Revis, Jets Agree to Contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

yezzir

Call me Slim Roethlisberger.
Reaction score
After a seven-month stalemate often marked by acrimony, Darrelle Revis and the New York Jets reached an agreement in principle.

The team announced the agreement in principle early Monday morning, but released no contract terms.

In an attempt to end the impasse with his star cornerback, coach Rex Ryan flew to South Florida over the weekend and met with Revis, league sources confirmed.

Ryan's 11th-hour appearance may have triggered a breakthrough in the stalemate and opened "the lines of communication," according to a source.
Finally. I heard Revis ended up getting the contract he wanted, but I don't give a <Censored> I just want him on the field.

.loggie

Reaction score
Dude deserves the money he's getting. If the Jets started losing games he would've got the contract he wanted anyway so it's good that they got him signed before the season starts.

playmaker7

The GOAT
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Game of chicken comes to an end, and rightfully so

They need him back and giving him a huge contract was the only way. Well deserved I guess

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
Praise the <Censored>ing lord.

NEW YORK -- After a seven-month stalemate often marked by acrimony, the New York Jets and holdout cornerback Darrelle Revis agreed in principle Sunday night on a new contract, the team announced early Monday morning.

Revis, whose holdout lasted 35 days, is expected to fly to New Jersey Monday to sign the contract. Barring any holdups, the All-Pro will be on the field in time to have a full week of preparation for the season opener against the Baltimore Ravens, a week from Monday.

"I'm coming home baby!!! Revis Island. Let's Go," Revis tweeted shortly after midnight.

Revis will sign a four-year contract, GM Mike Tannenbaum announced. He declined to discuss the amount, but a source said it's a $46 million deal, including $32 million in various guarantees.

Under his old contract, Revis was due to make $21 million over the next three years, all of which was guaranteed until he didn't show up for training camp, voiding the guarantee. After a long holdout that resulted in $578,305 in fines, Revis secured $11 million in additional guarantees while committing an extra year to the team.

Tannenbaum wouldn't say if Revis will be responsible for paying the fines. He called it an internal issue, adding Revis and Ryan would discuss how to handle it.

"This is an intermediate step to what we hope will be an entire career of Darrelle as a Jet, for him to retire as a Jet and for him to hopefully go to the Hall of fame as a Jet," Tannenbaum said in an early-morning conference call with reporters.

Tannenbaum admitted that he explored possible trades for a cornerback over the weekend. While he did that, coach Rex Ryan and owner Woody Johnson took a spur-of-the-moment trip to South Florida on Saturday afternoon to meet with Revis, his mother and his uncle, former NFL defensive lineman Sean Gilbert. Gilbert once sat out an entire season in a contract dispute with the Washington Redskins.

The meeting was first reported by the New York Daily News.

Ryan met most of Sunday with Gilbert and Revis. By the time the meeting ended, both sides felt that progress had been made and their differences could be bridged.

At that point, negotiations heated up between the Jets and Revis' New-York based agents.

"Those guys going down there was a huge step," Tannenbaum said.

Revis has a home in South Florida, which he went to last week after spending more than a week with family in his hometown, Aliquippa, Pa. Ryan and Revis have a good relationship, and the Jets were counting on Ryan's persuasiveness to change Revis' stance.

"I really wasn't optimistic, I really wasn't," Tannenbaum said. "It was a hard set of dynamics. I'm optimistic by nature, but gosh, this was really hard. There was a lot of heavy lifting. This honestly and truly was really, really hard."

Despite the upbeat meeting in Florida, the two sides didn't have "a significant breakthrough" until around 10 p.m., according to Tannenbaum. That's when they agreed to the length of the contract and the total amount.

With Revis still in Florida, Tannenbaum negotiated by phone with the cornerbacks' agents, with Johnson available on speaker phone. Asked to describe Ryan's reaction when the deal was finalized, Tannenbaum said, "I think I had to medicate the head coach."

Revis made $15 million in his first three seasons. He wanted to become the highest-paid cornerback in the league, seeking about $16 million per season. According to family members, he was angry at the organization because he believed it reneged on a promise to make him the highest-paid corner.

Initially, the Jets offered Revis a 10-year, $120 million contract and a four-year, $40 million deal, but there was only a small amount of guaranteed money in each proposal. Revis' agents countered by asking for $162 million over 10 years, with more than $40 million guaranteed.

On Friday, several players told ESPNNewYork.com they were resigned to starting the season without Revis. One player said it was "a tragedy" that the stalemate got this far.
Source: ESPN

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
about time he gets a contract and ends this shit. but seriously, earned? yes he deserves a big contract but i cant stand how greedy these players are.

Mauersota

Reaction score
Finally some more drama is done, sucks for the rest of the league tho lol.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Watch him get hurt or something now.

Mooche

Reaction score
My thoughts on Revis have been expressed already... But it is good for the Jets he is back and suiting up.

VC15

Reaction score
Judging from the way the Jets had played in the pre-season, it was no small wonder why Ryan and Woody went crawling on their knees to Revis. I hope for all three that the deal pays off.

WhenIRap

valanciunas
Reaction score
Judging from the way the Jets had played in the pre-season, it was no small wonder why Ryan and Woody went crawling on their knees to Revis. I hope for all three that the deal pays off.
lol

Blake

I'm goin' lamb bruh.
Reaction score
Nnamdi is still better.

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
How in the world is Nnamdi better? The Raiders and Jets used their top corners in completely different ways. The Jets put Revis on the other team's number one guy EVERY play. Nnamdi plays on one side of the field and guards whoever is over there and the opposition knows that, so they deploy their top guy away from him a lot of the time. The Jets put Revis on the number one guy and the rest of the defense's roles are designed to force the QB to force it to Revis. No one else has ever been able to do what Revis was able to do last year. If anything, Revis should do worse than Aso because of what he's asked for.

Blake

I'm goin' lamb bruh.
Reaction score
Nnamdi allowed four catches last season, two to Moss, two to Marshall.

GTFO, noob.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%