Report: Rangers preparing bid for Sabathia

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score

A source told ESPN New York that the Rangers are preparing to make a strong bid for CC Sabathia if he opts out of his contract with the Yankees this winter.​
"I hear they're going to throw a boatload of money at him,'' said the source. "But I think he'll stay with the Yankees. He's talked so much about how much he loves New York, and besides, the Yankees can't afford to lose him from that pitching staff." Sabathia's agent, Scott Boras, is surely pleased with this development. But all signs point to the big lefty remaining in pinstripes. The Yankees should be able to fend off a bid from the Rangers.​
Source: ESPN New York Oct 13 - 5:55 PM​

Link

NV

i'm a mad man
Reaction score
If the Yankees want him, they're getting them.

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
*parity (sorry, a peeve of mine)

And, no, that's not why there's no parity.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
*parity (sorry, a peeve of mine)

And, no, that's not why there's no parity.
Yeah, I was going to google it, but oh well.

And having the Yankees being able to outbid for anyone isn't why there is no parity?
The lack of a salary cap is clearly why lol.

I mean, I'm not complaining, the Tigers are one of those teams who can outbid most of the others. But I'm just stating a fact.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
mlb has parity Rip
this isnt the NBA

past 10 world series: 9 different winners

NL West has a new winner every year
NL Central has a new winner every year
AL West has gotten away from just Angels every year
AL Central is a new winner every year
AL East is now a 3 team race every year, and the Blue Jays are building
NL East is getting scary with the Phils getting old, the Braves up and coming, the Nats up and coming, the Marlins not far off from contending even next year (keep an eye on them and Jose Reyes)

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Has there been a team in the bottom 10 in payroll win the World Series other then the Marlins in the last 20 years?

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
mlb has parity Rip
this isnt the NBA

past 10 world series: 9 different winners

NL West has a new winner every year
NL Central has a new winner every year
AL West has gotten away from just Angels every year
AL Central is a new winner every year
AL East is now a 3 team race every year, and the Blue Jays are building
NL East is getting scary with the Phils getting old, the Braves up and coming, the Nats up and coming, the Marlins not far off from contending even next year (keep an eye on them and Jose Reyes)
You can have a year or so of success, but once their minor league grown players want the cash, they aren't staying with a team that can't pay them or won't be able to hold on to them.

Look at the Indians. Had they been able to keep all their talent they've had over the years, no doubt they win a title.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
i didnt think of payrolls
im just saying the playoffs are always different every year
once in the playoffs, payrolls are thrown out. win some games

but i see what you and cheato mean when you bring up the payrolls
it's definitely harder for the low payroll teams to sustain success unlike the yankees or red sox who go crazy when they miss the playoffs, but it can be done

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
i didnt think of payrolls
im just saying the playoffs are always different every year
once in the playoffs, payrolls are thrown out. win some games

but i see what you and cheato mean when you bring up the payrolls
it's definitely harder for the low payroll teams to sustain success unlike the yankees or red sox who go crazy when they miss the playoffs, but it can be done
There is a few exceptions to everything. But at the end of the day, the high payrolls teams are rarely going to have a down year.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
It's not harder to maintain success as a small market. It's nearly impossible. The Rays have a good thing going, but how long will this last?

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Honestly, the only team you have an argument against is the Yankees. They're the only team within the last 20 years to win more than twice. In that same discussion, however, you have to note that since the whole "huge spending by big markets" has happened, they've only won once.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
What does that have to do with small markets not being able to sustain success like bigger markets? That's called an unfair system.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Last time a team out of the top 15 in payroll won the World Series was 2003 with the Marlins, but before that it goes back to Reds in 1990.

If my research is correct.

Granted there wasn't 30 teams back then, but you still get the point.

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
What is the payroll of those teams at 15 every season?

The Braves had a payroll of $87M this season and they were ranked 15th. If you make that the salary cap, the Rays still can't afford that payroll. Adding a salary cap does nothing because people will still complain and bring up that the Rays can't pay as much as other people can.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I'm not quite understanding your argument.
Obviously as times have changed the salaries have gotten higher.

Obviously 15 then was a lot different than 15 now.

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
The first question was kind of irrelevant.

The second part of my post was the meat and potatoes lol

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
What does that have to do with small markets not being able to sustain success like bigger markets? That's called an unfair system.
What are you attributing to "success"? Having a big payroll?

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Are there any small market teams that you can look at and say every year that they will be competing for a playoff spot? Please don't say the Rays, not many picked them to win, and quite frankly they had no business in the playoffs this year, it's not every year the team with the best record loses 21 out of their last 27 games or whatever it was.

The point is, you have teams like the Yankees and Red Sox, who every year are expected to make the playoffs, and are good enough to do so. You'll point out teams like the Mets and Cubs who can't get any success going because they are both poorly run organizations, very unlike the Sox/Yankees, but you still need a high bank roll to go with smart management to sustain success, something small market teams can't compete with on a regular basis. They get small windows to compete in, then they have to rebuild for another few years, hit on most of their prospects and hopefully get back to contention.

To me, that's not a fair system.

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
Are there any small market teams that you can look at and say every year that they will be competing for a playoff spot? Please don't say the Rays, not many picked them to win, and quite frankly they had no business in the playoffs this year, it's not every year the team with the best record loses 21 out of their last 27 games or whatever it was.

The point is, you have teams like the Yankees and Red Sox, who every year are expected to make the playoffs, and are good enough to do so. You'll point out teams like the Mets and Cubs who can't get any success going because they are both poorly run organizations, very unlike the Sox/Yankees, but you still need a high bank roll to go with smart management to sustain success, something small market teams can't compete with on a regular basis. They get small windows to compete in, then they have to rebuild for another few years, hit on most of their prospects and hopefully get back to contention.

To me, that's not a fair system.
Unless you contract the teams that can't compete salary-wise or make the salary cap like $40M, there just isn't way that is going to fix it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%