Nationals Acquire Denard Span

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
The Nationals announced that they acquired center fielder Denard Span from the Twins for minor league right-hander Alex Meyer. The Twins have confirmed the deal.

Span, 28, provides the Nationals with an established center fielder. His presence will presumably keep Bryce Harper and Jayson Werth in outfield corners. It could also impact the Nationals' interest in Adam LaRoche, since Michael Morse's primary position might now be first base. Alternatively, the Nationals could move Morse to a team seeking offense and continue pursuing LaRoche.

Span posted a .283/.342/.395 batting line in 568 plate appearances with Minnesota in 2012, numbers that compare closely to his career mark of .284/.357/.389. The five-year MLB veteran will earn $4.75MM in 2013 and $6.5MM in 2014. His contract includes a $9MM club option for 2015 with a $500K buyout.

Meyer, the 23rd overall selection of the 2011 draft, pitched well in 2012, his lone season as a pro. He pitched at Class A, posting a 2.86 ERA with 9.7 K/9 and 3.1 BB/9 in 129 innings. The 6'9" 22-year-old might rank sixth among Twins prospects, John Manuel of Baseball America notes (on Twitter).
MLBTR

Rios15

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Good trade by the Nationals. I really like Span; plays the outfield well in my opinion and can hit for a pretty decent average. I'm sure Denard likes this trade too since he's from Washington as well. I guess the Twins are trying to rebuild a bit.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Thank you Nats. No more Span while playing the Twins will be nice lol.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I'm glad they finally traded for him after 15 years of trying

BwareDWare94

Where were you when the world stopped turning?
Reaction score
You don't need to cast away great pieces for minor league pitchers in order to rebuild. Span could have been a Twin Cities icon for years to come, but Terry Ryan is a putz. Fucking traded Ben Revere, too. Moron.

vikesfan

Reaction score
I kind of find it refreshing, we had one of the worst pitching staffs last year. We've got some guys in the minor league that will play just fine in centerfield. I heard we also only have about 70 million that we've spent right now on the cap, which means we can make some moves in free agency.

BwareDWare94

Where were you when the world stopped turning?
Reaction score
I kind of find it refreshing, we had one of the worst pitching staffs last year. We've got some guys in the minor league that will play just fine in centerfield. I heard we also only have about 70 million that we've spent right now on the cap, which means we can make some moves in free agency.
LOL what is the likelihood of that?

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
Aaron Hicks should be just fine in CF this upcoming year and he has potential. Byron Buxton is a ways away but if he lives up to his potential you'll forget that Span and Revere even existed.

vikesfan

Reaction score
Aaron Hicks should be just fine in CF this upcoming year and he has potential. Byron Buxton is a ways away but if he lives up to his potential you'll forget that Span and Revere even existed.
I'm impressed that you know about some of the guys in our farm system. I was thinking the same thing about Hicks. I'm hearing really good things about Buxton

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
I love following prospects regardless of the team. And both Hicks and Buxton are five tool type guys, which is my favorite kind of baseball player

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
agreed with bc. it's not like the prospects they acquired are orgfillers. meyer's upside is pretty high as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%