Sources: Kelly to coach Notre Dame

.GR

#BlackFalcon
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Brian Kelly, who has coached Cincinnati's football team to a 12-0 record this season and a berth in the Sugar Bowl, will be the new coach at Notre Dame, two sources have told ESPN's Chris Mortensen.

Brian Kelly2
Jared Wickerham/Getty ImagesBrian Kelly, with Cincinnati QB Tony Pike after the team's 45-44 victory over Pitt last weekend, will replace Charlie Weis as Notre Dame coach.

Neither Notre Dame nor Cincinnati has confirmed that Kelly has accepted an offer to coach the Fighting Irish, and Kelly could not be reached for comment, but the sources tell Mortensen that Kelly is Notre Dame's choice to replace the fired Charlie Weis.

The 47-year-old Kelly is 34-6 in three seasons at Cincinnati, leading the Bearcats to back-to-back Big East titles and two straight Bowl Championship Series berths. The Bearcats set a school record last season for victories with an 11-3 record, then topped that with a 12-0 mark this season.

Cincinnati is holding its football banquet later tonight, and in a change of plans Thursday afternoon, barred the media from the event. One source told Mortensen that Kelly will announce at the banquet that he has taken the Notre Dame job. Earlier this week, Kelly had contact with representative of Notre Dame about its opening.

Neither source could confirm whether Kelly would coach Cincinnati (No. 3 BCS, No. 4 AP) against fifth-ranked Florida in the Allstate Sugar Bowl on New Year's Day. The Bearcats have won 18 straight regular-season games.

The Chicago Tribune reported this week that Kelly would not coach the Bearcats in the Sugar Bowl if hired by Notre Dame, and that associate head coach/defensive backs coach Kerry Coombs would be his likely replacement.

Last week Kelly and Notre Dame officials had an informational meeting, which was facilitated by Parker Executive Search, the Atlanta firm that Notre Dame used to gauge potential candidates' interest, according to the Tribune's Web site.

Kelly is one of seven finalists for the Eddie Robinson Coach of the Year Award. The award is voted on by the Football Writers Association of America and will be announced at a reception on Jan. 5 in Newport Beach, Calif.

TTN2810

Reaction score
I like how these "sources" aren't named. I'll believe it when it's official. I know many of the Cincy players said he told them he loved Cincy and was staying.That would be a dick move to go after telling the players that. The guys who play their asses off for him every weak. I would lose alot of respect for him if he left after telling the players he was defininatly staying.

eLeMeNOhPe

Reaction score
I like how these "sources" aren't named. I'll believe it when it's official. I know many of the Cincy players said he told them he loved Cincy and was staying.That would be a dick move to go after telling the players that. The guys who play their asses off for him every weak. I would lose alot of respect for him if he left after telling the players he was defininatly staying.
of course they aren't named, then they wouldn't be very good sources. Welcome to the real world, people say those kinds of things all the time and then move on, look at Nick Saban.

This kind of stuff happens all the time. I personally believe he has taken the job, it's been pretty much everywhere since I got home.

.GR

#BlackFalcon
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Come on dude. It's Notre Dame. He's not going to pass up the opportunity if he get's the job offer.

TTN2810

Reaction score
I know I know, but I hink Cincy is willing to give him as much money as they can. For crying out loud, they are ranked 3! I wouldn't leave a team ranked 3.

And to Elemonaphe, Saban lied to the media I believe, not his players. It's totally different.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Kelly is a great coach and all, but didn't they just have a coach who was an offensive guru with terrible defense?

.GR

#BlackFalcon
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
You really can't blame him. I mean, yeah they're in a BCS Bowl, but Notre Dame is almost every coach's dream job. He can contend for National Championships every year with them.

TTN2810

Reaction score
Agreed. That's my problem. He told them he loved Cincy, and he was staying there.

.GR

#BlackFalcon
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I get what you mean, but honestly you can't blame him.

goodfella59

Reaction score
I get what you mean, but honestly you can't blame him.
yeah u cant blame him for leaving to go to ND but atleast have some respect for ur players instead of just dropping them in in a BCS bowl game...could of handled it better

.GR

#BlackFalcon
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Oh yeah, I totally agree that he should have coached in the Bowl Game. That's just throwing the players under the bus.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%