Phillies Close To 4-Year Deal With Ryan Madson

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
The Phillies are closing in on a four-year deal with Ryan Madson, according to Jim Duquette of MLB Network (Twitter links). The contract could include a fifth year vesting option for the Scott Boras client. Jayson Stark of ESPN.com reported last night that the Phillies were making a strong push for Madson and others have since confirmed the news.

Madson, 31, became Philadelphia's full-time closer in 2011, converting 32 saves. He posted a 2.37 ERA with 9.2 K/9, 2.4 BB/9 and a 48.8% ground ball rate in 60 2/3 innings of relief. He's a Type A free agent, but the Phillies won't have to surrender a draft pick to sign their own player. However, they would obtain two picks if the right-hander signs elsewhere after turning down arbitration.
MLBTR

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
5:07pm: Yahoo's Tim Brown confirms the sides are discussing a deal worth $44MM over four years plus a fifth-year option for $13MM (Twitter links). Nothing is official yet.
Stupid stupid stupid deal for the Phillies. Madson isn't worth that money.

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
What in the? I wonder what guys like Bell and them are going to get. Gonna be tough for the Jays to re-build their BP.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
lol ruben amaro strikes again

terrible deal

i like madson a lot, but that is some serious coin for a reliever

forking out that kind of cash for relievers is really foolish. a good bullpen could be made on the cheap. look at tampa
look at my dodgers(giving guerrier that deal was idiotic, but other than that the pen was all minimum salary guys and it was a great pen)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%