MLB wants to alter strike zone

BrewCrewFan

Reaction score
The Competition Committee has agreed on a motion to raise the lower part of the strike zone to the top of the hitter's knees. The current rule says the bottom part of the zone goes to the hollow beneath the kneecap.

They also agreed to a new intentional walk rule, which basically says a team just verbally issues the intentional walk and the batter takes first base without the four 'balls' being thrown.

The two changes have to be approved by baseball's playing rules committee to go into effect - so this is not a done deal.

Link: http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/15633876/mlb-competition-committee-agrees-changes-strike-zone-intentional-walks

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
Dislike the new IBB rule

Just because it's an intentional walk doesn't mean it should be 100% assured. Whether it's a wild pitch on an awful throw, or Vlad Guerrero still swinging at the ball, it shouldn't be just a given walk. Make them earn the IBB

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
I agree with you on that, there's always a chance something happens on an IBB.

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
I like the strike change because everything was getting called below the knees. So now strikes are just going to get called where they should have originally been called (assuming umps continue to give a low strike zone).

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
bosoxlover12 said:
Dislike the new IBB rule

Just because it's an intentional walk doesn't mean it should be 100% assured. Whether it's a wild pitch on an awful throw, or Vlad Guerrero still swinging at the ball, it shouldn't be just a given walk. Make them earn the IBB

GMF1991 said:
I agree with you on that, there's always a chance something happens on an IBB.
It's at least 99% assured nothing will happen. That obscure 1% occurrence is not worth keeping it. 

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
True, but I don't see this being a big enough of an issue to warrant a change. Is it to speed up the game? Great, you saved at most 60 seconds. That's going to make somebody start watching baseball. 

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
I like the IBB rule change, like cheato said it doesnt happen that often to keep it. This is just Manfred trying to shorten games any way possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
GMF1991 said:
True, but I don't see this being a big enough of an issue to warrant a change. Is it to speed up the game? Great, you saved at most 60 seconds. That's going to make somebody start watching baseball. 
That's a really odd reason to be against it, because it only erases 60 seconds off a game? It's unnecessary, which is reason enough to get rid of it. 

Adebayo

Reaction score
I've always wondered when a guy is getting intentionally walked, could he take the first 3 balls and then "swing" at the next two pitches to try and entice the pitcher to actually pitch to them?

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
i am perfectly fine with awarding the base. if more guys just took a shot at swinging, maybe id be against it. im sure that would be frowned upon and someone would cry for breaking the unwritten rules.

Rios15

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I don't like the new intentional walk rule. Its not even an issue in my eyes

brett05

Reaction score
I dislike the raising of the lower limit on the strike zone.  But if they are going to finally call the high strike I would be much more amicable to it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%