Wade Phillips On Cowboys Hot seat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

.GR

#BlackFalcon
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Jerry Jones isn't getting itchy with his trigger finger when it comes to his head coach despite three losses in four games. Jerry made that clear in a somber Cowboys locker room, even managing to make a joke about canning coaches after Super Bowl wins. "I think there can be a change in effort, intensity, those kind of things on each individual basis," Jerry said after the 34-14 loss to the Rams. "But I'm not talking about the kind of change with coach or coaches or philosophy or some of the stuff we're doing scheme-wise generally. "But it certainly for me sobers me up more than at any point this year about the job we've got to do to get a good team, hopefully a healthier team, to get in the position where we can compete at the end of the year. This is not the same feeling that I had with our other two losses." Phillips didn't try to pump any sunshine about winning the fourth quarter, and he didn't make any whiny excuses. He accurately called this the Cowboys' worst performance of his tenure.

dez

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Even though I hate they Cowboys, Ive always liked Wade Phillips. I dont think this is as much his fault as its Jerry Jones.

You bring in talented but troubled players, what do you expect? You trade for a WR when your secondary is the problem, what do you expect? I think he's just looking for ascapegoat to blame for the mistakes HE has made.

Hoffa

Reaction score
Even though I hate they Cowboys, Ive always liked Wade Phillips. I dont think this is as much his fault as its Jerry Jones.

You bring in talented but troubled players, what do you expect? You trade for a WR when your secondary is the problem, what do you expect? I think he's just looking for ascapegoat to blame for the mistakes HE has made.
It's not Jerry Jones fault. Jerry wants to win, and Jerry won 3 Super Bowls win the Cowboys while Wade Phillips can't win a damn playoffs game. And Wade Phillips is that little <Censored> that has been "play-calling" instead of our defensive coordinator!!!!!! same with the offensive plays. If you know anything about the Cowboys is that Wade Phillips CANNOT call plays, he sucks at picking the right plays.

Wade Phillips is a fat <Censored> in my book! FIRE HIM!

jarrod2323

The Godfather
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
he's always called plays, including last year when they went 13-3... Phillips is not the problem. Lack of depth on the Defense is. Key injuries and FA losses have hurt the DEF more than they would like to admit

Hoffa

Reaction score
he's always called plays, including last year when they went 13-3... Phillips is not the problem. Lack of depth on the Defense is. Key injuries and FA losses have hurt the DEF more than they would like to admit
No he hasn't it was all Jason Garrett was the offensive play caller last year even Wade Phillips himself said it, I don't even know where you got that information from. I know for a fact Jason Garrett was the play caller they even said in on FoxSports when I was watching them play.

Why do you think Jerry Jones game Jason Garrett that big contract because of a good job he did last year with play calling.

jarrod2323

The Godfather
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Phillips isn't calling OFF plays, he's calling DEF plays..
He suggested a total of 2 OFF plays last week - this coming from Garrett himself.

while Phillips' defense is looking porous right now, the offense does not have the swagger it should, either.. So, Garrett to blame, too.

Phillips might need to allow someone on the Defense to call plays instead of himself for a change... but Phillips is far away from the main problem right now on the 'Boys

Hoffa

Reaction score
Phillips isn't calling OFF plays, he's calling DEF plays..
He suggested a total of 2 OFF plays last week - this coming from Garrett himself.

while Phillips' defense is looking porous right now, the offense does not have the swagger it should, either.. So, Garrett to blame, too.

Phillips might need to allow someone on the Defense to call plays instead of himself for a change... but Phillips is far away from the main problem right now on the 'Boys
Okay but you do understand its not is job to call defensive plays. It's Stewarts since he is the defensive coordinator.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I think Cris Carter and Keyshawn hit the nail on the head last night.

Phillips is a good coach...but not a head coach best suited to handle all the egos and personalities that fill out the Dallas Cowboys' roster.

dust247

Reaction score
If you guys think Wade Phillips is bad, just wait until Jason Garrett takes the helm. He's the one calling the offensive plays and he has no experience as the man in complete control. I don't think it would make any sense to fire Phillips at this point in the season, because you're going to get the same result no matter who the head coach is. Head coaches can only go far to get players prepared to play the game, but if the players aren't healthy enough to play the game, you're already in a hole. Just wait until Tony Romo comes back, along with the other key injured players the Cowboys have received, before you put this head coach on the hot seat.

dez

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Cowboys fans are so quick to put the blame on everyone else except the players and Jerry Jones. And those guys are the real problems. He's trying to win now, but just with his offense.

This is a "what have you done for me lately sport" and yes the Cowboys have won SB's and all that but what have they done lately? NOTHING. No playoff wins in what? 5-6 years?

YOU CANT WIN W/O DEFENSE.

JoshHoward5

LONG LIVE THE CHARIOT
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Cowboys fans are so quick to put the blame on everyone else except the players and Jerry Jones. And those guys are the real problems. He's trying to win now, but just with his offense.

This is a "what have you done for me lately sport" and yes the Cowboys have won SB's and all that but what have they done lately? NOTHING. No playoff wins in what? 5-6 years?

YOU CANT WIN W/O DEFENSE.
I believe it has been over 10 years, not 5-6. But Philips is not to blame here, really it's the complete lack of leadership on this team. The chemistry of this team is just terrible, and they don't have a guy that they could rally around. Last year it was Romo, but this year he lost some of that edge. They need someone to fire them up, and have them go out and win games. The have the talent to win nearly every game, but they don't have the desire too.

But that all comes back to Jerry Jones and him getting all these egomanics. These are the guys that feel like they are accomplished, and don't have the same kind of fire that most of the league does. Because it's all about them, not winning.

Macken

GFX Crew Capt
Reaction score
Jones is just looking for someone to blame for his horrible decisions he has made.. lets trade our best draft picks for a mediocre (sp) reciever...

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
December 28, 1996 - Last Dallas Playoff win.

jarrod2323

The Godfather
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
from ESPN.com today
Dallas Cowboys coach Wade Phillips has taken over defensive play-calling duties from defensive coordinator Brian Stewart, according to a team source.
Obviously, he WASN'T even calling the plays this year..

so, blow that theory out the window

RB!

Reaction score
Phillips will be calling the defense plays for the Cowboys this week. I'm thinking the Cowboys/Bucs game is going to be pretty good on Sunday.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Dallas actually has been calling plays on defense this whole time?

Hoffa

Reaction score
Jones is just looking for someone to blame for his horrible decisions he has made.. lets trade our best draft picks for a mediocre (sp) reciever...
A mediocre wide receiver? You think Roy Williams is a mediocre wide receiver? If you do that makes you a dumbass. Roy Williams is far from mediocre buddy, he is better then any wide receiver on Vikings and that is a FACT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%