Return of the Expos?

wilmyers

Reaction score
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/morosi-major-league-baseball-returns-to-montreal-032914

46,121 fans showed up to Montreal's Olympic Stadium yesterday, witnessing a Blue Jays' walk-off win over the Mets.  

That's roughly 13,000 more fans watching baseball in Montreal last night than those who showed up to watch the Rays' last home playoff game!  Matter of fact, only 3.29% of all major league games last season drew crowd as big.  The fans were said to be very, very loud and very much into the game.  So with that said...how long before MLB ends up making a return of the Expos a reality? 

MLB continues to dance around the subject but I'm a firm believer it happens as soon as Selig is out of the office.  Things weren't happening in Montreal 10-years to adequately support the Expos but things have changed, the economy has changed, and since that time, MLB has seen American MLB franchises struggled more than Montreal once did. 

It saddens me as a Rays fans but the realist in me knows its inevitable.  The Rays don't have the attendance figures and the interest to make sense of a new stadium and regardless of what side of the Bay a proposal falls, taxpayers aren't having any of it.  Some of my fellow Rays fans still refuse to admit relocation will happen within the next 5-7 years but if anything, the disaster Jefferey Loria built in Miami is only further proof the Tampa baseball coffin needs only a few more nails to shut it down.

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Oh gawd IF the rays get relocated to MTL, you best believe I'm hopping on that bandwagon.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Why compare attendance numbers with a city hosting one game? Of course it's going to draw well, they haven't had baseball in a while.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I really don't see a team returning to Montreal. 

wilmyers

Reaction score
elcheato said:
Why compare attendance numbers with a city hosting one game? Of course it's going to draw well, they haven't had baseball in a while.

A third world country could sustain the average attendance of Rays games. 

footballplaya52

Solo Dolo
Reaction score
wilmyers said:

A third world country could sustain the average attendance of Rays games. 
lmao. Should expand to Vancouver or somewhere out west, give them another pro franchise.

Rios15

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I feel like Montreal can support a team, the population is growing out there.  1.6 million... maybe have some more games out there to test it than just the one but I can see it happening... 

wilmyers

Reaction score
Plenty of markets would be trash in sustaining an MLB franchise in the long run but its all about which city can get the stadium built.  My point about the Rays moving in 5-7 years is because Tampa will not get funding for a new stadium in this lifetime.  If Montreal has the money to build..."they will come..."

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
Fuck Montreal

If you are moving the Rays, put them in Portland

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
Portland has great potential

Blazers get a lot of love, and the Oregon Ducks get the football love. OSU baseball is huge down there; a pro team could definitely be supported

Plus put it right by NIKE and that will get the team super attracted

wilmyers

Reaction score
bosoxlover12 said:
Fuck Montreal

If you are moving the Rays, put them in Portland

If anyone ends up in Portland, it's the A's

H-MYK

Reaction score
I would like to see the Expos come back, however, I can't see it happening. If not Montreal, I would like to see Vancouver get an MLB franchise.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I don't want them to come back, because then the Expos hat isn't as hipster

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
I definitely see Baseball going back to Montreal, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's the Rays that move there. 

I can see with some changes in the economy Montreal being able to support a team much better than before, especially if there's a newly built stadium. 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%