Sheets signs with Oakland for one year

Status
Not open for further replies.

.GR

#BlackFalcon
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The Oakland Athletics have agreed to terms with free-agent pitcher Ben Sheets on a one-year deal in the range of $8 million, baseball sources tell ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney.

Sheets missed all of 2009 recovering from a torn flexor tendon in his right elbow.

Sheets made four All-Star teams with the Milwaukee Brewers. His best season came in 2004, when he posted a 12-14 record with a 2.70 ERA and 264 strikeouts in 237 innings.

He has a career record of 86-83.
Hell yes! Loving it.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
If Sheets can return to old form, start eating up innings again...major trade bait for Oakland. This is a nice spot for him right now. Younger team, not a lot of pressure, a pretty relaxed opportunity to re-establish himself. Cashman has coveted this guy for a couple seasons now and you know he will be watching.

.GR

#BlackFalcon
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Pretty spendy though. I just read that it is actually around 10m guaranteed plus incentives.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Pretty spendy though. I just read that it is actually around 10m guaranteed plus incentives.
If Sheets is plagued by injuries or just not effective...hell yes, big hit in the payroll. I think Sheets will be okay, he will attract a ton of deadline interest, and Oakland will add even more youth for him.

A's still in heavy talks with Johnny Damon as well.

.GR

#BlackFalcon
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Every year we take risks on these vets and they hardly ever work out. I love Sheets tho. I don't want Damn really tho unless he takes a 1 yr around 5m deal.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Every year we take risks on these vets and they hardly ever work out. I love Sheets tho. I don't want Damn really tho unless he takes a 1 yr around 5m deal.
Damon still has a ton of speed, clutch, and a great outfielder. Johnny could bring a lot of production to Oakland but for the kinda of money your willing to spend on him...he might as well go back to the Bronx. For 1-year at $5M, Cashman would be more than happy to sign that deal.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Damon is not a great outfielder.. His defense really isn't that good.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Damon is not a great outfielder.. His defense really isn't that good.
Wrong. His arm strength sucks but the guy is fast, athletic, and can track a ball like nobodies business. His arm strength wasn't that big of a deal once they moved him out of CF too. This guy has made a ton of highlight and clutch grabs as a Yankee.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Wrong. His arm strength sucks but the guy is fast, athletic, and can track a ball like nobodies business. His arm strength wasn't that big of a deal once they moved him out of CF too. This guy has made a ton of highlight and clutch grabs as a Yankee.
I've seen him badly miss judge balls all the time as a Yankee.. Especially some of the bloop hits, that he will badly miss judge, dive at it, and let it go past him.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I've seen him badly miss judge balls all the time as a Yankee.. Especially some of the bloop hits, that he will badly miss judge, dive at it, and let it go past him.
Damon has carried a .987 FP throughout most of his career and no lower than .986 in his time spent with New York. Torii Hunter has won countless Gold Gloves in the .988, .989 range.

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
Damn, the Mets miss another golden opportunity by taking a chance on a guy with a ton of upside.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Damon has carried a .987 FP throughout most of his career and no lower than .986 in his time spent with New York. Torii Hunter has won countless Gold Gloves in the .988, .989 range.
Fielding percentage for an outfielder is an overrated stat.. If you miss play a ball and it bounces in front of you, or it flies over your head because you ran in for a second, you're not going to be charged with an error.

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I like the signing very much for the A's as well. Sheets will also benefit from a very pitcher friendly park..Damon not so much, at least I don't think, but would still be a good pickup.

playmaker7

The GOAT
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Not sure what I think of this. Gotta see if Sheets can pitch and stay healthy

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
If he turns out well, AE is right, he will be great trade bait around the deadline for a contending team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%