The Melo Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Masai Ujiri acknowledged that he is "listening aggressively" to trade offers for Carmelo Anthony.

"Carmelo is still with us, and we're doing our due diligence every day," Ujiri said.

Woody Paige of the Denver Post believes that Ujiri has accepted that Anthony will not agree to Denver's offer for a contract extension and will inevitably be traded before the February deadline.

Paige cites "knowledgeable league sources" in claiming that Anthony "hasn't necessarily ruled out [signing an extension with] the Nets."

Via Denver Post

DJT

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Eh...I think its to the Knicks or bust. I really don't think Melo wants to be on the Nets.

S

Swish

It's honestly getting annoying. he should really wait for off-season and sign with NYC..

$tunna

teejus
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Why is it taking so long to deal Carmelo?

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
People have said that they're holding off on dealing him to the Nets so the Nets can lose more games, thus making their pick closer to the 1st pick. They think they'd win too many games by dealing Melo now to make that pick really useful. That's pure speculation though.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
People have said that they're holding off on dealing him to the Nets so the Nets can lose more games, thus making their pick closer to the 1st pick. They think they'd win too many games by dealing Melo now to make that pick really useful. That's pure speculation though.
they're not trading Melo because Melo doesn't want to play for the Nets, won't accept the extension if he goes there, and because they can't lock him up long-term the Nets aren't going to ship off a huge package just to have Melo for half the season.

Paige says one thing about Melo and the Nets, and yet you'll probably look through twitter and find other columnists and beat writers who basically say reliable nba sources tell them the Nets are basically out of it, they just don't want to accept that reality.

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
they're not trading Melo because Melo doesn't want to play for the Nets, won't accept the extension if he goes there, and because they can't lock him up long-term the Nets aren't going to ship off a huge package just to have Melo for half the season.

Paige says one thing about Melo and the Nets, and yet you'll probably look through twitter and find other columnists and beat writers who basically say reliable nba sources tell them the Nets are basically out of it, they just don't want to accept that reality.
You're a Knicks fan, you obviously don't want to believe that he would sign an extension elsewhere and you're going to treat the sources word as fact.

DJT

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I think its more the fact that Melo wants to be able to win a championship, thats not gonna happen in New Jersey, sure you could also make the argument that it won't happen in NY, but its better chances than New Jersey.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
You're a Knicks fan, you obviously don't want to believe that he would sign an extension elsewhere and you're going to treat the sources word as fact.
I will never treat a sources word as fact, especially ever since Chris Broussard came on ESPN every hour this summer saying "sources indicate LeBron James will go to... or that sources indicate yada yada is the favorite to get LeBron James".

I hear what all the different people say, and I make my own judgement off it. My judgement is he will sign an extension only if its the Knicks. because if he truly wants to play there and isnt traded to the Knicks, he'll just sign a max contract with them in the offseason. Thats my opinion, my own judgement based on both sides of the argument I have heard.

VC15

Reaction score
I will never treat a sources word as fact, especially ever since Chris Broussard came on ESPN every hour this summer saying "sources indicate LeBron James will go to... or that sources indicate yada yada is the favorite to get LeBron James".

I hear what all the different people say, and I make my own judgement off it. My judgement is he will sign an extension only if its the Knicks. because if he truly wants to play there and isnt traded to the Knicks, he'll just sign a max contract with them in the offseason. Thats my opinion, my own judgement based on both sides of the argument I have heard.
http://www.netsdaily.com/2010/12/19/1886138/melo-im-going-to-sign-extension

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score

Chris Broussard's source is LeBron's agent Maverick Carter, they tell him stuff so he gets it out to everyone around the world, thus causing more press for LeBron, and to get a point across.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
http://www.netsdaily.com/2010/12/19/1886138/melo-im-going-to-sign-extension
that comment by him is contradicted like, 2 lines later.

He's not going to say that he wouldn't sign an extension because he doesn't want to get in hot water.

Even if he words it slightly wrong, he can get fined. Just by wording it poorly, making it look like he is publicly saying he wants a trade, he can get in hot water.

The point i'm making is that, he may be 50/50 on signing an extension with the Nets. if that were the case, the Nets would not make the trade. They would not make the trade unless they were 100% sure he would sign, and have absolutely no doubt. Thats just my opinion. thats how i view the situation.

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
that comment by him is contradicted like, 2 lines later.

He's not going to say that he wouldn't sign an extension because he doesn't want to get in hot water.

Even if he words it slightly wrong, he can get fined. Just by wording it poorly, making it look like he is publicly saying he wants a trade, he can get in hot water.

The point i'm making is that, he may be 50/50 on signing an extension with the Nets. if that were the case, the Nets would not make the trade. They would not make the trade unless they were 100% sure he would sign, and have absolutely no doubt. Thats just my opinion. thats how i view the situation.
The Nets would obviously be given a window to negotiate with Melo, similar to the Halladay deal and the A-Gon deal in the MLB this season. If they can't work out an extension, the deal is off, or like the A-Gon deal, if they feel they're close enough, they'll accept and work it out later.

VC15

Reaction score
Melo wants that extension. That is clearly his top priority.

We're basically the only team that Denver can deal with.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
Melo wants that extension. That is clearly his top priority.

We're basically the only team that Denver can deal with.
if the money is his top priority he would have signed the extension with Denver already. He wants to go to a winner... It's common sense.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
The Nets would obviously be given a window to negotiate with Melo, similar to the Halladay deal and the A-Gon deal in the MLB this season. If they can't work out an extension, the deal is off, or like the A-Gon deal, if they feel they're close enough, they'll accept and work it out later.
you don't give up a huge package like that because you "feel you're close".

VC15

Reaction score
if the money is his top priority he would have signed the extension with Denver already. He wants to go to a winner... It's common sense.
LaLa wants to get out of Denver and go to the NJ/NY area to revitalize her career. She is believed to have a relevant say in the matter.

We can work out two things:

1. Melo wants the extension
2. He wants out of Denver

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
well, either way, good luck with ur prediction.

I know your last sports prediction seemed to bite you in the ass yesterday so I feel good about my chances.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
Gonzo will be extended. It's parameters that we're essentially agreed on. It just wont be officially signed and agreed until at least Opening Day so his new salary doesn't add onto their 2011 salary.

Similar situation, but very different.

MLB Teams also have the luxury of having a minor league system. Yeah, NBA has D-League... but, i mean, seriously...

that allows teams like the Red Sox to give up significant amount of potential to acquire a very talented player, to add to an already talented roster, to get to the playoffs. It's different from Melo and the Nets because... will giving up that large package of young players and draft picks get them to the playoffs this season?

It's a much bigger risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%