lakerfan's suggestion in the suggestion box

Status
Not open for further replies.

lakerfan

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
well, seriously, here's a tip.

on the site, at any given time, there about 10- a significant number- guests browsing the site.
sometimes, they very well outnumber the number of active members on the boards.

Admins, please, please, please find a way to get them to register, find some hook there, instead of the look of the site. this should be the priority.
they look at our threads, they browse through posts, these are people that are already interested in our product, but need that last step towards becoming active members.

I don't care if it's like a sign on the front page, or the ability for them to post without registering to convice them, but do something for them to be regular members...it's a no-brainer to me.

MapleLeaf

Squirtle Squirt!
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I think many are people who like are searching on google, and now that we haven IPB, we are more likely to be seen on google and stuff.

But I'm probably wrong, as homosexuals are wrong in life and really dont deserve to live and opinions are irrelevant to a discussion.

lakerfan

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I think many are people who like are searching on google, and now that we haven IPB, we are more likely to be seen on google and stuff.
which is why we should take advantage of that...

CB4_Raps

SI's Bad Boy
Reaction score
I wouldn't be keen on joining if I seen the lack of quality discussion here compared to other forums either. Hopefully something productive is done soon.

jarrod2323

The Godfather
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
actually, most are spambots searching to find a spot to post -- i'm having to delete around 10-12 spambots per day trying to gain registration.

how do I know? cuz they're emails either are a solicitation site of some kind or a foreign host.

as for the the lack of quality discussion - i'm getting sick of hearing that..
especially, when there's a couple of threads that have been getting posts daily

as for newer members -- i want good members, not just new ones.. .and, since the complaining is about "quality" posts, i would assume the same thing is felt by others.

also, to make this site better or improved doesn't isn't on the admins' shoulders. it's on the members themselves.
I could go back to making 100 posts a day, but unless other members do it, it won't go anywhere..
so, I call onto the members to look upon themselves and see if they are contributing enough to the site.
cuz, last time I checked, no one is doing anywhere from 50-100 posts a day

nelsogotskillz

Reaction score
broncos59 or whatever his name is was talking about a front page i believe. I'm not sure what people are currently capable of viewing as a guest. Can they see the NBA Live Caps? Can they see the GFX area?

CB4_Raps

SI's Bad Boy
Reaction score
actually, most are spambots searching to find a spot to post -- i'm having to delete around 10-12 spambots per day trying to gain registration.

how do I know? cuz they're emails either are a solicitation site of some kind or a foreign host.

as for the the lack of quality discussion - i'm getting sick of hearing that..
especially, when there's a couple of threads that have been getting posts daily

as for newer members -- i want good members, not just new ones.. .and, since the complaining is about "quality" posts, i would assume the same thing is felt by others.

also, to make this site better or improved doesn't isn't on the admins' shoulders. it's on the members themselves.
I could go back to making 100 posts a day, but unless other members do it, it won't go anywhere..
so, I call onto the members to look upon themselves and see if they are contributing enough to the site.
cuz, last time I checked, no one is doing anywhere from 50-100 posts a day
Nice job, so everyone else has to post in the hundreds so that you bother yourself to post aswell?

How does that work?

And to be honest, I don't care if you're sick of me talking about how there's a lack of quality discussion, it's something that is making this forum worse than it should be. The potential is there for this forum to be successful in the way that it's meant to be(quality sports discussion) yet it's not reaching it.

Perhaps if you actually showed that you wanted to confront these problems rather than moan at me because I keep bringing them up, we'd get somewhere and make this forum better. But until you do that, this forum is just gonna stay the same, with the odd decent post in the sports forum a day while other forums get cluttered with posts with no bearing on the actual genre or meaning of this board.

I'm curious(if you don't mind me asking), but when was the last time the admins had a chat about improving this forum?

Or are you waiting for the members to step up, even though it's clear that only a handful are willing to do that?

CB4_Raps

SI's Bad Boy
Reaction score
broncos59 or whatever his name is was talking about a front page i believe. I'm not sure what people are currently capable of viewing as a guest. Can they see the NBA Live Caps? Can they see the GFX area?
Most people sign up just to request caps and then leave. Which sucks.

jarrod2323

The Godfather
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
no, i hear that they want to step up -- but don't == they keep moaning.

I'm one of the first members on the board - seen these similar problems occur then disappear... seen the same moaning come and disappear.. but, guess what -- SI is still here.. still gets quite alot of posts a day.. and, with summer break now here, will get better again.

honestly, there isn't a problem with the board. this is just a typical slowdown that will rise again.

and maybe if you were to confront the problems and quit moaning about them, other members would see your sincerity in improving the site and not just a <Censored>-session

and this site's niche is CAPs/EDITs -- always has been.. the sports community is 2nd to that for new members....

CB4_Raps

SI's Bad Boy
Reaction score
no, i hear that they want to step up -- but don't == they keep moaning.

