Report: Cleveland eyeing Rudy Gay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooche

Reaction score
The Cavaliers are said to be exploring ways to get their hands on Rudy Gay from Memphis this summer.
The Grizzlies are reportedly not interested in moving Gay, but with the Cavs owning the No. 1 and 4 picks in Thursday's draft, anything is possible at this point. Despite how well the Grizzlies played without Gay in the playoffs, there's little doubt he's their best player, so we'd be surprised to see him moved.
Source: Probasketballtalk.com
Jun 19, 7:12 PM
It's going to be interesting to see if this is just some talk, or if the Cavs will pursue this.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Didn't they already try to move the fourth pick for him?

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
TBH, I'd move the #1 pick for him. Rudy is still just 24, is a 20 PPG scorer, is a great defender, and is a good rebounder. I'd rather have Rudy Gay and whoever they could draft at #4 than Kyrie and Jonas/Enes

Mooche

Reaction score
I have to say that probably makes sense to me. I mean, I don't think Kyrie is going to be as good as Rudy personally, plus Rudy has some serious potential to grow and mature yet.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I would not deal Gay for #1.. Not a chance, but #4 definitely.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
TBH, I'd move the #1 pick for him. Rudy is still just 24, is a 20 PPG scorer, is a great defender, and is a good rebounder. I'd rather have Rudy Gay and whoever they could draft at #4 than Kyrie and Jonas/Enes
Gay + Jonas<Kyrie + Jonas< Kyrie + Gay

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
Gay is going to be better than anyone in this draft class

The mistake is taking Jonas at 4

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I don't foresee the Cavs using the #1 pick to get Gay.

VC15

Reaction score
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/05/17/memphis-grizzlies-owner-%E2%80%9Cwere-not-trading-rudy-gay%E2%80%9D/

Besides, Kyrie is probably the only sure thing in this draft.

lakerfan

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Rudy Gay is on a 5yr/84 million dollar contract, which was criticized the moment the Grizzlies signed him and looks even worse now considering their playoff run without him. I think the Cavs are better off developing young inexpensive players, waiting to dump large contracts (ala Baron Davis) and building the team from the bottom up instead of committing to such a large investment, but I also see the logic behind an Irving/Gay backcourt if they're able to acquire him with the #4.

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
I still don't understand why it's considered a bad deal. He's worth every penny of that deal

lakerfan

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Rudy Gay is a B+ player with an A+ contract. He's the most talented player on his team, but he's definitely not an elite player, super star, or perennial all star; yet, he gets paid Lebron James money. How do you figure that? I think players that earn max contracts have to fit that criteria, and I'm hard pressed to believe Gay will during the course of his contract. And on top of that- call it a fluke if you want- his team played better without him than with him during their playoff run. I think all of these reasons hint at why some would argue it's a questionable deal.

$tunna

teejus
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Rudy would be a good fit in cleveland imo

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Rudy Gay is barely worth that contract on a good day.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
ha. i think rudy is worth that contract. sure its a bit steep but hes worth it. if they can get him for the tpe and the 4th do it. the 1st is a little iffy. but hed make that team better forsure.

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
Rudy Gay is a B+ player with an A+ contract. He's the most talented player on his team, but he's definitely not an elite player, super star, or perennial all star; yet, he gets paid Lebron James money. How do you figure that? I think players that earn max contracts have to fit that criteria, and I'm hard pressed to believe Gay will during the course of his contract. And on top of that- call it a fluke if you want- his team played better without him than with him during their playoff run. I think all of these reasons hint at why some would argue it's a questionable deal.
That's because there is a max contract. LeBron would get way more than that without it and Rudy is still good enough for one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%