OFFICIAL: Anthony Davis traded to Lakers

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Everything is about leverage. Paul making that comment in public is a push for leverage, if Boston doesnt even have an offer on the table theres no need to make that comment.

Ive said it all along, if Boston pushes all their chips in, he will be a Celtic. Whether thats for a year or more than a year, dont know dont care. If they dont, he will be a Laker. The Lakers and Knicks arent out knocking on doors right now trying to find veteran players the Pelicans like without the Pelicans having leverage on their side.

The Pelicans have the largest chip on the table and everyone else wants it. I still ultimately think hes a Laker next season though.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
How on earth do they not?

And please dont say because theyve made it clear he wont resign because that hasnt dissuaded any team from going after him.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Im going to change my wording a bit there. It hasnt dissuaded any team from being competitive. Would Boston be more willing to include EVERYTHING if they knew for a fact he would resign? Who knows.

Ive also heard the Knicks are getting cold feet, but thats because of how the Melo trade turned out, trading all that young talent and accomplishing nothing.

buzzy

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I'd put my money on the field and not the obvious candidates like LA, NY or Boston. I can see a team swooping in and taking a chance like Toronto did.
Someone like Denver, Portland, Philly .. shit I don't know

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
buzzy said:
I'd put my money on the field and not the obvious candidates like LA, NY or Boston. I can see a team swooping in and taking a chance like Toronto did.
Someone like Denver, Portland, Philly .. shit I don't know
Portland is a wild card. Offering McCollum, Collins, and picks. But I dont think thats enough to get it done.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
From the rumors i've been hearing:

Lakers get AD
Bulls get Lonzo and #4
Pels get ingram lavine and dunn (maybe kuz too)

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
nolafan33 said:
How on earth do they not?

And please dont say because theyve made it clear he wont resign because that hasnt dissuaded any team from going after him.
I've never said any team has hesitated, yet at least, but that doesn't mean the Pelicans have any leverage. They know what everybody knows. If they don't trade him, they get nothing for him, and they'll make damn sure not to do that.

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
From somebody with actual insider knowledge:

Hey guys,

As of 10pm yesterday, Lakers and pelicans have agreed on majority of the trade. What I was told is that Lakers have official told pelicans what they are putting on the table, and the pelicans have agreed to it

The problem has been the third team, during the initial stages it was between Chicago and Phoenix. However both teams have fallen off, two new emerging team have came out, the wizards and the hawks.

There is a high sense of optimism that the trade will get done.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
we've been trying to explain leverage for years. its obvious that its gone in one ear and out the other. im done with this thread until he's traded.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I would be very curious what would be going out to the 3rd team. Im assuming Lonzo and #4, but one of the bigger changes between February and now is that the new Pelicans staff really likes Lonzo. But I would also safely assume that they would like the return from the 3rd team more than Lonzo, Griffin wanted an All-Star type, someone with All-Star potential, and picks. I heard Washington, Atlanta, and Chicago are possible 3rd teams.

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
nolafan33 said:
I would be very curious what would be going out to the 3rd team. Im assuming Lonzo and #4, but one of the bigger changes between February and now is that the new Pelicans staff really likes Lonzo. But I would also safely assume that they would like the return from the 3rd team more than Lonzo, Griffin wanted an All-Star type, someone with All-Star potential, and picks. I heard Washington, Atlanta, and Chicago are possible 3rd teams.
All three of those teams were mentioned in what I just posted, so it's good to know you can read at least.

Paulius

Reaction score

“Pelicans and Celtics have an agreement in place”

Stick to what you’ve “been saying for weeks” homie

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
From what Ive been hearing, Boston is more involved in the Anthony Davis sweepstakes than I originally believed, but less than you think he is.

Kyries going to Brooklyn; hes gone, and Danny is using it as leverage against the Pelicans. Right now they are offering two packages - one to take now, one to wait on.

The offer available right now is Jaylen Brown, Marcus Smart, all three 1sts, and the Memphis 1st (plus addl salary pieces). The second deal is that if they want Tatum, they wait until Marcus Morris signs somewhere, and make it a 3 team deal where the Pelicans get Tatum, Baynes, Robert Williams, and a TPE. There are no picks - the deal is essentially just AD for Tatum.

Griffin is trying to get Boston to meld the two packages together, and give up Tatum and Brown, or Tatum+Smart+picks. Theyre trying to use the Lakers deal as a leverage piece to get Danny to up the ante, but its well known that the Pelicans are trying to avoid dealing with the Lakers and they prefer Tatum over anything else.

Thats where their concept of leverage is flawed, because Ainge will not overpay for Davis, especially when hes honestly more likely to leave than stay in Boston. The Lakers will offer a better package than the Celtics, and thats fine. The organization will be aggressive towards getting Davis, but not at the cost of deteriorating the franchise

buzzy

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Brooklyn should offer D'Angelo via S&T. Getting Kyrie and AD would be some sweet revenge

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
Its also trickier than youd think, as I recently learned about Base Year Compensation rules within the CBA.

In short, if youre sending away a S&T player, that salary they sign is not 100% calculated the same for trade purposes. It actually only counts for 50% of the new contract or last years salary, whichever is higher.

Russell made $9.2M last year, and his max his year is $27.3M, meaning that if used in a trade Russell counts for $13.6M im outgoing salary.

The Nets would need to send out minimally $21.6M in outgoing salaries to get Davis (if he doesnt activate his trade kicker; then its $24.8M). Theyd have to scrap most/all their roster to get a deal done

buzzy

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Fair enough, but to the first point, does it really matter if DLo agrees? He's in restricted free agency, no?

Besides, when does a sign and trade turn into a signing .. and a trade? Like if they use RFA on him and then trade him at some point in time, isn't it a straight up normal trade?

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
If Russell is fine with going to New Orleans, then it works just fine as a S&T (with other salary pieces moving as well) that goes into effect June 30

If he doesnt want to go to New Orleans, he wont be moved there during the offseason. The Nets can match him, but theyd have to wait until December to then move him to a team he doesnt want to go to. Itll also restrict them from doing anything more than signing Kyrie

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%