Pointless mock of boredom

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
This mock is absolutely pointless, but out of sheer boredom, I'm going to do it anyway. I'm going to throw all 32 teams into a list randomizer, and that will be the draft order I'll work with... Just something different to see what some teams would do in a different slot. No trades, and I may even ignore slot value for the sake of the mock. Here goes.

(Again, completely random draft order)

1. Minnesota Vikings: Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford - Even with a first round pick spent on a QB last year, I don't think the Vikings would pass up the opportunity to take Luck... Not many teams would.

2. San Francisco 49ers - David DeCastro, OG, Stanford - Probably a surprise pick, but Harbaugh seems to really like Alex Smith at QB. With them continuing to groom Kaepernick, I think they'll pass on RG3 and take the best guard prospect we've seen since Mike Iupati (who coincidentally was also taken by Frisco) and they put together one of the best offensive line units in the NFL. Also doesn't hurt that Harbaugh recruited and coached Decastro at Stanford.

3. New England Patriots - Morris Claiborne, CB, LSU - Dream scenario. Pats would take all of about 5 seconds to turn in their card.

4. New England Patriots - Quinton Coples, DE, UNC - The randomizer was kind to the Pats. Two top 5 picks. I wanted to go Blackmon here, but the Pats signed Lloyd and a slew of other serviceable FA's at receiver. This would be a slight reach for Coples, but he's the best 43 end in the draft, and he and Claiborne would be a huge shot in the arm for an aging and struggling defensive unit.

5. Philadelphia Eagles - Robert Griffin, QB, Baylor - Who better to be Vick's eventual replacement than a guy with a similar skill-set? This also allows RG3 to sit and learn a more conventional NFL offense for a while, which may or may not even be entirely necessary, IDK... RG3 is the pick and I'm not sure why. Too much talent to pass up.

6. Carolina Panthers - Matt Kalil, OT, USC - Huge steal at #6 at an area of fairly high need for the Panthers. They do have Jordan Gross at LT, so they can either move him to RT or have Kalil fill in for an injury prone Otah at RT until he eventually takes over. Too many great LT's, not a bad problem to have.

7. Green Bay Packers - Melvin Ingram, OLB, South Carolina - Packers have nobody across from Clay Matthews, and it's probably their biggest need. They pick up arguably the best 34 pass rusher in the draft. No brainer.

8. Washington Redskins - Ryan Tannehill, QB, Texas A&M - Not the QB the Redskins or their fans are hoping for, but they simply cannot go into the 2012 season with Rex Grossman at QB. They really can't afford to take anyone other than Tannehill here.

9. Pittsburgh Steelers - Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama - Ignoring glaring needs on the interior offensive and defensive lines, they take the best available talent. Mendenhall had a pretty mediocre year last year, and is coming off of a torn ACL that he suffered in week 17.

10. Seattle Seahawks - Courtney Upshaw, DE, Alabama - I can't say I know much about Seattle, but I do know that DE is their biggest need without question. Upshaw isn't the best fit for a 43, but he does possess some natural pass rushing abilities.

11. Detroit Lions - Riley Reiff, OT, Iowa - It's about goddamn time Detroit stops ignoring the offensive line in the draft.

12. St. Louis Rams - Justin Blackmon, WR, Oklahoma State - Bradford need weapons. Badly. Blackmon at 12 is a crazy steal. Jeff Fisher would run on stage and announce the pick himself immediately after the Lions pick is in.

13. Cleveland Browns - Michael Floyd, WR, Notre Dame - Tough spot for the Browns. Miss out on a QB, Claiborne and Blackmon. Floyd would probably be the pick here. Playmakers on offense are needed.

14. Buffalo Bills - Jonathan Martin, OT, Stanford - Bills lost Demetrius Bell via free agency. They need a replacement at LT. Martin is the pick.

15. Cincinnati Bengals - Dre Kirkpatrick, CB, Alabama - I suppose corner is one of the bigger weaknesses on the Bengals Roster. 15 is within Kirkpatrick's potential range, so this works, I guess. I had a bit of trouble with this pick, but I couldn't really think of anyone better for Cincy in this slot.

16. New York Giants - Cordy Glenn, OG/OT, Georgia - Another tough pick. The Giants really have no glaring needs. No RB left is worth a mid first round pick. Had they not traded for Keith Rivers last week, Kuechly would have been the no brainer pick. Glenn is a versatile lineman that would add valuable depth to the offensive line.

