What if there was no such thing as stats?

TTN2810

Reaction score
What if there were no stats? No yards, TD's, INT's, tackles etc, and the only thing that was kept was team wins? How do you think fans opinions of players would change?

I understand this is entirely implausible, but let's just pretend no one thought of counting the stats for some reason, or no one cared.

GO!

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
A lot of players would be even more overrated than they are

TTN2810

Reaction score
elcheato said:
A lot of players would be even more overrated than they are
Why do you say that? I feel the opposite, actually.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Because a lot of players on winning teams are overvalued as is. If there were no stats to show back up claims of a guy on a worse team being better, it would just instantly be assumed because so and so plays for this team, they're better.

playmaker7

The GOAT
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
elcheato said:
Because a lot of players on winning teams are overvalued as is. If there were no stats to show back up claims of a guy on a worse team being better, it would just instantly be assumed because so and so plays for this team, they're better.
THIS

TTN2810

Reaction score
I think less so. Guys on good teams generally have better stats because they have better players around them helping them achieve huge numbers. If the stats were then gone guys who just flat out play better would get recognition.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Here's the thing. There are a lot of positions that are tough to judge even with stats, especially defensive players. With no stats, and not having the ability or resources to watch every team extensively, you'd just be picking guys on top teams. Player perception would be controlled by media outlets even more than it is now.

footballplaya52

Solo Dolo
Reaction score
Not recording blocks didnt stop bill Russell from being regarded as the best defensive center probably ever

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
He played on a team that won 11 rings too, and basketball is much easier to gauge with the human eye than football imo

footballplaya52

Solo Dolo
Reaction score
elcheato said:
He played on a team that won 11 rings too, and basketball is much easier to gauge with the human eye than football imo
Well I get baked and say things mkay lol

TTN2810

Reaction score
Media focuses on the guys who put up the big stats though. Yes defense is hard to gauge. But the reason the media knows who is "good" or not is because of sacks, or INT's or tackles. With those stats gone, it's going to take a knowledgable mind to point out who's good. Right now if the media gets questioned, they can just back up their argument by pointing to the big stats. Without stats, they would actually have to point out why a player is good.

But really, no one could ever know how this scenario would actually go lol.

footballplaya52

Solo Dolo
Reaction score
It'd be easier to distinguish corners and recievers imo. Also I think it would shift to clutch players being considered better. Because those are the plays that would draw focus.big td receptions and game breaking defensive plays

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
It's going to take a knowledgable mind to explain why someone is good, but odds are that's not what you'd get. Could you imagine the Tebow bullshit being even larger? Because that's how it'd be if we didnt have stats. People still thought he was good even though every stat but wins says he's awful. Get rid of stats and he's probably still the Broncos starter

footballplaya52

Solo Dolo
Reaction score
elcheato said:
It's going to take a knowledgable mind to explain why someone is good, but odds are that's not what you'd get. Could you imagine the Tebow bullshit being even larger? Because that's how it'd be if we didnt have stats. People still thought he was good even though every stat but wins says he's awful. Get rid of stats and he's probably still the Broncos starter
Bingo. Dude won games. And the luck insanity would be over the top due to all the comebacks.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The Colts GM came out and said they wouldn't have won 12 games without Trent Richardson and his sub 3.0 YPC. That's the kind of stuff that would be dominating opinions

TTN2810

Reaction score
It doesn't take stats to see Richardson sucks. That's the GM covering his ass IMO. And I'm not sure any outside opinions would have kept a real football mind of a GM/coach from canning Tebow. But yes, his hype probably would have been even more lol. But I think he's an exception for this. 

I think guys like Andy Dalton would be gone by now. If it wasn't for his 33 TD's I don't think he would have a starting job. Without that number, all you see is erratic passes everywhere, for example.

footballplaya52

Solo Dolo
Reaction score
No all you see is playoff losses lol. Which is enough by itself with wins being the main stat.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%