Turner Gill=New KU Football Coach

The Young One

The Champion
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
LAWRENCE, Kan. (AP) — The Turner Gill era kicked off at Kansas with a promise that fans will never forget.
"I've been asked if I'm taking this job to get to another program. The answer to that is a very decisive 'no,"' Gill, a former Nebraska quarterback and Buffalo head coach, said Monday at a packed news conference.

"I'm not coming here to use it as a stepping stone to a football dynasty, but rather to create a football dynasty here at KU. I hope to be here 15 or 20 years because if I'm here 15 or 20 years, that will mean we have done well."

Athletic director Lew Perkins said following the news conference that Gill will make "about $2 million a year," very close to what former coach Mark Mangino was paid.

Gill wasted no time in adding some heft to his staff: He said Carl Torbush was leaving as Mississippi State defensive coordinator to join the Jayhawks in a similar capacity. Former San Diego State head coach Chuck Long will be Kansas' offensive coordinator.

Torbush was also head coach at Louisiana Tech and North Carolina, so both coordinators will bring head-coaching experience.

The 47-year-old Gill was 20-30 in four seasons after taking over a Buffalo program that for years had been nothing but a bottom feeder — not unlike the Jayhawks during most of the past 40 years in the Big Eight/Big 12.

But he quickly built the Bulls into conference contenders and was MAC coach of the year in 2007 and '08, continuing a lifetime of success which included a brilliant career as a Nebraska quarterback and assistant coach.

"I'm a competitor. I love to win," Gill said. "I've been blessed and had opportunities where I've been successful just about everywhere I've been. I hope that happens here at the University of Kansas."
I was iffy on this hire at first because of his last season at buffalo. But he won me over with his press conference and the fact that he wants to build us into a football power. I'm definetly gonna be supportive of Coach Gill. Rock Chalk Jayhawk

The Young One

The Champion
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Kendall Gill wasnt a beastly quarterback...so screw him.

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
Kendall Gill wasnt a beastly quarterback...so screw him.
Kendall Gill was on that awesome show "My Brother and Me" on Nickelodeon and thats way more famous then that Turner Gill will be, lol.

The Young One

The Champion
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Yeah well Turner Gill was a Heisman Canidate....and went 28-2 at NU beat that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%