Top 103 Players In The NFL Today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Bid'Ness

4 Life
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Jeff Risdon/RealGM - It is always difficult to come up with the best way to attack a list like this. Should it reflect value to the team and impact on the game? Or is it based on who I would pick to build a team around going forward? Do you base it more on tangible statistics or give more weight to that which does not show up in the box score?

I decided to do my own little hybrid based upon how I evaluate college players for the draft. I factor overall grade but give extra weight to players that are clearly well advanced from their positional peers, and also more weight to what are generally perceived as the more important positions (QB, CB, DE/OLB, OT). This is a reflection on the present, not worrying about age or growth potential going forward; that list would be decidedly different.

Why 103? Because that is my standard college draft format and it keeps the copycats at bay.

1. Tom Brady, QB, Patriots. Better than Manning in the regular season, but his playoff drought is becoming disturbing for his talent level. The TD/INT ratio is unbelievably superlative.

2. Peyton Manning, QB, Colts. Still the master, even though the chinks in the armor are starting to show a little more--in no small part because the OL has regressed. People forget about his amazing downfield accuracy and arm strength. The neck injury concerns me quite a bit.

3. DeMarcus Ware, LB, Cowboys. A consistent terror to QBs that beats blocks will all sorts of moves and styles, and his run defense has continued to improve.

4. James Harrison, LB, Steelers. He might be “dirty”, but no defensive player scares offensive players more, and he uses that to his great advantage.

5. Darelle Revis, CB, NY Jets. The best shutdown corner of this era, and he allows Rex Ryan to get real creative with his defense around Revis Island.

6. Patrick Willis, LB, 49ers. Gets lost by playing on a lousy team in the NFC West wasteland. If he played in the NFC East, he would be beatified for his ability to do just about everything better than just about everyone else.

7. Aaron Rodgers, QB, Packers. Quite an amazing two seasons he has had, culminated with a Super Bowl win. The next great one.

8. Haloti Ngata, DT, Baltimore. Dominant force that makes everyone around him better.

9. Troy Polamalu, S, Steelers. Injuries are an issue, but no defensive player has a greater impact on the game than when he is playing at or above 90% health. There are several Steeler defenders on this list, but he is the one irreplaceable guy

10. Adrian Peterson, RB, Minnesota. Freakishly gifted talent that has thrived in all sorts of situations.

11. Joe Thomas, T, Cleveland
12. Philip Rivers, QB, San Diego
13. Ben Roethlisberger, QB, Steelers
14. Clay Matthews, LB, Green Bay
15. Larry Fitzgerald, WR, Arizona

16. Nick Mangold, C, NY Jets. Spotlight: Mangold is the cream of a very impressive young center crop, the most well-rounded and the most difficult to play against.

17. Chris Johnson, RB, Tennessee
18. Drew Brees, QB, New Orleans
19. Calvin Johnson, WR, Lions
20. Ed Reed, S, Baltimore

21. Andre Johnson, WR, Texans. Spotlight: Since moving to Houston I have come to appreciate more fully his awesomeness, but a double-digit TD season remains an albatross.

22. Nnamdi Asomugha, CB, Philadelphia
23. Tamba Hali, LB, Kansas City
24. Vince Wilfork, DT, New England

25. Maurice Jones-Drew, RB, Jacksonville. Spotlight: Tends to get overlooked when talking about great running backs, but he does more with less than anyone else.

26. Justin Tuck, DL, NY Giants
27. Julius Peppers, DE, Chicago
28. Roddy White, WR, Atlanta
29. Jahri Evans, G, New Orleans

30. Kevin Williams, DT, Minnesota. Spotlight: Very active widebody can crash the pocket and stuff the run. A real handful even for double teams.

31. Lamarr Woodley, LB, Pittsburgh
32. Jake Long, T, Miami
33. Jared Allen, DE, Minnesota

34. Lance Briggs, LB, Chicago. Spotlight: He has been more consistently better than the more heralded Urlacher for years now.

35. Chris Long, DE, St. Louis
36. Charles Woodson, CB, Green Bay
37. Antonio Gates, TE, San Diego

38. Shane Lechler, P, Oakland. Spotlight: A punter?!? Not an obvious choice, but Lechler is the best punter in the history of the NFL and that deserves respect.

