Marvin Lewis Believes in Andy Dalton

Lake Louise

Reaction score
"We ask him to do a lot," Lewis said. "We're comparing him to guys that have been in the league for a long time, and he's doing a lot. Some of them didn't play [as early as] when he played."

Among the opposing quarterbacks Dalton and the Bengals have beaten the past two seasons are Super Bowl winners Ben Roethlisberger, Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, Joe Flacco and Eli Manning. Each of those wins came in the regular season.

When it comes to the postseason, however, Dalton is 0-3 with six interceptions and one touchdown pass, and he has a Total QBR of 17.9.

Big-game struggles aside, the Bengals still feel adequate with Dalton at the helm of the team, Lewis said.

"We'll continue to win big games," Lewis said. "But we're asking a lot out of him. There's no doubt about it.

"I believe in his abilities, I believe in his makeup, I believe in his maturity. And I believe in his ability to let the last play go and move on to the next play. That's probably one of his best attributes of all."

One drive after Dalton's third-quarter fumble led to a Chargers field goal Sunday, Dalton threw an interception off his back foot. On the possession after that, he was intercepted again.

At the end of his three-turnover run, the Bengals trailed only 20-10. In Dalton's eyes, though, that 10-point deficit with 10:28 remaining in the game felt like a 30-point lead for San Diego.

"You've got to know that you're still in the game," Dalton said. "Maybe it's just the atmosphere of the playoffs, but little things seem a lot bigger than they really are.

"You get down two scores, but you still have so much time, but it might feel like you're down three scores or four scores. It's about being able to manage the emotion of the game."

Bengals1Fan

Reaction score
I don't think the city of Cincinnati doesn't believe in Dalton, (Besides the fuckheads who don't get football) We just don't think he's superstar capable. We may have beaten all those quarterbacks in the regular season, but you can't beat Rivers who barely beat the Chiefs backups. I think the city realizes he's no Peyton, or Tom Brady in the post-season. The 6 Interceptions I don't see as a big deal, especially because Houston was demolishing us, and we needed to throw. The 3 against the Chargers are the one's we should not have thrown. And the 25 yard pass into double coverage on 4th and 3 was ridiculous. Even if Green catches that ball, that's a stupid throw to make. You need 3 yards, what makes you think that a 25 yard pass is a good idea unless the guy is wide open? I don't necessarily think we need to replace Dalton or Lewis. I think they need to step up their playoff play. We can go 16-0 but if we get demolished after the bye week then who cares? 

Just my two cents.

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
Bengals1fan said:
I don't think the city of Cincinnati doesn't believe in Dalton, (Besides the fuckheads who don't get football) We just don't think he's superstar capable. We may have beaten all those quarterbacks in the regular season, but you can't beat Rivers who barely beat the Chiefs backups. I think the city realizes he's no Peyton, or Tom Brady in the post-season. The 6 Interceptions I don't see as a big deal, especially because Houston was demolishing us, and we needed to throw. The 3 against the Chargers are the one's we should not have thrown. And the 25 yard pass into double coverage on 4th and 3 was ridiculous. Even if Green catches that ball, that's a stupid throw to make. You need 3 yards, what makes you think that a 25 yard pass is a good idea unless the guy is wide open? I don't necessarily think we need to replace Dalton or Lewis. I think they need to step up their playoff play. We can go 16-0 but if we get demolished after the bye week then who cares? 

Just my two cents.

So how many more years are we going to give Marvin to step up his playoff play? 11 more years? He couldn't do it with Carson Palmer either. I don't understand your "we can go 16-0 but if we get demolished after the bye then who cares?" You are fine with not winning a super bowl? It's unacceptable to me. Hate everything about losing. But that's the way this organization operates, they don't care about winning. Mike Brown loves that you people settle for mediocrity. You can't keep a coach for 11 years with no playoff wins and tell me they are committed to winning. He puts his loyalty and friendship before winning. That is not how the NFL is suppose to work. I want more and some are more than fine with this failed season, sad. 

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I think Marvin Lewis is a fine coach. I just don't think Dalton has it in him to take a team to the Super Bowl. Really isn't Marvin's fault. 

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
he is a fine coach but i totally agree with dustin.

at some point you need to sit back and really ask yourself if the coach is the one who isnt helping take the talent to the next level.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Dalton just doesn't have the talent though. 

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
neither does marvin.

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
RipCity32 said:
I think Marvin Lewis is a fine coach. I just don't think Dalton has it in him to take a team to the Super Bowl. Really isn't Marvin's fault. 

