Penalty shot

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyGuy

Reaction score
Here's an idea...say the player gets a penalty shot but does not score on the penalty shot. Should the player who caused the penalty shot go off and sit in the box for 2 minutes?

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
That's actually a really interesting point. Cause every time I watch a hockey game with a penalty shot, I thought the same thing.

I do think they should get the penalty if missed.

playmaker7

The GOAT
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Well I think its fair that the shooter gets a breakaway that can easily be scored on with the right moves.

Giving them a breakway plus a power play is a little much IMO at least

HockeyGuy

Reaction score
I was thinking about this today at work when I was bored :lol: but ya for the most part a penalty shot is usually a goal but if they do miss itd be cool to see the player causing the penalty shot still go off in the box, it would make things really interesting. Players would sure smarten up but then we would see less penalty shots.

Mooche

Reaction score
It's definitely too much to do this. You have a 1-1 scoring chance against the goalie, there is no need to imply a penalty if you do miss the shot.

That's your chance.

LeafsFan4Life

Reaction score
Give the team the choice of taking the shot or having a 2 minute power play.

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Give the team the choice of taking the shot or having a 2 minute power play.
Was gonna say this

or can anyone to take the penalty shot in the NHL? Because I know in soccer, any person on the field can take the shot so, if that's not the case here, anyone on the team should be able to shoot. That way a 4th liner doesn't have to take a penalty shot.

TTN2810

Reaction score
How about a shot, and a one minute power play?

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
How about a shot, and a one minute power play?
That's what I was thinking..

I never played hockey, but I feel like a penalty shot is a lot harder than it looks for the player.

Yankees2772

RIP Derek Boogaard
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The whole point of the penalty shot is to try and replicate what would have happened without the penalty. If you get tripped on a breakaway, you still get the chance to complete the play (often to no avail)... But then you get the penalty shot; which is basically another try at the breakaway, this time without any chance of being tripped up by a defender. The punishment fits the crime here.

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
That's what I was thinking..

I never played hockey, but I feel like a penalty shot is a lot harder than it looks for the player.
Playing goalie for 8 years and facing numerous penalty shots, I can tell you it's not the easiest thing for a goalie either.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Didn't think it was lol.
I'm just saying, I feel like a 2 minute penalty is more rewarding than one penalty shot.

But like I said, I don't play hockey so I have no idea.

Yankees2772

RIP Derek Boogaard
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Didn't think it was lol.
I'm just saying, I feel like a 2 minute penalty is more rewarding than one penalty shot.

But like I said, I don't play hockey so I have no idea.
Not true.

Teams score on the PP around 20% of the time (most teams are under, and no team is higher than 24%, but for simplicity I'll say 20%).

I couldn't find the exact stat for this year, but last year the penalty shot % was 29% and that was the lowest in quite some time - it was 39% the year before that, and over 30% for the past 5 years. Penalty shots are higher percentage. Of course, this doesn't take into account the 2 minutes of pressure on the PK unit and the goalie, but from a pure scoring perspective - penalty shots are about 10% higher percentage plays.

Mooche

Reaction score
I really think the way the system now is perfect. Yanks hit the nail on the head, it's definitely enough chances to score a goal and it really doesn't have to be made easier in any other ways.

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
What if teams had the option of picking any player on the ice to take it?

Yankees2772

RIP Derek Boogaard
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
That's awful. The penalty shot replicates what would have happened without the penalty. It's perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%