NL: DH or no DH

Should the NL have...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

brett05

Reaction score
catman said:
If MLB really wants to have a true league, they will have the same rules for everyone.  The DH allows an aging popular player (like Albert Pujols or Jim Thome) to stay in the game a bit longer.  Having the DH in both leagues will allow more of these guys to stay in the game.
Now, if baseball spits into 3 divisions of 10 teams each, it will be necessary to have uniform rules across the sport.
Where did you hear Three divisions of ten?  Never heard that one.

catman

Reaction score
That idea has been floated around for quite a while.  It would be broken up geographically with 5 team divisions and inter-divisional play.  This would allow the players to stay in the same time-zone more, and decrease the travel.

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
AE. said:
Not the fair weather folks and casual fans. Most people are drawn to contact and violence in any sport. In baseball, the most we get is Aaron Judge hitting a piss missle out of the park.
Homeruns are intense, but I would rather see a power pitcher duel.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
brett05 said:
But not comapred to the pitcher which is why it is an advantage for the NL.
This makes 0 sense. You're comparing who has an advantage in interleague play. The AL has the advantage because they have 1 more high paid hitter on the roster. I have to compare the pinch hitter to the AL dh because he's on the lineup now. Because of the 9th he's in the lineup, when he probably shouldn't be because he sucks.

You're not using thst comparison because you don't want to- it goes against your stance.

When the NL goes to an AL stadium, who has the advantage and why? I'll hang up and listen to your response.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
Fwiw I would say both sides are at a disadvantage when they're the away team. When the NL is away, they don't have that reliable DH. When the AL is away, their pitchers probably have little to no experience batting and an every day hitter has to sit for 3 games. It's a push.

If anything this is a stupid argument.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
the main difference is that you're comparing team versus team, where as brett and myself are arguing situationally

Yes, when an NL team comes to an AL park, their DH is not likely to be that good of a hitter (or whomever they take out of the field to be the DH, is not likely a good hitter). Otherwise that guy would have been starting. But our point is that it needs to be compared to their normal lineups. Like which lineup is a more potent, offensive lineup?

Dodgers Game 1 Lineup: (@LA)
Taylor CF, Turner 3B, Bellinger 1B, Puig RF,  Hernandez LF, Seager SS, Forsythe 2B, Barnes C, Kershaw P
Dodgers Game 3 Lineup (@HOU):
Taylor CF, Seager SS, Turner 3B, Bellinger 1B, Puig RF, Forsythe 2B, Barnes C, Pederson DH, Hernandez LF

Outside of the order, the difference in the lineups is Joc Pederson and Kershaw as the hitter. Kershaw is still pitching normal innings, defensively nothing has changed; the only difference is the offense. And without question, the Dodgers have a weaker batting lineup in Game 1 than in Game 3.

Yes, Joc Pederson may be a worse than Evan Gattis (although in this case he isn't, but generally speaking the NL DH will be worse), but the NL's lineup still gets better while they play at an AL park. Where as the AL team's lineup gets definitively worse when they go to an NL park, because at least NL pitchers have been swinging the bat all season long. 

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
I'm not disagreeing with that. I'm disagreeing that one team has the advantage over the other.

We could use the same scenario and compare the 2017 Mets and Yankees, and in both cases the Yankees have the stronger lineup.

Bottom line is 1 team has 8 every day hitters, the other has 9. Wheb it's in an NL park, both teams are using 8 every day hitters. In an AL park it's 8 every day starters vs 9.

I honestly thought this was who had the advantage in the Game, and I still think it's the AL. NL team's don't even have the opportunity to sign a guy like Encarnacion because they have nowhere to play them. So going in to interleague games, they're already at a disadvantage.

That last point was kind of a weird way of looking at it - I think I'm grasping at straws now, haha.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
But I do get what you're saying- the NL GAINS more from interleague play. But I don't necessarily think that gives them an advantage in matchups

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
Okay I think I get what youre saying now lol

AL teams should have an advantage offensively throughout the season because they get a DH where the NL does not. I dont disagree at all with that. And therefore AL teams struggle more when they have interleague ganes

I think we were both on the same perspective the whole time, just started at the opposite ends of the argument haha

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
PWNdroia said:
Homeruns are intense, but I would rather see a power pitcher duel.
You would...but you’re also a dedicated baseball fan.

brett05

Reaction score
catman said:
That idea has been floated around for quite a while.  It would be broken up geographically with 5 team divisions and inter-divisional play.  This would allow the players to stay in the same time-zone more, and decrease the travel.
I've heard the time zone, but as 6 divisions or four, never three

brett05

Reaction score
GMF1991 said:
But I do get what you're saying- the NL GAINS more from interleague play. But I don't necessarily think that gives them an advantage in matchups

bosoxlover12 said:
Okay I think I get what youre saying now lol

AL teams should have an advantage offensively throughout the season because they get a DH where the NL does not. I dont disagree at all with that. And therefore AL teams struggle more when they have interleague ganes

I think we were both on the same perspective the whole time, just started at the opposite ends of the argument haha
I appreciate you both even though GMF you are wrong in this one.

Every team has X dollars to spend. (Let's just ignore market sizes for this purpose) They spend it specifically to win.  Each league does this differently and the same.  Both leagues spend money to win the most games with the rules they play the most.  There, both the AL and NL are similar.  And yet, it is done differently.  The NL spends it on 8 batters, a bench, and a pitching staff.  The AL team does all that as well but also has to spend money on a DH, something that the NL does not have to do.  That means the NL team should in theory have a stronger 8/bench/staff than the AL counterpart since they do not have to spend any money on a DH.  That's an advantage.

Now when the NL team is at home do they gain or lose anything in IL play?  Nope.  What about the AL?  They lose a piece of their lineup which gets replaces by a "no-hit" pitcher.  Advantage NL.

Now when the AL team is home do they gain or lose anything in IL play?  Nope.  What about the NL?  They lose a weak hitting pitcher and replace them with one of their bench players.  Advantage is to the NL.  They get a better lineup.

If you want separate rules and not have the NL benefit in IL play, then there needs to be a hold on money spent by NL teams compared to AL teams.  That would help level the playing field.

So while the AL is always at the disadvantage, it just goes to show you how much better the AL is than the NL given IL records thru the years. (20 games over .500 this year, last time the NL won IL was 2003!)  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interleague_play

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
You know what?

Fair enough. Nothing I say will change your opinion. Nothing you say will change my opinion.

Fair enough. I'm moving on.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
If you want separate rules and not have the NL benefit in IL play, then there needs to be a hold on money spent by NL teams compared to AL teams. That would help level the playing field.

So while the AL is always at the disadvantage, it just goes to show you how much better the AL is than the NL given IL records thru the years. (20 games over .500 this year, last time the NL won IL was 2003
That right there makes 0 fucking sense. The AL destroys the NL in interleague play for 14 straight years, so there should be a holds on how much money nl teams spend.

Facts and opinions are different. All you have provided is opinion. You have not presented 1 fact as to why the NL has an advantage. In fact, you provided one fact as to why the AL team's are better in interleague play.

Benefiting from IL play, and having an advantage, are two entirely different things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%