NBA Game Getting Smaller

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
What are y'all's opinion on the NBA game transitioning into a smaller/faster game? Obviously this transition began a couple years ago, but it is very notable this year, with guys like LeBron James and Carmelo Anthony starting at what you would call the "traditional" Power Forward spot, Kevin Garnett and Chris Bosh starting at center, etc.

Obviously this is only for some teams, but it is sure to pick up with teams trying to model the success of the Miami Heat. Are you guys in favor of this transition, or do you prefer the traditional, bigger lineups? Would you like to see your team go small? Etc.

Discuss.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I prefer the traditional center lineup. And that was prior to us drafting Drummond. But I certainly don't want to see our team go small.
While the way the league is going now is exciting, I just prefer the traditional NBA lineup.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
This is something that a few of us have been discussing for two years now. The C position is really just getting phased out of the game.

I think it makes for a quicker and more efficient game, which is what the fans want to see. It also makes one of my favorite parts of the game more enjoyable, the pick and roll game. I also believe "small ball" is a reflection of the players entering the game today. Players like their finger-rolls, or jump shots, more so than your traditional post games and such. Maybe that's caused by the fact that we see a large portion of players coming into the league without the body to properly play in the paint. Also, the level of talent has kind of shifted from the bigs to the wing players.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I prefer the smaller lineups, every time.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
At this time, there aren't as many super talented big men out there, hence why small ball is used.

The closest thing to a freakishly good frontcourt in the league now is Dwight and Gasol in LA, and Pau is a Euro who isn't really much of a bruising PF either.

Like, if you compare the Western Conference 2003 All Star team's starting 5, to an All NBA 2012 team's possible starting 5 (aka Team USA + Dwight), it would be a quite interesting matchup, due to such differences in gameplay

Francis-Bryant-Garnett-Duncan-O'Neal

Paul-Wade-Durant/Melo-James-Howard

The 03 WEST has a significant height advantage at every position, and probably strength as well. 12 NBA has a significant speed advantage at every position except maybe SG.

The NBA has changed from a power game to a speed game, which is why it's all about having PFs be Cs and SFs be PFs.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Okay, say goodbye to BC for a week lol.

The Young One

The Champion
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I think Coach K saw that the game was coming to this a while ago. I prefer having a big men in the paint than a wing trying to play PF.

Rios15

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
A long ass post of nothing
He's making a point lol.

And I mostly would prefer a traditional lineup with a big tall center and power forward but the game is definitely becoming more-fast paced this way and it is not necessarily a bad thing for the game - just makes everything more exciting.

Mavfatha

Green and Yellow Forever
Reaction score
Definitely prefer the traditional center, it just doesn't work for every team and the players they have. Like I can understand why the Heat do what they do, but I'd rather be more like the Lakers (with Lebron at SF haha)

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
i like the newer, faster, smaller game. i still like the traditional game, though.

i really like the idea of what a gmoe/drummond combo can be but i was just saying on realgm that it could actually hinder us, a lot. too much size can still work on offense but on defense it'll give up so much, whereas before it was a good thing.

it'll take time to get all worked out but I still think we'll see some smaller teams and some what would be "normal" teams. no one can just phase out the bigman.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%