MLB Weekend Roundup: Labor Day Weekend

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
Welcome to the first of what I hope will be a long-running series here at SI. Each Monday (or in this case Tuesday, since it was a holiday weekend) I will be posting a roundup highlighting the best games, performances, and milestones from the past weekend. I will be doing these for MLB & NFL. So let’s get rolling…

Friday, August 30th

Toronto Blue Jays SS Bo Bichette has been raking since his call-up in late July, and on Friday he added another incredible feat by hitting his 15th double in just 29 games. Joe DiMaggio (16) is the only player to have hit more in his first 30 games.

The Yankees set a MLB record, sending their 29th player to the IL.

Indians’ Tyler Naquin made an incredible catch, though unfortunately tore his ACL in doing so.

Saturday, August 31st

Saturday kicked off a great weekend around the league, with numerous milestones being set.

Twins’ Jorge Polanco became the 8th Twin to hit 20 HRs this season, and the Twins also broke the MLB record for most HRs in a season with 268.

Angels’ Mike Trout became the youngest player to reach 200 stolen bases & 200 Home Runs

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
Sunday, September 1st

We start off with Justin Verlander…

The great Justin Verlander threw his 3rd career no-hitter, striking out 14 Blue Jays in the process. It was also his second no-hitter against Toronto.

Cody Bellinger hit his NL-leading 43rd HR

A few hours later, Pete Alonso answered back

Albert Pujols passed Willie Mays for 5th all-time Extra Base Hits.

Monday, September 2nd

The LA Dodgers hit 7 HRs Monday night, toppling the Rockies 16-9

Oh, and Cody Bellinger hit his MLB-leading 44th HR

The Yankees had an incredible streak going, scoring a run in 220 straight games. THat streak ended Monday night as the Texas Rangers defeated the Yankees 7-0. The Yanks were last shut out on June 30th, 2018 by CHris Sale and the Boston Red Sox.

The Astros' Gerrit Cole followed up Verlander's performance with 14 strikeouts of his own. Cole allowed 1 run on 3 hits and 2 walks over 6 innings in a no-decision.

The NL wild-card race still remains heated. THe Nationals are stitting comfortable with a 3.5 game lead over the Cubs. THe Phillies, Diamondbacks, Mets and Brewers still remain in the hunt. Here are the updated Wild Card standings for both leagues.

al WC.PNGnl WC.PNG

Last edited:

NV

i'm a mad man
Reaction score
This is cool I’ll be following along.

Seems like the Mets have been running out of gas but I would love to see them sneak into the playoffs

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
This is cool I’ll be following along.

Seems like the Mets have been running out of gas but I would love to see them sneak into the playoffs
Glad to hear it. I've thought about it a while, and after all the stuff that went down Saturday and Sunday I figured this was a great time to give it a go. I wanna post more graphics and media and stuff so I'm open to any suggestions on what else I can add, how to style it better, etc.

Teagz

Dogs.
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
This is good, keep it up

catman

Reaction score
It was a great weekend. My minor league team is in the Midwest League playoffs, starting tomorrow evening. I will be there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%