Ron Rivera to coach Panthers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dorado

LiveLoveA$AP
Reaction score
via espn

Former San Diego Chargers defensive coordinator Ron Rivera has agreed to become the Carolina Panthers' next head coach, league sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

The Panthers are now putting the "finishing touches" on their agreement with Rivera.

Rivera, a former linebacker with the Bears and a member of Chicago's Super Bowl-winning team in 1985, has been with the Chargers since midway through the 2008 season. Rivera also was the Bears' defensive coordinator from 2004 to '06.

He has plenty of experience interviewing for head-coaching jobs, with Carolina marking the ninth team to talk to him over the years.

The Panthers are looking for the fourth coach in their 16-year history after Panthers owner Jerry Richardson decided not to bring back John Fox after his ninth season ended with an NFL-worst 2-14 record.

Richardson said last week that while he was most concerned with his team's league-worst offense, it wouldn't stop the Panthers from hiring a defensive-minded coach as long as he had a strong offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach.

"We're putting a very high priority on the offense and that can be accomplished without having an offensive head coach," Richardson said.

The son of a U.S. Army officer, Rivera lived in Germany, Panama, Washington, Maryland and California growing up and has a diverse coaching background, working with both the 3-4 and 4-3 defensive schemes.

The Panthers have used the 4-3 scheme since Fox's arrival in 2002.
SMH this dude was pretty terrible this year in San Diego. I can only hope he can pick it up as HC

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I love Ron Rivera as a defensive coordinator but I'm not so sure about him being given the top job. In speaking of success as a HC...I'd guess he falls somewhere in between Del Rio & Romeo Crennell. I also don't understand why Carolina would end a 9-year run with one great defensive-minded guy...only to hire another one. I really thought the Panthers would look towards a younger, offensive coordinator in waiting candidate. They really need a strong offensive presence in that organization and they're going to need a good coach to work with those quarterbacks.

DJT

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Good for him to finally get that head coaching gig he's been wanting, but he's gonna have his hands full with this team. They need A LOT.

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
via espn

SMH this dude was pretty terrible this year in San Diego. I can only hope he can pick it up as HC
He wasn't terrible, he had one of the best defenses in the NFL this year even though they collapsed towards the end. Schedule may of played into that. (as far as top defense)

kam.

Mr. Blackmon
Reaction score
He wasn't terrible, he had one of the best defenses in the NFL this year even though they collapsed towards the end. Schedule may of played into that. (as far as top defense)
I'm sorry, but no .. that defense wasn't that great.

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
I'm sorry, but no .. that defense wasn't that great.
The numbers back it up, as I said, the schedule may have played a role in that. Read what I say before you start criticizing everything.

kam.

Mr. Blackmon
Reaction score
The numbers back it up, as I said, the schedule may have played a role in that. Read what I say before you start criticizing everything.
I ready what you said, and I still disagree. IDC what the numbers say, My eyes say something else.

Lake Louise

Reaction score
Tough gig for him to have his first HC shot at. I can see him doing well, but this team does need a lot. I've always liked him as a coach and hopefully he does well.

Whisper

Living like a Don in my own mind
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I ready what you said, and I still disagree. IDC what the numbers say, My eyes say something else.
I agree here. Rivera was pretty conservative this year. It was more of the players executing better and overachieving at times as opposed to his play-calling. I also don't see him much as a HC. Definitely more of a coordinator than a head coach ala Wade Phillips.

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
Time will tell, I think he'll be a fine head coach in the NFL, but I could be wrong. I would like to see him succeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%