Report: Leinart could be released at final cuts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooche

Reaction score
According to Michael Lombardi of NFL Network, there is a real chance Cardinals quarterback Matt Leinart will be released at final cuts.

Wow.. If this guy is seriously showing NOTHING at all, this just leaves me completely shocked. This guy had so much potential with these weapons, in this team. Andersen and Hall are gonna be the QB's if this holds true, ha. Huge shock from Warner and Leinart as it looked.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Man this kid just never got it right lol.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Michael Lombardi is one of the worst NFL reporters in the business, I wouldn't put much stock into anything he says.

Mooche

Reaction score
Michael Lombardi is one of the worst NFL reporters in the business, I wouldn't put much stock into anything he says.
Very true. Great post. Regardless, with all the talk, this could damn well happen..

Reaction score
Leinart is too <Censored>ing good he has a rocket arm, talented great leader, and he just owned face at USC hes so underrated.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
Leinart is too <Censored>ing good he has a rocket arm, talented great leader, and he just owned face at USC hes so underrated.
And Troy Smith won the Heisman.

College doesn't mean that much in terms of NFL success.

However I do agree they aren't giving this kid a chance. He never really had a chance to work and learn from experience in the NFL and if they cut him, they're making a mistake.

I mean seriously, Derek Anderson sucks.

Yankees2772

RIP Derek Boogaard
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Wow.. If this guy is seriously showing NOTHING at all, this just leaves me completely shocked. This guy had so much potential with these weapons, in this team. Andersen and Hall are gonna be the QB's if this holds true, ha. Huge shock from Warner and Leinart as it looked.
Don't forget Skelton. If you had to ask me, Skelton is the starter at one point this season for them...

Also, Leinart 'rocket of an arm'? He was never known to have a big arm, if anything that's Derek Anderson. Everybody seems to be boosting up Leinart, and playing down Anderson's skill. Leinart won a heisman? Ok, how about something more recent, and more relevant... Derek Anderson was in a pro bowl. With much less talent than he has on this team now.

But if you had to ask me, here's what I say happens. Leinart stays on the team, Anderson starts up to the bye, Skelton takes over.

.infamous

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Lol wow if this is true he is a striaght up bust imo.

DJT

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I seriously doubt they will cut him. Unless they think Max Hall is ready to step up and play. But I think too many people are high on Lienart, and they could probably trade him for something rather than getting nothing for him.

Reaction score
And Troy Smith won the Heisman.

College doesn't mean that much in terms of NFL success.

However I do agree they aren't giving this kid a chance. He never really had a chance to work and learn from experience in the NFL and if they cut him, they're making a mistake.

I mean seriously, Derek Anderson sucks.
Sarcasm bro. This guy is a <Censored> he can't lead a football team he has a weak arm and hes just not a NFL quarterback, Arizona needs to go to a grocery store and find Kurt Warner II.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
How do you know whether or not he can lead the team? What warrants him being so bad? He's been sitting on the bench for years watching Kurt Warner, a future HOF QB. Leinart hasn't had 1 regular season game since Warner's retirement and already people are judging him and saying he can't lead this team.

Give the kid a couple starts before you label him like that. Its ignorant to do otherwise.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
He should start the season. Like you said he hasn't had a chance since the Warner retirement, which he deserves. And you already know what you get with Derek Anderson, big arm, little accuracy, inconsistent, he'll always be there to use.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
Exactly. And its not like his 06 season was horrendous. 2,547 yards in 12 games. 11 TDs and 12 INTs. 56.8% completion. Nothing great but not terrible either. We've all seen rookies put up worse numbers and get the starting job the next two years and they start to turn it around.

2 games in Preseason and he's got a 77% Completion of passes, no TDs but no INTs either. The lack of yards hasn't earned him a starting spot but his overall numbers shouldn't cost him a spot on the roster.

And Leinart said it perfectly the other day -- "I've been efficient. I've been accurate. I haven't turned the ball over. I don't know how we judge performance when you take 13 pass attempts to the other guy's 40."

I take the report with no more than a grain of sand.

yezzir

Call me Slim Roethlisberger.
Reaction score
Are you serious? This dude had all the talent in the world, he at least deserves a chance to play some regular season games first. Cardinals don't know what they're doing if this dude can't make a 55 man roster. But I agree with Cheato, Lombardi never knows what he's talking about. When Adam Shefter went to ESPN, NFL Network went down the <Censored> hole for team updates.

Mooche

Reaction score
Don't forget Skelton. If you had to ask me, Skelton is the starter at one point this season for them...

Also, Leinart 'rocket of an arm'? He was never known to have a big arm, if anything that's Derek Anderson. Everybody seems to be boosting up Leinart, and playing down Anderson's skill. Leinart won a heisman? Ok, how about something more recent, and more relevant... Derek Anderson was in a pro bowl. With much less talent than he has on this team now.

But if you had to ask me, here's what I say happens. Leinart stays on the team, Anderson starts up to the bye, Skelton takes over.
John Skelton is very talented. He is a project though. People want to label him with the Flacco type of player, but I am not ready to do that yet. Arizona is going to need to wait a few years on him, to learn the system and just grow into the NFL game.

Yankees2772

RIP Derek Boogaard
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I'd be willing to bet that Skelton makes a start this year.

Mooche

Reaction score
Meh. It all depends on how that team does down the stretch, Leinart and Anderson will be the main guys of that offense. Again, we can't forget Max Hall.. the guy is a talented gun-slinger, who can let that ball go and get it to the many targets the Cardinals have. I'm not betting he will see the field much, but he is a nice project to have at QB, too.

Mooche

Reaction score
UPDATE -

Citing "several sources," FOX Sports' Jay Glazer reports that the Cardinals are actively trying to trade Matt Leinart.
The desired compensation is unclear, but Arizona has reportedly contacted multiple teams. They probably shouldn't hold out for more than a sixth-round pick with Leinart's trade stock at an all-time low. The 27-year-old's contract calls for a $2.5 million base salary in 2010, which will be prohibitive for most teams. Leinart will take time to learn another offense, and has not been open to settling for a backup job. Ultimately, he'll probably be released. Aug. 31 - 7:17 pm et
Source: Jay Glazer on Twitter

Woah.. Who would take the bait on this kid? It is going to be interesting to see what team hasn't given up on him.

.loggie

Reaction score
I would trust him as a back-up and I honestly think any team that could get him for a sixth-rounder would be a steal. That being said I don't think he's the answer for Arizona at QB but I could see Anderson excelling considering he did have a pro-bowl year and he'll have Fitzgerald and Breaston to throw to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%