Parker nearly traded to Blazers

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaintFan25

#JK25
Reaction score
The San Antonio Spurs and Portland Trail Blazers nearly completed a blockbuster trade on Wednesday afternoon, but the deal fell apart in the late stages. San Antonio was prepared to ship Tony Parker and the #29 pick to Portland in exchange for Andre Miller, Nicolas Batum and the #21 pick, but the trade died when the Spurs insisted that Richard Jefferson somehow be included in the deal. Other players would have been included in the trade to make salaries work. Talks have quieted for now, but they could pick back up tomorrow if one of the teams has a change of heart.
http://www.blazersedge.com/2011/6/22/2238535/kennedy-blazers-nearly-traded-for-spurs-g-tony-parker

Interesting, I'd like to get Parker but I'm iffy on sending Batum for him. We'll see if they pick things back up tomorrow.

DJT

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Kinda glad this didn't happen Batum, Miller, and the #21 for him, #29 and Richard Jefferson's horrible contract.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
How would they have even gotten the contracts to work with R-Jeff and Parker?

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Does anyone else feel like the Spurs and Lakers know that it is pretty much midnight for them? Now they're trying to reload.

As for Batum, I honestly don't get the hype around this guy. Don't get me wrong, I think he's a good player and all but wasn't Portland offered like the 4th pick a few years back for Batum and they declined? Seems like to me Batums the #1 prospect in this trade for SA also.

I'm sure Dove can tell me more, but when I watch Batum play I see a guy that benefits from being long and having solid quickness on both ends of the floor (transition on offense, use around the basket, and asset on defense) and is a solid shooter. But I don't see that much else. I don't think he has great instincts and has the ability to put the ball on the floor and drive to the rim or get his own shots. His best asset on offense is his transition game, imo.

SaintFan25

#JK25
Reaction score
i assume jefferson had to be part of the deal to fill batums spot.
Well yeah I'm not worried about who will take Batum's spot I'm just worried about losing someone as talented as Batum is especially when every GM around the league knows his potential and are willing to trade for him. I like TP but if we're gonna trade Batum I feel like there could be better trades out there.

Does anyone else feel like the Spurs and Lakers know that it is pretty much midnight for them? Now they're trying to reload.

As for Batum, I honestly don't get the hype around this guy. Don't get me wrong, I think he's a good player and all but wasn't Portland offered like the 4th pick a few years back for Batum and they declined? Seems like to me Batums the #1 prospect in this trade for SA also.

I'm sure Dove can tell me more, but when I watch Batum play I see a guy that benefits from being long and having solid quickness on both ends of the floor (transition on offense, use around the basket, and asset on defense) and is a solid shooter. But I don't see that much else. I don't think he has great instincts and has the ability to put the ball on the floor and drive to the rim or get his own shots. His best asset on offense is his transition game, imo.
Well he's great defensively which everyone knows, offensively he's got so much potential. He already has a wet jumper but the main thing he needs to work on is being more aggressive. He's got great driving ability but doesn't really take advantage of that unless it's in transition (like you were talking about). He tends to be passive at times but I've seen games (mostly last season) where he took over a game with his driving both in transition and from a set offense. Again if he becomes more aggressive and stops being passive you'll see his potential. However now that we got G-Wall he'll be our 6th man for a while unless we decide to use a small lineup like we did towards the end of last season with LA at the 5 and G-Wall at the 4.

And yes I do feel like the Lakers and Spurs are starting to notice their age, they've been involved in a lot of trade talks for young talent so I'm sure that's why.

$tunna

teejus
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
TP would be NICE in Portland

lakerfan

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I don't think so. The San Antonio rumors actually shouldn't be all that surprising. Even though they re-signed him last year, Parker has been an expendable asset because of the emergence of George Hill for about a season and a half now. Either one of them could be swapped, but trading Parker because of his name recognition now gives them an opportunity to get younger without losing a whole lot at the position that would be difficult to pass up.

As far as the Lakers are concerned, they seem reluctant to trade any major assets by all accounts, and odds are likely the team stays the same next season. I don't think the front office is under any urgency to break up the core, either. Its hard to say its midnight under those circumstances. They can dangle Lamar Odom and Walton around, but they're not attractive trade pieces by any means either regardless of what the rumors say, and doesn't account for wholesale change.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I don't think so. The San Antonio rumors actually shouldn't be all that surprising. Even though they re-signed him last year, Parker has been an expendable asset because of the emergence of George Hill for about a season and a half now. Either one of them could be swapped, but trading Parker because of his name recognition now gives them an opportunity to get younger without losing a whole lot at the position that would be difficult to pass up.

As far as the Lakers are concerned, they seem reluctant to trade any major assets by all accounts, and odds are likely the team stays the same next season. I don't think the front office is under any urgency to break up the core, either. Its hard to say its midnight under those circumstances. They can dangle Lamar Odom and Walton around, but they're not attractive trade pieces by any means either regardless of what the rumors say, and doesn't account for wholesale change.
For the Spurs, I think it has more to do with getting younger than the emergence of Hill. They've shopped Hill around for lottery picks also this year. They're shopping Hill and Parker.

Lakers still have a season or two (I do think their real championship contention is overwith though), but they know their days are running out.

Brutalis

"Take heart, or I will take it from you." - BN
Reaction score

Parker made comments after the playoffs that ruined his relationship with the front office and RC Buford. Therefor he is being shopped.

RJ is on the table in every deal they have discussed with the Kings, Blazers, Bucks and the Pacers. They got a deal done with Indiana however involving Hill who they had been shopping as well.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Looks like Parker will remain in San Antonio now that Hill is gone.

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score

Like someone above me said, he's a great defender and has a lot of potential on the offesnive end. He's only 22 if you didn't know. I think he has a TON of potential to be a star.

lakerfan

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Prophetic? Like I said, their depth in that position made either one of those guards expendable assets and they got a younger, complementary piece as a result. I personally thought and still believe trading Parker would have been the best decision and netted them a better reward, but the team showed Parker loyalty and that is something you don't see every day in the NBA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%