Lions to work out Ryan Grant, Steve Slaton, report says

Lake Louise

Reaction score
The Detroit Lions continue to search for a more compelling mix in the backfield.
Jason La Canfora of CBSSports.com reported Monday that free agents Ryan Grant and Steve Slaton will work out for the team this week.

The Lions leaned heavily on Kevin Smith through the first two weeks of the season, but with Mikel Leshoure on his way back from suspension, the workload is about to shift toward a committee approach.

Grant spent the past five seasons with the Green Bay Packers before the team cut ties with him in the offseason. Following a pair of 1,000-yard campaigns in 2008 and 2009, Grant spent 2010 on injured reserve before pumping out 559 yards in Green Bay last season.

Slaton started 26 games with the Houston Texans from 2008 to 2010 before injuries and the rise of Arian Foster and Ben Tate sent him tumbling down the depth chart. Slaton spent three games with the Texans last season before a brief stint with the Miami Dolphins led to his exit from the league.

Detroit's passing game appears as dangerous as ever, but defenses don't fear this running game, ranked 26th in the league. Grant and Slaton are stopgap types, and probably not an upgrade over Smith, but Detroit's search for a spark wages on.
We've been flirting with the idea of having Grant since the offseason. I wouldn't be against having either him or Slaton given the chance, because we need to fix that lack of run game. We tried to get it going a lot last night, and it really didn't go much for us. Plus, Leshoure is going to be back for Week 3, but that will be his first regular season NFL game, so that is a lot of uncertainty.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
we need either or. we need secondary more.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Cut Bell and Williams. Keep Smith and Leshoure and bring in one of these two. I want to see Leshoure start though.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I'd much rather have Grant though. Slaton is doodoo.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I'm shocked that Grant isn't on a NFL roster.

Lake Louise

Reaction score
Cut Bell and Williams. Keep Smith and Leshoure and bring in one of these two. I want to see Leshoure start though.
That's what I'd like to see. Need to see how Leshoure does to really see what we have, because we really don't know. Bell & Williams are really just taking up roster spots, and I'd prefer to see Grant or Slaton on the depth chart over them. Preferably Grant.

Lake Louise

Reaction score
I'm shocked that Grant isn't on a NFL roster.
So am I. I think getting him would be a steal. I mean, he was the main man in GB just a couple years ago, just had those injury issues. I'd gladly take him.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
any word on how these workouts went?

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Yep. They have no plans to sign either I guess. Plan to give Leshoure and Bell a bigger role. They did them basically just incase we take another injury to RB. They are our backup I guess.

Lake Louise

Reaction score
I guess we will see how that goes. I mean, doesn't seem to be an urgency to sign either because they are still around now, chances are if/when another RB injury happens, they'll still be around. That and I guess they have a lot of faith in Leshoure and his abilities, who was a workhouse for Illinois. Bell did have a nice 50 yard catch, against the 49ers. He showed some alright speed there, so maybe he's going to be like our water-down version of Best. Just don't feel as confident with Bell running it.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
i really dont expect much from our running game then.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I wanna see what Leshoure can do first anyways.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
hes not going to do much, we need a veteran backup.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
he kinda is a bad option.

.loggie

Reaction score
not sure i like any of these guys. kevin smith is a serviceable back-up to have on the roster but it would have been pretty amazing to have a little smash and dash action between leshoure and best. i don't think leshoure will be able to carry the load on his own and i'm not a huge fan of joique bell.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
IDK. I like the way Leshoure runs the ball. I think we can manage with Leshoure-Smith-Bell for now. Don't think Grant or Slaton would be an upgrade to be honest. They would have signed one most likely if they thought they would be. Best should be ready to play when he gets off the PUP list.

Lake Louise

Reaction score
I like how Leshoure runs too, and either way we weren't going to have much or a run game going. Didn't have much of one last year, and I think we can survive with what we have again. I'm anxious to have Best come back, because the combo of Leshoure-Best would be great to have, but right now it's Leshoure-Smith-Bell, and I can live with that, for the short term.

.infamous

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Best was taken off the pup list rip i think.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%