Wade: James Is Not A Quitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Young One

The Champion
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
They've been teammates for only a week, and Dwyane Wade is already standing up for LeBron James.

Wade defended the NBA's two-time reigning MVP on Thursday, telling The Associated Press that James "didn't quit" on Cleveland during the playoffs. That was the accusation made by Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert last week, not long after James went on television to reveal he was leaving Cleveland for Miami.

"He's not a quitter," Wade said. "He didn't quit."

In an interview with The AP on July 8, Gilbert not only levied the quitting charge, but said James got "a free pass" for too long. The NBA fined Gilbert $100,000 earlier this week for some of his comments, with commissioner David Stern saying they were too extreme for the league's liking.

Wade said he watched every game in Cleveland's second-round series against Boston, the team that eliminated the Heat in the opening round of the postseason. The Celtics used a similar defensive scheme against James as they did against Wade to open the playoffs, throwing a slew of challenges in the way of both.

"LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Kobe Bryant, guys like that understand what Boston's defense was about," Wade said. "Their defense was built on not letting one player beat them. You either settle for the outside shot or you pass to your teammates. LeBron had one bad game in the playoffs. Other than that, he did what he could do with the defense all watching him."

The Cavs lost to the Celtics in six games, but Wade pointed out that in the series finale, James finished with 27 points, 19 rebounds and 10 assists.

Nonetheless, Gilbert told The AP, "watch the tape. The Boston series was unlike anything in the history of sports for a superstar."

The Cavaliers were beaten by 32 points in Game 5, a stunning loss at home. During the game, James appeared distracted and disinterested, often glaring at Cleveland's coaches as the Cavs tried to foul to get back into the game in the second half. James also made some puzzling postgame comments, saying he had "spoiled" people with his play over seven seasons.

In that Game 5 loss to Boston, James scored 15 points on 3 of 14 shooting.

In Game 6 against Boston, even as now-former Cavs coach Mike Brown tried to get his players to foul as time was winding down, James appeared to wave him off, almost resigned that the season was ending and there was nothing Cleveland could do at that point. Gilbert also said he believes James quit on the Cavs in Game 6 of their series in 2009 against Orlando.

"I don't see where you can get where he quit," Wade said. "He just had one bad game. It happens. Kobe had a bad game in the finals. They won. It didn't matter. LeBron's teammates didn't help him out that game and it made the way he played even worse. But he's not a quitter. He didn't quit."

As James pointed out in his welcome-to-Miami event on July 9, Bryant made only 6 of his 24 shots in Game 7 of the finals against Boston, which his Los Angeles Lakers won anyway for their second straight NBA title.

"He knew he had help and guys came through for him," James said last week of Bryant's Game 7 showing in the finals.

James was the subject of countless jokes during Wednesday's ESPY awards, and Wade saw the humor in some of them. Others, however, had him bristling.

"You get defensive with things like that," Wade said. "He's a good friend. You understand people say it because it's a hot topic. They wanted people to react in a positive way or a negative way, just because it's a hot topic to talk about. It's a punch line. They just wanted to have something to do with it. They wanted to feel involved in some way.

♠Spades♠

Reaction score
oh yes he is. he had the talent to be the best of all time if he stayed in cle, but he decided to bolt to Miami and ring chase. that is a quitter in my eyes.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
oh yes he is. he had the talent to be the best of all time if he stayed in cle, but he decided to bolt to Miami and ring chase. that is a quitter in my eyes.
Not only are you wrong about Lebron's talents being less with his playing in Miami but he's never been in a position to challenge that best of all time spot.

♠Spades♠

Reaction score
Not only are you wrong about Lebron's talents being less with his playing in Miami but he's never been in a position to challenge that best of all time spot.
So let me get his straight. Do u think he hurt his legacy by leaving cle? IMO he sure did, with his talents he certainly had the chance to be one of the best. top 5. Now that he decided to join wade and bosh his numbers will sacrifice and take a hit.

He said all the time when he was with the cavs, i wont leave, i wont ring chase, and what does he do, he goes to Miami to chase a ring and form the big 3. that my friend is called quitting on your team. If u did see the last game against the Celtics in the playoffs he indeed quit on his team.

footballplaya52

Solo Dolo
Reaction score
haters gonna hate. i would have gone to play with wade and bosh.

and MJ will always be the goat so it doesnt matter anyway

♠Spades♠

Reaction score
haters gonna hate. i would have gone to play with wade and bosh.

and MJ will always be the goat so it doesnt matter anyway
says the heat fan. :p

ill admit, i was shocked when he decided to go to miami. personally im a bulls fan and wanted him to come to chi town.

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
Well if you think about it, maybe Lebron came to the conclusion that he couldnt do it by himself and match up to the legacy of Jordan. So what better thing to do than win your own rings and never have to live up to that kind of pressure? Its a possible reason why Lebron left Cleveland.

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
Wade's right. LeBron didn't quit in Game 6...

He quit in Game 5.

VC15

Reaction score
Lebron James is slowly but steadily earning my respect.

playmaker7

The GOAT
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
That little remark about Kobe is the worst comment ever

playmaker7

The GOAT
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Lol. Come on Wade... Kobe also played amazing in many of those games, so.
He was trying his ass off but he just wasn't hitting shots. He had like 15 rebounds too...

Kobe sucked it up that game but he was doing his damned best to make sure they won a title

ZigZag

TEH GREAT ZIGGY
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
How cute, Wade is even speaking for LeBron now

werebarret

Reaction score
LeBron's like the kid who sucks at Madden and doesn't have the patience to learn how to win, so he goes into the default rosters and trades all the best players to his team in the hope that he will then destroy all competition.

playmaker7

The GOAT
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
LeBron's like the kid who sucks at Madden and doesn't have the patience to learn how to win, so he goes into the default rosters and trades all the best players to his team in the hope that he will then destroy all competition.
Realest <Censored> ever

Thats the best comparison I've ever seen

VC15

Reaction score
Win by any means necessary?

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
LMAO sigged.

werebarret

Reaction score
Win by any means necessary?
win by any means necessary, even its by cheapening the whole game. The kid who trades Michael Vick, Randy Moss, Priest Holmes, Terrell Owens, and Marvin Harrison to his team in Madden 2005 is probably going to destroy all comers. But does it really mean anything?

jdelarosa

Reaction score
win by any means necessary, even its by cheapening the whole game. The kid who trades Michael Vick, Randy Moss, Priest Holmes, Terrell Owens, and Marvin Harrison to his team in Madden 2005 is probably going to destroy all comers. But does it really mean anything?
It does not mean anything if you suck at the game.

funnygunny

Reaction score
Strictly speaking though, if you had the choice to team up with Wade and Bosh (keeping in mind they are both brilliant in their positions) and then finally have a chance of winning a championship, wouldn't you take it? Or would you rather stay in your old team and be "one of the best" but never get a ring? Personally, I'd team up with Wade and Bosh, but that's just my opinion...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%