Oh, the irony...

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
During last night's Yanks vs. Stros game, Carlos Correa made it to 1B on an errant throw from Dellin Betances:

[video=youtube;heK1wwFuyDI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heK1wwFuyDI[/video]

Notice what was wrong with that picture?

Correa ran through the grass to 1B, thus effecting the window in which Betances had to throw the ball to Teixeira. The play allowed Altuve to score and the Astros take the lead. Girardi played the game under protest after his appeal to the umpires didn't result in any overturning of a calls. The play is not reviewable. It gets better...

According to the umpire, if Betances' throw hit Correa in the back, then Correa would've been called out for impeding the play. Girardi acknowledged this and said: "...you're asking one of our players to assault theirs...that's not what baseball wants." See the below notes from the post-game interview with the umpire and tell me this situation isn't f'd up:

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
Incredible. And if he throws the ball at Correas back and breaks a bone, now we're changing that rule so you can't peg the runner.

Either protect the players or dont, but MLB can't have it both ways.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

cavsfan817

You trying to get the pipe?
Reaction score
It sucks, but it's the rule. I umpire high school and college ball and it's something that you can't really do anything about. If the runner is not hit with the ball, by rule, he can't have impeded the throw. It's a situation that should be looked at and a rule that should be changed.

Mudge

Reaction score
While Correa was way on the grass, he did not cause the problem so much as it was a bad throw plain and simple A good throw gets him.

That said, Betances should have just hit Correa -- not even real hard.

semperty

Reaction score
GMF said:
Incredible. And if he throws the ball at Correas back and breaks a bone, now we're changing that rule so you can't peg the runner.

Either protect the players or dont, but MLB can't have it both ways.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
MLB has the right rule, it was just poorly applied here.

cavsfan817

Reaction score
Not sure how you can have the right rule applied incorrectly here...

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Mudge said:
While Correa was way on the grass, he did not cause the problem so much as it was a bad throw plain and simple A good throw gets him.

That said, Betances should have just hit Correa -- not even real hard.
It was a bad throw because Correa got in the way. Betances lofted a rainbow toward 1B b/c Correa was blocking the path. I would've drilled Correa in a heartbeat but Betances is a much nicer guy than I am.

semperty

Reaction score
GMF said:
How was it applied poorly?
The ump showed a very clear inconsistency in his response. If Correa had been in the same spot, but been hit, he'd have been out. That means he's in the baseline, and that he caused the poor play.

semperty

Reaction score
cavsfan817 said:
Not sure how you can have the right rule applied incorrectly here...
Poor officiating happens, you know. That doesn't mean the rule is flawed, it means the ump is.

cavsfan817

Reaction score
semperty said:
Poor officiating happens, you know. That doesn't mean the rule is flawed, it means the ump is.
It's not flawed at all. The play is by the book...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%