Phillies to sign Papelbon

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The Phils and Papelbon have reached agreement sources tell CSNPhilly.com. Pending physical.
http://twitter.com/#!/JSalisburyCSN/status/135073246478467072

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
So the Madsen deal fell through?

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
yup
and this is probably going to be more than the 44M they were going to give madson

haha. i hope they lose Hamels because of all these giant contracts

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
Yes, the Madson deal fell through early this week.

I thought they signed him too, so when I heard this I thought "how the fuck can they afford Papelbon too?"

I mean, I know Oswalt is gone, but they still had like $170M in payroll I believe. I really dont think they can spend much more unless they have something up their sleeve.

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
The Phillies have agreed to sign Jonathan Papelbon, according to Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com (on Twitter). The agreement is pending a physical. The Phillies appeared to have a deal with Ryan Madson earlier this week, but talks fell through and the sides didn't complete the rumored four-year, $44MM deal.

Papelbon, 30, posted a 2.94 ERA with 12.2 K/9 and 1.4 BB/9 in 64 1/3 innings for the Red Sox in 2011, saving 31 games. He's a Type A free agent who will cost the Phillies their first round draft pick in 2012. Boston will obtain the 31st overall pick in next June's draft unless the Phillies sign an additional Type A free agent with a higher ranking than Papelbon. If the Phillies lose Madson to another team after offering him arbitration, they'll surrender one pick and gain two.
MLBTR

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
1:42pm: The sides have agreed to a four-year deal that approaches $50MM in value, according to Salisbury (on Twitter).
Also MLBTR.

If true, I think the extra $6M is worth the upgrade from Madson to Papelbon.

Madson only has one year of closing experience under his belt and I just think Pap is the better pitcher.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
i dont care who's closing, that is a lot for a reliever

the extra 6M is not worth the "upgrade"

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Not a fan of giving big money to closers. A 'closer mentality' is one of the most overrated terms in sports. Just put your best reliever at closer.

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Not unless they pay up. He'll probably end up on the Angels though he has said he'd love to pitch in Boston.

Good for Pap, he made his money. For their sake, though, somebody better remind him to throw his other pitches too.

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
Heath Bell said after the regular season ended that he would accept arb if the Padres offered it to him. There is no way that they won't considering they would get picks if he left.

So he's guaranteed to go back to San Diego unless they don't want him back, which they do and they basically have to have him back after trading away his only logical replacement in Mike Adams at the deadline this past season.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Heath Bell said after the regular season ended that he would accept arb if the Padres offered it to him. There is no way that they won't considering they would get picks if he left.

So he's guaranteed to go back to San Diego unless they don't want him back, which they do and they basically have to have him back after trading away his only logical replacement in Mike Adams at the deadline this past season.
with the way pap got paid and the contract the phils were going to give madson, he just may decline

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
This isnt a good deal for the Phillies, they are spending big money on players that are getting old and thats the proper formula to win. Way too much money for a closer, especially considering that the lineup isnt all that great anymore.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%