Teagz

Dogs.
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Jordan Zimmermann
and the Nationals have​
avoided arbitration
with a one-year deal.​
Zimmermann requested $5.8 million in his second season of arbitration eligibility and the Nationals countered at $4.6 million after he threw 196 innings with a 2.94 ERA at age 26.​
Zimmermann bounced back from Tommy John elbow surgery remarkably well to establish himself as one of the best young starters in baseball and as a “Super Two” player the Nationals still control him via arbitration for 2014 and 2015.​
His hearing was scheduled for Tuesday, so the two sides cut it pretty close.​

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
Wilpon should make good on debt-free claim by pursuing closer Valverde

PORT ST. LUCIE — Since Fred Wilpon just announced to the world he’s debt-free and ready to spend, well ... here’s a free agent for the taking who could help immediately:

The door remains “slightly ajar” for free agent Jose Valverde to join the Mets as their closer, an industry source told The Post. As with the Mets’ pursuit of Michael Bourn, you bet against this actually happening. But this is considerably less complicated than the Bourn endeavor.

There’s no draft compensation tied to Valverde, and nowhere as much money as Bourn required to sign; both players are represented by Scott Boras. Valverde, who recorded 35 saves in 2012 and 110 over the past three seasons with Detroit — the most in baseball over that time span — would require just a one-year contract.

Team officials will assess the pitchers’ performances in games while continuing to collect information on Valverde. Of course, as ultimately occurred with Bourn and Cleveland, Valverde could simply sign with another team at any time and close (pun intended, sorry) the issue.

The source said the Mets view Valverde, who turns 35 next month, as “a 5 out of 10.” Yet it’s not like the current Mets bullpen is full of 8s and 9s.

[font=lucida sans unicode']“He has a closer’s mentality,” Dave Dombrowski, the Tigers general manager, said of Valverde in a telephone interview. “He knows how to close a game.” Valverde posted the highest save percentage (93.2) during his three-year stay with the Tigers, blowing just eight regular-season opportunities, as noted by ESPN’s Jayson Stark.[/font]

[font=lucida sans unicode']Detroit manager Jim Leyland spoke passionately to reporters on Thursday about Valverde, lamenting his former closer’s current unemployment. Leyland touted Valverde to his longtime friend, Terry Collins, the Mets’ manager, during the winter meetings in Nashville.[/font]
I agree entirely. Obviously his asking price won't be that high, and Parnell has proven time and time again he doesn't have the closer's mentality. In fact he's almost perfect for the set-up roll. It's time for Wilpon to put up or shut up -- I don't care if you say you're debt free, prove it to me and sign somebody of importance.

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
Damn it i really hate our outfield. Its so subpar to league standard, none of them will hit even .280

Teagz

Dogs.
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Yep lol. The Mets outfield is horrendous.

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
The Mets are targeting late next week for Johan Santana to make his spring training debut. The lefty had his spring schedule pushed back because of weakness in his surgically repaired shoulder. “All signs point to his shoulder getting the strength he needs. He’s happy with the way he feels, he’s happy with how he is throwing right now,” Terry Collins said. “This is the schedule we’ve had all along.”

Santana, who declined to talk to the media on Wednesday, did a long-toss session then some light work off a half mound before the Mets’ game against his native Venezuelan World Baseball Classic team. He sped up his workout schedule Sunday when he did an unexpected bullpen session in reaction to reports that the Mets were not happy with his fitness.

With Santana Back on the original plan, Collins said Santanathe ace will pitch another bullpen session and then a batting practice before pitching in a game. While Collins would not commit to an exact date, the schedule puts Santana on track to pitch Thursday against the Tigers. That would give him a chance to make three spring training starts before camp breaks but still make Opening Day questionable. “I am not getting caught up in Opening Day right now,” Collins said. “A lot will be determined by how he comes out of the next few days, how he comes out of his start when he comes out of it.”

Source: New York Daily News

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
Daniel Murphy Takes Swing In Right Direction

PORT ST. LUCIE — Daniel Murphy hit in the cage Saturday and said he is progressing well from the strained muscle in his right side that has kept him from making his Grapefruit League debut this spring.

“I took batting practice in the cage today and I felt good. I will come in tomorrow and see how I responded,” Murphy said. “The load of work I have put on my back has taken well. We are going a little slower and a little smarter, so when I do hit the field I am there for good.”

The expected Opening Day second baseman, Murphy said there is still plenty of time for him to get ready for the season.

“I don’t know a specific number (of at-bats) or exactly what it will take,” Murphy said. “Between 40 and 50 maybe, and between the big-league side (of camp), and the staff and players on the minor-league side are really understanding (so) if I feel like I am short, I can go over there and get seven or eight at-bats.”

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
Valdespin has been real impressive so far this spring. 3 HRs and 6 RBIs now. Idc how bad he is defensively, he needs to start in RF come April -- they need the offensive productivity as well as his speed.

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
Damn Jose Fernandez had a very good game today. I think he is going to be really good, although I disagree that the Marlins brought him up so soon.

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
The Mets have a pulse on the situationregarding Rockies outfielder Carlos Gonzalez, reports the New York Daily News. While the Rockies have given no indication about their plans for Gonzalez if they fall out of the playoff race, the News reports Mets executives have an interest in 27-year-old outfielder.

Source: Cbssports.com

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
I'm quickly starting to hate this trade. 

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Might have to move him at 1B if this keeps happening.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
Ike hit over 30 bombs last year. Unless his bat goes cold all season I don't see that happening. 

RunRickyRun

Reaction score
Slowey is probably done for the season.  Reports that he won't even be cleared to begin throwing for another 4-6 weeks.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
snipe said:
Might have to move him at 1B if this keeps happening.

TheKMan said:
Ike hit over 30 bombs last year. Unless his bat goes cold all season I don't see that happening. 

Wow, I was way fucking wrong a few months ago. Maybe Travis does end up at 1B eventually. 

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The New York Mets have signed Daisuke Matsuzaka to a Minor League contract.

Matsuzaka will compete to be the team's fifth starter.

The 33-year-old went 3-3 with a 4.42 ERA in seven late-season starts with the Mets in 2013 after opting out with the Cleveland Indians, for whom he had been pitching in Triple-A.

Via Adam Rubin/ESPN

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
eh. I'd rather give it to young guys like Meja, Familia, or Montero. No need to have a washed up guy take away that spot.

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I'm stoked to see syndergaard pitch. Hopefully he gets a shot in September.

RunRickyRun

Reaction score
6 games back right now and we took it to the Cards today. Might finally be buying at the deadline for the first time in this decade!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%