Tackle Twill Stitched Logos/Numbers

cyclone2426

Reaction score
For a stretch there I made a bunch of these. Its basically replicating logos or numbers/names in tackle twill being stitched onto a jersey, what I call "digital stitching".

sarge

Livin' Young, Wild and Free
Reaction score
u gotta teach me how to do this lol. sick work cy, love it!

cyclone2426

Reaction score
This one was one of my earlier ones, so not as good as my Kolb in terms of techniques and settings.

playmaker7

The GOAT
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
This is some quality work man. Great job.

fletch

Reaction score
i saw a tut on one of these before, good job mayne.

Oiler35

Reaction score
All credit goes to sunster13, who is the creator of the now dead, Sports GFX.

In this tutorial, we're going to crest a logo on a jersey.

It will look something like this:

Let's start.

1. Download this jersey texture, and these patterns. For the patterns, unzip them into your Presets>Patterns folder, and load them from inside Photoshop.

Jersey Texture
or here
Cresting Patterns
Logo

Credit to o98 designs for the jersey texture.

2. Open the jersey texture.

3. Image>Adjustments>Desaturate

4. Image> Adjustments> Invert

5. Then, find a nice and big logo, and paste it in the center of the canvas.

6. Ctr Shift all the unfilled areas in the logo that are usually white.

7. Make a new layer, and fill it with the pattern you downloaded. Make sure you still had the selection active. This one is called texture2.png. We'll call it t2 for the rest of the tutorial. Set the opacity of that new layer to 42%.

8. Now with the same selection, make a new layer, and fill it with another pattern, this one is called sampletext5vq.jpg. We'll call it st5 for the rest of the tutorial. Change the opacity to 43%.

9. Then make a new group, and call it yellow. Make a new layer, and make sure you select ALL of the yellow on the original logo layer (you will need shft+ctr). Fill it with yellow on this new layer. After you filled it, add noise to it, around 6 should be fine (. Then, get the dodge tool, use a 50 soft brush (depends how big you logo is), on highlights, and 40% exposure. Lighten parts of the yellow. Don't deselect.

10. Still in the same group, make a new layer, with the all the yellow still selected, fill it with t2. Put the opacity to 30%

11. On a new layer, do the same thing, but fill it with st5. Change the opacity to 40%.

12. Then fill with scanlines, and set the opacity to 17%. This is what you should have at this point:

13. Now, add the drop shadow to the all yellow layer:

This is what it should look like after the yellow is done:

14. Now, make a new group, called "black", and do exactly the same thing as you did to the yellow, but this time, make sure you put scanlines going the opposite way than the last, and set the layer opacity to 70 instead of 15. When it's done, you can go back to the all black layer, and colour doge it some more. You will probably need to raise the strength.

You should have this now:

16. Now, make a new layer (not in any group), and grab the pen or ellipse tool, and make sure it's on "shape layers". Make a big circle around the logo.

17. Take the text tool, hover over the path, and you should see a line go through the typing cursor. Use Arial, font 2, and colour #feefbc, and just keep pressing "v" until you get all the way around the path.

That's pretty much it. Here's the final result:

Not too bad eh?

When you do different logo's, make sure you play around with the opacity, noise, etc.

* Tutorial by sunster13, Credit to L24 for teaching me.

ATTN GUESTS: If you like this tutorial, please register on our forums.

My good-tutorials username is sunster13.

cyclone2426

Reaction score
That tut aint bad, but the lack of stitching on all the inner parts kinda kills it for me personally, they got it stitched on the outside, but not inside, so it looks like the pieces are just laid on top of each other but never stitched, so it looks unfinished to me.

cyclone2426

Reaction score
Speaking of hockey though, I have done one of those too....

.infamous

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
They are mostly used for avatars rockstar.

cyclone2426

Reaction score
They are mostly used for avatars rockstar.
And wallpapers. But its kinda like vectors, they're is no true point to them, but they are fun to make, and the finish product can look pretty awesome in the end. But in this particular situation, I just think they're awesome, I mean its cool to make something that looks pretty real, in Photoshop.

C

craigho555

Awesome job on these. I've tried my hand at them in the past too, but the "realism" of yours is much better.

For the Giroux jersey and any hockey uniform you should use the jersey texture from the tutorial. Hockey jerseys don't have the big holes, like football jerseys. The nameplate and the numbers look perfect though.

Blake

I'm goin' lamb bruh.
Reaction score
Red or orange jersey.

Thanks.

cyclone2426

Reaction score
Awesome job on these. I've tried my hand at them in the past too, but the "realism" of yours is much better.

For the Giroux jersey and any hockey uniform you should use the jersey texture from the tutorial. Hockey jerseys don't have the big holes, like football jerseys. The nameplate and the numbers look perfect though.
Im using a different method than that tut, plus a different sized temp, so cant really use it, but I get what you mean.

TTN2810

Reaction score
I'd love a Chris Johnson one, I definitely use it as my avy. Preferably dark blue jersey.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%