Tigers Sign Valverde, Interested In Damon

Status
Not open for further replies.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Detroit Free-Press - The Tigers have signed free-agent right-hander Jose Valverde to a two-year contract with an option for a third year.

Valverde, 31, led the NL in saves in 2007 with Arizona and ’08 with Houston. He had 25 saves last season for Houston, which had offered him a one-year contract to return this season.
January 14, SI.com: Tigers could be in play for Damon, who hits .363, slugs .550 and has a .961 OPS at pitcher-friendly Comerica Park.
The "Damon" Heyman referenced is, of course, Johnny Damon, whose tenure with the Yankees came to an end thanks to, wait for it, the arrival of Curtis Granderson.

Damon, 36, could play left field for the Tigers, shifting Carlos Guillen to designated hitter. He also is a left-handed bat in a lineup void of lefties.

He hit .282 with 24 home runs and 12 stolen bases for the Yankees last season.
I like the Valverde sign, dude was nastyyyyyyyy in '07. And I would love the Damon sign if Dumbrowski makes it happen.

.infamous

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Yeah finally a solid closer. Rodney did great but Val will do great. Also I hope we get damon so bad. Will help us greatly since we have really no one in the outfield at this moment because maggs is not gonna be great this season. As you can tell im an avid tigers fan.

jarrod2323

The Godfather
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
good luck with him.. he had injury problems last year - that's why the Stros only offered him a 1-year.
Good RP if healthy

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Valverde is definitely an underrated reliever when healthy. This is a really lucky situation the Tigers ended up in with Valverde. Desperate for a formidable arm to fill the vacant closer's role and no market had developed for Valverde. Last off-season, Valverde would been paid a lot more to be a set-up guy, just look at what Putz pulled in.

Damon to Detroit is a ludicrous thought. Detroit is in no position to pay another mid-over 30's player a high salary and definitely not for Damon's asking price. Damon's price will drop but it won't be to come to terms with New York. Unless Atlanta decides they want to make a run on something along the lines of $8-$9M over 2 years, your looking at a 1-year deal in teh $6-$7M range to go back to New York.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Valverde is definitely an underrated reliever when healthy. This is a really lucky situation the Tigers ended up in with Valverde. Desperate for a formidable arm to fill the vacant closer's role and no market had developed for Valverde. Last off-season, Valverde would been paid a lot more to be a set-up guy, just look at what Putz pulled in.

Damon to Detroit is a ludicrous thought. Detroit is in no position to pay another mid-over 30's player a high salary and definitely not for Damon's asking price. Damon's price will drop but it won't be to come to terms with New York. Unless Atlanta decides they want to make a run on something along the lines of $8-$9M over 2 years, your looking at a 1-year deal in teh $6-$7M range to go back to New York.
Damon is old and we shouldn't sign another old man, but the dude hits so well in Comerica Park. I'd take the risk, we really have no lefty hitters at all, and he could lead off for us. It would definitely be worth signing him.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Damon is old and we shouldn't sign another old man, but the dude hits so well in Comerica Park. I'd take the risk, we really have no lefty hitters at all, and he could lead off for us. It would definitely be worth signing him.
Damon is old but he hasn't slowed down a whole lot. Once he kicked that 'injury bug', he's put up numbers in pinstripes, that are very similar to what he was producing back in Boston. Damon is an excellent defensive outfielder, can still run, still lead-off, and is still one of the most clutch players in baseball.

Big Bid'Ness

4 Life
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Tigers Aren't Interested In Damon

MLB.com - Tigers president Dave Dombrowski says that the team has not expressed interest in free-agent outfielder Johnny Damon.

There had been reports that Detroit was looking at Damon, who hasn't been the hot commodity that he and agent Scott Boras expected.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
No surprise. Dumbrowski never does anything that would actually make sense.

jarrod2323

The Godfather
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
the Valverde pick cost the Tigers their first round pick (16th overall) also - did not know that

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
the Valverde pick cost the Tigers their first round pick (16th overall) also - did not know that
Yep that's certainly a downside.
But according to Dumbrowski we have plenty of pitchers who are MLB ready, so I guess he's trying to say we didn't need the pick that much.

But if that was the case why don't we see any of those pitchers.
I hate Dave lol.

Ramiel

Reaction score
Damon could of been a great pick up for the Tigers. Even if he played for the Yankees, I still liked his playing style.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%