Rockets Still Plan On Pursuing Dwight, Bynum, Josh Smith

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The Houston Rockets continue to plan for an offseason in which they will pursue a prominent free agent big man.

Sources say the Rockets' preference is to sign Dwight Howard, but will pursue Andrew Bynum and Josh Smith as alternatives.

The Rockets have publicly acknowledged that they need a second star to pair with James Harden.

Via Marc Stein/ESPN

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Houston is really interesting. The only players they have under contract for next season is Harden, Lin, Asik, and their rookies.

BwareDWare94

Where were you when the world stopped turning?
Reaction score
Well we better get Parsons extended, then.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
Unfortunately I think it comes down to who would actually want to play there -- I figure Smith is probably the only one on that list.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
but hes not the star they want. he is the most likely to sign imo but hes not the right fit.

.::MC::.

WeOutHearCuh
Reaction score
I'm not as educated on basketball as most, but I do think Smith would be a nice pair with Asik. He gets rebounds, can guard the perimeter and the post, has a nice mid range shot to spread the floor a bit and still has some of his athleticism and ability to get to the basket. He might even be able to Robinson develop as well, so who knows.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
but hes not the star they want. he is the most likely to sign imo but hes not the right fit.
well duh.

Very few stars would want to go there unless Harden somehow talked them in to it.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I'm not as educated on basketball as most, but I do think Smith would be a nice pair with Asik. He gets rebounds, can guard the perimeter and the post, has a nice mid range shot to spread the floor a bit and still has some of his athleticism and ability to get to the basket. He might even be able to Robinson develop as well, so who knows.
He and Harden would be the best fit probably.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
how far does that team go in the long run, though? theyll end up hitting the tax and I don't think they'll be the powerhouse team they want to be.

as a fan id like to see smoove join that team but how would he affect trob's development?

i dont truly see josh as the mentor type.

BwareDWare94

Reaction score
I don't really see TRob as the superstar type, so what development are we supposed to see?

The best thing that could happen to this team is it signs Dwight who is healthy. Asik is a solid starting center, but we have two developing 4s, one of which is an extremely versatile player (DMo) who should only get better. I don't really want Josh unless McHale's willing to start DMo at the 5, even though he's a little small.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
oh, so you dont need a mentor or good coaching to develop if youre not going to be a superstar lol

BwareDWare94

Reaction score
oh, so you dont need a mentor or good coaching to develop if youre not going to be a superstar lol
Kevin McHale is an excellent practice coach who will develop Robinson's game without an on-floor mentor, and what exactly is similar between Josh Smith and Thomas Robinson's games? Wouldn't Dwight or Bynum be better role models as far as back to the basket offense is concerned?

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Kevin McHale is an excellent practice coach who will develop Robinson's game without an on-floor mentor, and what exactly is similar between Josh Smith and Thomas Robinson's games? Wouldn't Dwight or Bynum be better role models as far as back to the basket offense is concerned?
you dont need the exact mold of a player to have them mentor. pretty much what i was implying is that from everything ever said about josh smith is that he isnt always a team player and has a bad attitude.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%