17. Dallas Cowboys - Fletcher Cox, DE/DT, Mississippi State - Upgrade over whoever the hell plays across from Marcus Spears. Pretty good value at 17 for Cox as well.

18. Kansas City Chiefs - Dontari Poe, DT, Memphis - I'm not sure how the Chiefs view Jerrell Powe (whom they drafted in the 6th round last year). Being a 6th round pick, I'm sure they'll be willing to upgrade if they get the opportunity. Poe is the best NT in the draft, and there is a possibility that he goes top 10 in the real draft, so 18 would be solid value.

19. Baltimore Ravens - Mike Adams, OT, OSU - Bryant McKinnie is getting old. The Ravens are pretty thin across the board on the offensive line, so I would imagine that they'd draft the best available lineman regardless of position. Mike Adams has the potential to play either tackle position and even worked out at guard during the Senior Bowl.

20. Cincinnati Bengls - Mark Barron, S, Alabama - A replacement AND upgrade over Chris Crocker. The Bengals bolster their secondary with two Bammer DB's.

21. Denver Broncos - Michael Brockers, DT, LSU - They need a replacement for Bunkley, who signed with the Saints. A talented DT prospect that has a very high ceiling, but may need some time to develop. The potential is sky high, but also has high bust potential. They need to address interior d-line, so they take the risk. At 21, it's well worth the risk.

22. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Luke Kuechly, LB, Boston College - One of the top defensive players in the draft at 22. The Kuechly slide stops here. LB is probably the Bucs biggest need, so they end up making the best out of a bad situation with the poor randomizer pick.

23. Miami Dolphins - Whitney Mercilus, DE, Illinois - Dolphins have nobody across from Cameron Wake. Mercilus is the best pass rusher available. Weeden could be a possibility in this imaginary scenario as well.

24. Jacksonville Jaguars - Stephon Gilmore, CB, Sakerlina - I'm not sure if they'd still go WR after picking up Robinson and Lee Evans. They also picked up Aaron Ross, so I'm not sure how pressing the need for a CB is either. DE would be their biggest need, but none that are left would really be worth taking at 24. It'd be between Gilmore, Stephen Hill, Kendall Wright, Nick Perry, Kendall Reyes or Andre Branch here. I went Gilmore.

25. New York Jets - Stephen Hill, WR, GT - The Jets need an infusion of talent at the receiver position. Burress is old as hell, and Holmes was pretty bad last year. Certainly not living up to that contract. Hill is raw, but has the natural athletic ability to come in and stretch the field right away as a rookie.

26. Cleveland Browns - Janoris Jenkins, CB, North Alabama - Another tough pick. Weeden could be the pick here if this were real, but I just cannot justify taking Weeden in the first round. Talent-wise, Jenkins is the second best corner in this draft. He may slip due to some off field issues on draft day. Browns get pretty good value at 26.

27. Chicago Bears - Nick Perry, DE, USC - Underrated player. Perry is every bit the prospect that Coples is, just without the frame. Gifted athlete that should fit right in across from Peppers.

28. Indianapolis Colts - Brandon Weeden, QB, Oklahoma State - I said earlier that I couldn't justify Weeden going int the first, but if the Colts were in this situation, I don't think they'd have a choice. Unfortunate for Indy, but this is the best they could do here.

29 Tennessee Titans - Peter Konz, C, Wisconsin - The Titans are reported to be considering Konz at 20 in the actual draft. I think taking him at 29 would be much easier to accept.

30. Houston Texans - Kendall Wright, WR, Baylor - Pretty good value with Wright at 30. Houston needs an upgrade at #2 receiver. One of the easier picks in this mock.

31. Arizona Cardinals - Amini Silatolu, OG/OT, Midwestern State - Silatolu could potentially devlop into one of the best lineman in this draft. He comes from a smaller school, so there will be a steeper learning curve for him, but the talent is there. He's not the can't miss prospect that the Cards desperately need on the line, but he's versatile, and the Cards need talent all across the line.

32. San Diego Chargers - Andre Branch, OLB, Clemson - Larry English is a bust. The Chargers need to upgrade their pass rush.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
Pats like Ingram more than Coples, but whatever lol

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
Pretty interesting to say the least. I'd probably like Stephen Hill more than anyone we're going to draft at 16.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%