What's his excuse for the previous 8 years with Carson Palmer? He has one of the most talented teams in the league and yet the team isn't ready to play in big moments. I've seen the same thing and heard the same thing for 11 years now and then the next year comes and the same thing happens and they are saying the same thing. You cannot keep a coach for 11 years that has no playoff wins and expect the next year to be different. His voice and direction is getting stale and one of the reasons I believe this team can't get over the hump is because the team has accepted his mentality. How long would Marvin Lewis last on any other team when his team doesn't perform come playoff time? In primetime games under Lewis this team is 6-13 and if you count playoffs, 6-18. You got a guy like Mike Zimmer deserving of a head coaching position and here they are going to lose him and keep a guy that has had 11 years and hasn't been able to take the team to the next step. It's his job to get the most out of the team and to find a way around the weaknesses. To blame it all on the QB isn't it even though he deserves his fair share of blame. The team I seen on Sunday was a Lewis coached team that I've seen over and over again. Flat, unprepared, constant turnovers, soft. Once again, out coached and outplayed. A defense that was 5th against the run gave up close to 200 rushing yards. The offensive line got manhandled, the defensive line got manhandled. I read an article saying Marvin is the fourth best coach on the team behind Mike Zimmer, Jay Gruden, Hue Jackson and he's the head coach.  

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Is a different coach with Dalton better than Marvin + a better QB?

To me, the Bengals would fair better with option 2. 

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
RipCity32 said:
Is a different coach with Dalton better than Marvin + a better QB?

To me, the Bengals would fair better with option 2. 

Marvin Lewis "Andy Dalton is this team, he's our QB going forward"

Plus, if a new coach came in I'd almost bet he'd want his own QB. Dalton would be done. Marvin would be done. So I'll go with option 1. 

Is there anything you have to do to change? “Probably so.”
For example … “If I tell you then it won’t work right. I think we all have to get better. It’s a constant. You’re throw that question up there and I’m not going to answer it that any other way. I hope I gave you the answer you’re looking for.”
In 11 years you’ve accomplished a lot with this franchise. Do you believe you are the guy that can get it to the next level? “Yes, I believe so. Is there a better answer for that?”
What gives you faith you are that guy? “I’m the guy in the seat. So, we’ll be fine. Today sucks. We’ll be better. We’ll be all right.”
NFL coaching jobs are difficult to keep. What is it about here you think might be different, to progress and have more time? Is this a unique situation?
 “No, I don’t think it’s a unique situation. I think we’ve been in a unique area where we’ve continued to progress and do things. We continue to move forward. Yesterday we lost a playoff game we all thought we would win. We didn’t win it. I don’t think the situation is unique at all. I think if the other places were in the situation they were in, and lost the playoff game after winning the division, their head coach would be in place. Don’t you?”

All I can do is read that and shake my head.. Actually I'd rather do this 

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I'm not saying it would happen, just a hypothetical scenario. I think with a better QB there is no doubt the Bengals are still alive. And probably a legit Super Bowl contender.

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
RipCity32 said:
I'm not saying it would happen, just a hypothetical scenario. I think with a better QB there is no doubt the Bengals are still alive. And probably a legit Super Bowl contender.

How is that going to get achieved when the head coach believes in the QB? He sure better hope he turns it around next year or he's done for believing in him. Last year of his contract and with the teams they play next season - Steelers x2, Ravens x2, Browns x2, Falcons, Bucs, Panthers, Saints, Broncos, Texans, Colts, Patriots

He's done after next year with that schedule, no fricken way they win the division or make the playoffs. At least we'll have a top 5 pick in the following draft with a new head coach and will be in prime position to get a franchise QB. I can already see the writing on the wall

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Forget Andy Dalton completely lol. Imagine he was released. That's what I'm saying. 

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
RipCity32 said:
Forget Andy Dalton completely lol. Imagine he was released. That's what I'm saying. 

I just have a hard time imagining that when I know he won't be going anywhere. Who is better anyway? Who can they pick up or draft that will be an upgrade year 1? They sure won't trade up and give up everything to get a guy like Manziel. 

BwareDWare94

Where were you when the world stopped turning?
Reaction score
Dalton is a decent QB with the capacity to get better. Cincy's entire offense shit the bed on Sunday, and the game's changing play had nothing to do with Dalton and everything to do with a rookie RB making a rookie mistake. It happens. This team is going to be really good for a really long time if they don't ditch Dalton, and he'll get some playoff wins, eventually.

The NFL is too reactive, these days. Nobody can develop or get better, anymore.

They need to fire Marvin and hire Zimmer, though. 

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
BwareDWare94 said:
Dalton is a decent QB with the capacity to get better. Cincy's entire offense shit the bed on Sunday, and the game's changing play had nothing to do with Dalton and everything to do with a rookie RB making a rookie mistake. It happens. This team is going to be really good for a really long time if they don't ditch Dalton, and he'll get some playoff wins, eventually.

The NFL is too reactive, these days. Nobody can develop or get better, anymore.

They need to fire Marvin and hire Zimmer, though. 

It's not gonna happen though so I've been trying to move on. It is not going to happen. I've got to accept it and move on and hope Marvin proves me wrong..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%