39. Ndamukong Suh, DT, Detroit
40. Trent Cole, DE, Philadelphia
41. Brandon Marshall, WR, Miami
42. Desean Jackson, WR/RS, Philadelphia
43. Justin Smith, DE, San Francisco
44. Tramon Williams, CB, Green Bay

45. Darnell Dockett, DE, Arizona. Spotlight: Makes big plays in bunches, but those bunches were less frequent in 2010.

46. Jason Witten, TE, Dallas
47. Michael Turner, RB, Atlanta
48. Greg Jennings, WR, Green Bay
49. Kyle Williams, DT, Buffalo

50. Santonio Holmes, WR, NY Jets. Spotlight: Not the most physical or fastest, but nobody plays better at crunch time in big games.

51. Terrell Suggs, DE, Baltimore

52. Dallas Clark, TE, Indianapolis. Spotlight: How great is Clark? The QB rating of Manning fell almost 20 points without him last year.

53. Carl Nicks, G, New Orleans
54. Jamaal Charles, RB, Kansas City
55. BJ Raji, DT, Green Bay
56. Richard Seymour, DT, Oakland

57. Vernon Davis, TE, San Francisco. Spotlight: Has matured into a reliable all-around weapon after years of struggling to “get it”.

58. Josh Cribbs, WR/ST, Cleveland
59. Frank Gore, RB, San Francisco

60. Dwight Freeney, DE, Indianapolis. Spotlight: Still gets to the QB as well as just about anyone, but is not as dominant as he once was.

61. Arian Foster, RB, Houston
62. Matt Ryan, QB, Atlanta
63. Ryan Kalil, C, Carolina
64. Jerod Mayo, LB, New England
65. Charles Johnson, DE, Carolina
66. Ryan Clady, T, Denver

67. Antoine Winfield, CB, Minnesota. Spotlight: Arguably the best run support corner of his generation, and no slouch in coverage either.

68. Andrew Whitworth, T, Cincinnati
69. Jay Ratliff, NT, Dallas

70. Mario Williams, DE/OLB, Houston. Spotlight: the move to OLB is either going to vault him up this list or push him way off.

71. Devin McCourty, CB, New England
72. Vincent Jackson, WR, San Diego

73. London Fletcher, LB, Washington. Spotlight: Still getting it done thanks to amazing instincts and relentless hustle.

74. Dwayne Bowe, WR, Kansas City
75. Terrell Thomas, CB, NY Giants
76. Maurkice Pouncey, C, Pittsburgh

77. Josh Freeman, QB, Tampa Bay. Spotlight: Could be 70 spots higher on this list in a couple of years if he continues to progress.

78. DBrickashaw Ferguson, T, NY Jets
79. Hakeem Nicks, WR, NY Giants
80. Brian Orakpo, OLB, Washington

81. Logan Mankins, G, New England. Spotlight: Finally got his mega contract, must continue to earn it.

82. Osi Umenyiora, DE, NY Giants
83. Ray Rice, RB, Baltimore
84. Cameron Wake, OLB, Miami
85. Donte Whitner, S, San Francisco
86. Lawrence Timmons, LB, Pittsburgh

87. Jordan Gross, T, Carolina. Spotlight: The best tackle you never hear about, does his best work in space.

88. Brian Urlacher, LB, Chicago
89. Reggie Wayne, WR, Indianapolis
90. Jon Beason, LB, Carolina
91. Alex Mack, C, Cleveland
92. Percy Harvin, WR/KR, Minnesota
93. Elvis Dumervil, DE, Denver

94. Joe Flacco, QB, Baltimore. Spotlight: Has the best rifle arm in the league, but must play better when the games really mean something.

95. Aubrayo Franklin, DT, New Orleans
96. O.J. Atogwe, S, Washington
97. Curtis Lofton, LB, Atlanta
98. John Abraham, DE, Atlanta

99. Johnathan Joseph, CB, Houston. Spotlight: Golden opportunity to prove himself with the Texans.

100. Eric Berry, S, Kansas City
101. Eric Winston, T, Houston
102. Paul Posluszny, LB, Jacksonville

103. Josh Sitton, G, Green Bay. Spotlight: Really improved with consistency in 2010 and should continue to build on that.

swoosh

Reaction score
Just looking at the Falcons players:

- Roddy as the #3 WR is fair, but 28 seems a little bit low. He should definitely be ahead of players like Hali.
- No complaints on Turner and Ryan.
- Surprised to see Lofton make the list. Not that I necessarily disagree, he just never gets any attention.
- John Abraham is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too low.

