Vince Young almost quit NFL after rookie season

Status
Not open for further replies.

bulls12

Reaction score
From ESPN.com
Pressure almost pushed Young out of NFL after one season

Vince Young is known for escaping pressure. The quarterback almost took that to extremes.

The Tennessee Titans 2006 Rookie of the Year told NFL.com in an interview posted on Monday that he considered retirement after his first season.

"I really thought long and hard about it," Young told the Web site. "There was so much going on with my family. It was crazy being an NFL quarterback. It wasn't fun anymore. All of the fun was out of it. All of the excitement was gone. All I was doing was worrying about things.

"My teammates helped lift me out of it. I prayed really hard. And I began to focus on God's calling for me. Play football. Be a role model."

Young was installed as the Titans starter in Week 4 of his rookie season and led Tennessee to an 8-8 record. The Titans barely missed making the playoffs, but Young was named to the Pro Bowl.

Last season, the Titans did make it to the playoffs, but Young threw all nine of the team's touchdown passes for the fewest of any team in the league. Nonetheless, he learned to live with the pressure of being an NFL quarterback.

He proved that to himself when he handled scrutiny that came his way when pictures of him drinking shirtless at a party showed up on the Internet.

"I have a stronger circle," Young told the Web site. "Now I can handle this kind of stuff without it making me want to give up football. I learned that 24/7 I'm representing the Titans and, especially, the kids all over I am trying to influence. I look at my man Michael Vick. I learned from that. I look at Pacman [Jones]. I learned from that. I look at some troubles recently for rappers T.I. and Lil Wayne, guys I listen to. I learned from them. I've learned from my life."

jarrod2323

The Godfather
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
yeah, read this a few days ago.. interesting..

he was at the Wal-Mart 2 Saturdays ago next to my house.... but I didn't know about it until Sunday, the day after .... :(

bulls12

Reaction score
At least he's learning something from Michael Vick lol.

steven64

Reaction score
Well i'm glad Young is learning from his mistakes. Hopefully in the next few years the Titans may be a team to worry about. He's a good QB and is still learning the ropes it sounds like.

Gtown81

Luke 23:34
Reaction score
What would he have done if he had quit, it's a good thing he didn't but how could he. He wouldn't have a job. And awhile ago I heard he isn't that smart.

bulls12

Reaction score
What would he have done if he had quit, it's a good thing he didn't but how could he. He wouldn't have a job. And awhile ago I heard he isn't that smart.
Yeah he's not very smart, I think he got a 9 on the Wonderlic test. :rotfl:

steven64

Reaction score
He must be smart enough to know most or all of the Titans Playbook?

JoshHoward5

LONG LIVE THE CHARIOT
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
He's smart, the wonderlic doesn't measure intelligence truly. Have you seen him talk, his speech is so much better then most of the guys in the NFL.

On topic now. That would of really sucked if Vince would of quit. But it just sounds like he went through some rookie blues, and had a tough time. He pulled through it, and will most likely keep going.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%