knows. I could see him going to a team desperate for a receiver but that's about it I don't see anyone going after him to pair him up with another good/great receiver.

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
chances are low but what if...

Owens went to New England and Belicheck got Owens head under control...

Brady throwing to Moss on the left, Owens on right and Welker cutting in...

That is like 75 TDs in a year
NO lol

No one is going to control TO and I don't want him on my team. That money could be well spent somewhere else.

MapleLeaf

Squirtle Squirt!
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Yeah Cejis. Owens is no Moss. Moss just had problems with being motivated and staying focused, it's the personality of Owens which is basically impossible to change especially with him on the latter of his career

Digital_Viking

Reaction score
I think if you are the Eagles you might want to make a run at him if you cannot bring in Marvin Harrison (hometown guy).
this will never happen, since T.O. was already in philly for like 2 years and him and McNabb were pretty much ready to hire hitmen on each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%