Pierce: "If I ran the NBA"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whisper

Living like a Don in my own mind
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
So, apparently Paul Pierce(notes) has a knack for this ol' bloggin' thingamajig.

In his second post in as many days at Boston.com, the Celtics forward writes — or at least dictates to a Boston Globe reporter — what he'd do if he ran the NBA.

Pierce's three fundamental changes for the league: Ditch the age limit ("if you're a pro, you're a pro"); shorten the season to 60 games (fat chance with advertisers); and raise the rim three inches.

The Truth:

The athletes today are crazy. You see the way guys are jumping these days. I would raise the rim three inches. Then, you have to learn the art of the jump shot. You'll have to know how to play this game a little bit better then. Raising the rim, you'll see increasing play. You'll see increasing fundamentals. I'm telling you.

This idea is nothing new. For years, Tom Newell, son of legendary basketball big man coach Pete Newell, has suggested the NBA and NCAA play with 11-foot rims. Like Pierce, Newell hypothesizes that higher rims would see an emphasis on spacing, passing and working for open shots. Basketball Fundamentals 101!

Personally, I don't see the NBA jacking those nets up anytime soon. In fact, to paraphrase The Mighty MJD, just try to imagine telling Commissioner David Stern, "Hey, boss, we have an idea that will decrease highlight dunks and three-point shots." I'd be amazed if you avoided that trap-floor door opening beneath your feet. Those sharks don't tickle.

But what do you think? Is Pierce onto something? Sound off.
Ditching the age limit, I agree with that.

60 game season? Only saying that because he and his team are old lol

He does bring up an interesting case about the rim thing though. Lots of really athletic guys coming in now are a lot more concerned about making highlight plays instead of just playing and refining their games. Something does need to be done about that. Idk if raising the rim is the solution though.

playmaker7

The GOAT
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Yeah Pierce has some good ideas and I agree with the age limit thing too

DC4

#TeamHeat
Reaction score
I agree with the Age limit

.GR

#BlackFalcon
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree with the age limit but raising the rim? No.

Blake

I'm goin' lamb bruh.
Reaction score
Raising the rim may be the worst idea in NBA History.

Outside of the short shorts and Oklahoma City orange sneakers.

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Shortening seasons to 60 games is crazy imo. It makes it less exciting imo.

DC4

#TeamHeat
Reaction score
Pauly is just lazy I bet he goes into coaching after his career though

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I think we are all thankful Pierce doesn't run the NBA lol.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Raising the rim is retarded. Everyone in the NBA and everyone currently striving to make the NBA grew up with 10 foot rims, and it would take some time to adjust to new ones. Some great shooters could lose their touch and guys with horrible line drive shots would be even worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%