As I was scanning the rest of the list, it looked really, really bad.

kam.

Mr. Blackmon
Reaction score
Just looking at the Falcons players:

- Roddy as the #3 WR is fair, but 28 seems a little bit low. He should definitely be ahead of players like Hali.
- No complaints on Turner and Ryan.
- Surprised to see Lofton make the list. Not that I necessarily disagree, he just never gets any attention.
- John Abraham is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too low.

As I was scanning the rest of the list, it looked really, really bad.
I'd much rather have Hali over White..

Any Abraham is basically around near where he should be.

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Fitz and Calvin should not be ahead of Andre Johnson.

Jake Long is too low.

And the guy said that Shane Lechler is the best punter in NFL history, and has him in the top 40 on this list... just about everything is wrong with that.

swoosh

Reaction score
I'd much rather have Hali over White..

Any Abraham is basically around near where he should be.
Well that isn't that surprising. Pass rushers are valued more than receivers. However, White is the superior player IMO (and most people's opinions). Hali had a nice year in 2010, but I don't think he'll repeat those numbers. White has been doubled for 3+ seasons, being the only receiving threat in a run first offense. He's averaged close to 90 catches, 1,200 yards, and 10 touchdowns.

As far as your Abraham comment, I don't know how you can justify him being that low. One of the most consistent pass rushers since entering the NFL and coming off a 13 sack season...he's still got it. Guys like Franklin, Whitner, etc. ahead of him is quite funny.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Cribbs was pretty bad last season, don't know why he is in the top 100, and Hillis should be in the top 100.

kam.

Mr. Blackmon
Reaction score
Well that isn't that surprising. Pass rushers are valued more than receivers. However, White is the superior player IMO (and most people's opinions). Hali had a nice year in 2010, but I don't think he'll repeat those numbers. White has been doubled for 3+ seasons, being the only receiving threat in a run first offense. He's averaged close to 90 catches, 1,200 yards, and 10 touchdowns.

As far as your Abraham comment, I don't know how you can justify him being that low. One of the most consistent pass rushers since entering the NFL and coming off a 13 sack season...he's still got it. Guys like Franklin, Whitner, etc. ahead of him is quite funny.
Abraham is only a passrusher, can't play the run well.

Hali is the superior player by far, Chiefs ran a 4-3 his first couple of years.. since they put him in a 3-4.. he's been breaking out.

VC15

Reaction score
Terrell Thomas > Hakeem Nicks?

What?

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
New England Patriots

1. Tom Brady (#1 QB)
24. Vince Wilfork (#2 DT)
64. Jerod Mayo (#7 LB, #2 MLB)
71. Devin McCourty (#6 CB)
81. Logan Mankins (#3 OG)

swoosh

Reaction score
Abraham is only a passrusher, can't play the run well.

Hali is the superior player by far, Chiefs ran a 4-3 his first couple of years.. since they put him in a 3-4.. he's been breaking out.
Nonetheless, he should be higher than he is.

Hali is the superior player BY FAR? lawl

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
Four players for the Jets IIRC. I think AP should be moved up a few spots and I think that Jon Beason is ridiculously underrated.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Nonetheless, he should be higher than he is.

Hali is the superior player BY FAR? lawl
I'd argue a one dimensional player being in the top 100 is a little overkill.

Not saying Abe is a bad player, but there are better all around DE's in the game that don't have the sack numbers he does, but are a force against the run.

swoosh

Reaction score
I'd argue a one dimensional player being in the top 100 is a little overkill.

Not saying Abe is a bad player, but there are better all around DE's in the game that don't have the sack numbers he does, but are a force against the run.
Then I take it you believe Freeney shouldn't in the top 100, let alone top 60?

mersko

Reaction score
I'm a Giants's fan and i think that Terell Thomas deserve his place. He's not a great CB.

bestkeptsecret13

Chicago's Finest
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Briggs being ahead of Urlacher is funny.

Briggs being 50+ spots ahead of Urlacher is a fucking joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%