Source: Adrian Beltre To Texas

BrewCrewFan

Reaction score
From Evan Grant (Rangers beatwriter)

A web site in the Dominican Republic reports Adrian Beltre has agreed with the Rangers on a 6-year, $96 million deal. No confirmation yet.
Wonder where Michael Young would go.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
What a dumb signing, just because you lose out on Lee doesn't mean you have to blow off money like this on a position you already have.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
What a dumb signing, just because you lose out on Lee doesn't mean you have to blow off money like this on a position you already have.
This.
I'm certainly dumbfounded.

BrewCrewFan

Reaction score
Michael Young Last 3 Years:

08: .284 AVG, .339 OBP, .402 SLG, 12 HR, 82 RBI
09: .322 AVG, .374 OBP, .518 SLG, 22 HR, 68 RBI
10: .284 AVG, .330 OBP, .444 SLG, 21 HR, 91 RBI

Adrian Beltre Last 3 Years:

08: .266 AVG, .327 OBP, .457 SLG, 25 HR, 77 RBI
09: .265 AVG, .304 OBP, .379 SLG, 8 HR, 44 RBI
10: .321 AVG, .365 OBP, .533 SLG, 28 HR, 102 RBI

Young Career: .300 AVG, .347 OBP, .448 SLG, .795 OPS
Beltre Career: .275 AVG, .328 OBP, .462 SLG, .790 OPS

So they are paying Beltre 16 million per year for 6 years to put up pretty much the same numbers as Young? Really Texas?

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Damn what a weird move by the Rangers but I'm gonna assume that Young will either get traded or will play DH. Shoulda just re-signed Vlad if that's the case.

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
I had a feeling he would sign with Tezas, just didn't have a feeling it would be this kind of contract. Doesn't make much sense, Young has to be on his way out.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I don't think this is true at all...nor am I willing to listen to some Twitter cite a website from a 3rd world country.

Last I knew, Texas was not going to invest huge money in a position player with the risk that Beltre is. Through his career, Beltre has only posted 2 big seasons....both of which were (conveniently) during contract seasons.

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
Yeah, this is a BS rumor. Hasn't even been mentioned on MLBTR.

EDIT: The BS part is the money, not the him to Texas, that's been on MLBTR.

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
The Rangers and third baseman Adrian Beltre are close to an agreement on a multiyear contract, according to a source.

"They are still talking and have not completed the details, but an agreement appears imminent," the source said.

Another source said the contract would be for five years, with an option for a sixth.

Two Dominican Republic outlets reported Sunday on the negotiations, but those reports were deemed premature.

Read more: http://baseball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/23089/20110103/source_rangers_beltre_close_to_deal/#ixzz1A0QHTWu4
Looks like it is true....

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
Rangers officials admitted to Sullivan that they like Beltre, but team president Nolan Ryan says the Texas infield remains unchanged. "As of right now, Michael Young is our third baseman," Ryan said. "We haven't done anything."

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
Pretty strange.

It kinda makes sense, and here's why. All stats aside, Beltre is younger. Both are excellent fielders.

yeah thats all I got, haha.

But I also read a few minutes ago that Michael Young is willing to move to another Infield position or to DH.

Rangers infielder Michael Young said Monday night he is willing to move positions for the second time in three years and the third time since 2004 if it helps the Rangers land Adrian Beltre.

Upon returning from a 10-day trip to California, Young acknowledged that Rangers officials reached out to him in the last couple of days to ask him about moving to DH if the club landed Beltre.

"I'll do what I have to do to stay on this team," Young said. "I'm happy to be here and proud to be part of this team. I want to stay a part of it. If it means getting the bulk of my at-bats as the DH, then that's what I'll do."

The Rangers have proposed to Young the possibility of moving into a DH/super utility player role that would allow the club to get Beltre, while also allowing him to play several infield positions in addition to DH duties. Young began his major league career with three years at second, then spent five years at short and the last two at third. He is the only player in history to start at least 130 games in a season at second, third and short.

Young, who has played the third most games in Rangers history (1,508) said he is not concerned with the responsibilities that go with moving to another spot, but is more concerned about remaining part of the Rangers.

"I want to be part of a good team, that's what I'm thinking about," Young said. "I want to be here and be a highly productive player here."

The Rangers have talked to several clubs about possibly trading Young, whose contract runs through 2013, but those talks have not amounted to much. And clubs that have had interest have asked the Rangers to pick up a significant portion of Young's contract.

The Rangers, however, seem to have interest in having a versatile player capable of playing multiple positions as their prime DH. GM Jon Daniels said during a press briefing Monday that such a player is the primary reason the Rangers haven't acted more decisively about bringing back Vladimir Guerrero. Guerrero, who turns 36 in February, was limited to DH duty. His attempts to play the outfield during the World Series were costly to the Rangers on defense

Dallas News - Rangers Blog

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
now they're reportedly close to a deal again.

The Rangers are close to a six-year deal with Adrian Beltre, according to Yahoo's Tim Brown (on Twitter). Jon Heyman of SI.com reports that the Rangers are making progress and that a deal would be in the $90-100MM range (Twitter links). A source tells Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports that the deal would effectively be for five years with a vesting option for a sixth year. (Twitter link). Agent Scott Boras represents Beltre.

Beltre led the American League in doubles last year and added 28 homers, hitting .321/.365/.553 in 641 plate appearances. He made the All-Star team, won his second career Silver Slugger and played standout defense. The defensive metric UZR/150 suggests that Beltre was significantly above average with the glove (12.7 UZR/150) for the eighth time in the past nine seasons. Beltre, 31, would be 37 in the final season of a six-year deal.

Michael Young said yesterday that he'd be willing to move from third base if the Rangers sign Beltre. Young shifted from second base to shortstop when the Rangers traded Alex Rodriguez and from short to third when Elvis Andrus reached the majors, so position switches are nothing new for him. If the Rangers don't trade him, Young figures to appear in the lineup most days as a DH and utility player.

Young has no-trade protection, $48MM remaining on his contract and ten and five rights that take effect this May. The Rangers discussed a potential deal with the Rockies last month, but the team would have to overcome many obstacles to move Young.

Since the Red Sox offered Beltre arbitration, they will obtain two top draft picks next year. One will be a supplementary first rounder and the other will come from the Rangers. It will be Texas' first rounder as long as the Rangers don't sign Rafael Soriano. If they do sign the closer, the Rays would get the Rangers' top pick and the Red Sox would get their second rounder.
(MLBTR)

NV

i'm a mad man
Reaction score
So do they plan on having an excellent fielder like Beltre DH?

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
So do they plan on having an excellent fielder like Beltre DH?
No, my guess is they have Beltre at 3rd, move Michael Young to 1B, and then bring back Vlad to DH.

1. Elvis Andrus
2. Michael Young
3. Josh Hamilton
4. Vlad Guerrero
5. Adrian Beltre
6. Nelson Cruz
7. Ian Kinsler
8. Yorvit Torrealba
9. Julio Borbon/Engel Beltre

That lineup is not to be fucked with.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
Not sure where the idea of moving him to 1B is coming from. I guess it's a possibility, but i dont recall him ever playing 1B.

The team confronted him the other day and asked if he would become a utility if, but spend most of the season as their DH, and he accepted that and gave them the ok to bring in Beltre.

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
He's played 2B, SS, and 3B, I'm 100% positive he could handle 1B and it would be in their best interest to move him there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%