I'm one of the first members on the board - seen these similar problems occur then disappear... seen the same moaning come and disappear.. but, guess what -- SI is still here.. still gets quite alot of posts a day.. and, with summer break now here, will get better again.

honestly, there isn't a problem with the board. this is just a typical slowdown that will rise again.

and maybe if you were to confront the problems and quit moaning about them, other members would see your sincerity in improving the site and not just a <Censored>-session

and this site's niche is CAPs/EDITs -- always has been.. the sports community is 2nd to that for new members....
I do confront the problems, I'm normally one of about 5 members who actually post stuff in the sports forum which is meaningless.

If I didn't confront these problems, why would I be such a hypocrite to point them out if I was at fault too?

We had spring break too, where was the activity? :blink:

Super, SI gets quite a lot of posts a day.

Is that your advertisement for spamming?

Because I can run up 100 or so posts, posting nonsense if it makes you feel happy that we have an 'active forum'.

Just tell me if that's what you're hinting at and I'll be glad to do that.

jarrod2323

The Godfather
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
post however you feel comfortable - that's the message I'm sending out.

if you want to contribute to the board and post -- great
if you don't like the way the board is heading and don't wanna post -- leave

but, your more memorable posts of late are multiple gripse sessions, not constructive sports discussion. we got your point and suggestion the first time.

CB4_Raps

SI's Bad Boy
Reaction score
post however you feel comfortable - that's the message I'm sending out.

if you want to contribute to the board and post -- great
if you don't like the way the board is heading and don't wanna post -- leave

but, your more memorable posts of late are multiple gripse sessions, not constructive sports discussion. we got your point and suggestion the first time.
You've got my point and suggestion yet have done absolutely nothing about it except tell me to leave if I don't like the way the board is heading.

Well done. Thanks for the lack of consideration.

jarrod2323

The Godfather
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
your point is taken in..
laker's is taken in..

though, I really shouldn't have to explain this---
there are SEVERAL admins.. to get them together at one time to discuss is nearly impossible, but has to be set in advance.
when a time is set, all things will be discussed and decided upon.. probably starting with new staff to garnish some improvement in individual threads.

your pts system was considered - I discussed that with you, but haven't relayed to all the other admins.. SOOOOOOOOOOO... to say "have done absolutely nothing about it" is wrong and just a subtle way to cry for attention.

CB4_Raps

SI's Bad Boy
Reaction score
your point is taken in..
laker's is taken in..

though, I really shouldn't have to explain this---
there are SEVERAL admins.. to get them together at one time to discuss is nearly impossible, but has to be set in advance.
when a time is set, all things will be discussed and decided upon.. probably starting with new staff to garnish some improvement in individual threads.

your pts system was considered - I discussed that with you, but haven't relayed to all the other admins.. SOOOOOOOOOOO... to say "have done absolutely nothing about it" is wrong and just a subtle way to cry for attention.
You've got an admin lounge, you can discuss it there, no?

lakerfan

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score

Do it [as far as posting in the sports sections]. It's what the site needs, and quite frankly, what we have been reiterating over and over and over again.

And I'm being completely serious.

Because I don't know if your trying to be purposely oblivious to the fact that there are little to no comments in the sports discussion, or if you just don't see it... but it's obvious to me, and I honestly can't believe how it isn't obvious to you.

well, as far as suggestions are concerned, here it is, one more time:

Please, make the primary threads in the sports sections more active.

Once again, it feels as if you are seeing this as almost a punishment, a reprimend, but it's not.
It's a legitimate concern.

Honestly, do you personally see the amount of posting in the sports threads as adequate?

CB4_Raps

SI's Bad Boy
Reaction score
Do it [as far as posting in the sports sections]. It's what the site needs, and quite frankly, what we have been reiterating over and over and over again.

And I'm being completely serious.

Because I don't know if your trying to be purposely oblivious to the fact that there are little to no comments in the sports discussion, or if you just don't see it... but it's obvious to me, and I honestly can't believe how it isn't obvious to you.

well, as far as suggestions are concerned, here it is, one more time:

Please, make the primary threads in the sports sections more active.

Once again, it feels as if you are seeing this as almost a punishment, a reprimend, but it's not.
It's a legitimate concern.

Honestly, do you personally see the amount of posting in the sports threads as adequate?
Of course not, but as long as people are having fun elsewhere, what the hell? Who cares?

jarrod2323

The Godfather
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
no, but you can't force people to post there... .the ones that used to debate/discuss there have stopped or left due to personal reasons.

to actually get better posting from the active members, you first must analyze those that are active and what interests them.. for one - seems like we have more hockey-loving fans - and I for one know nothing about the sport and cannot lend anything to that discussion.

I posted the Rashard Lewis thread and it's been one of the most active the last couple of days.. I only post when I feel I can make a contributing post - not just a "YEAH" thread that's been shunned as of late..
and, honestly, I don't have time to post 100 times a day with my new work requirements, and me wanting to be a good father to my 3yr old daughter.
not to mention that other aspects are looked upon me from the board - like the sim league and other behind-the-scene admin duties.

what we need more then anything is very active and contributing members, not admins to do everything... like i said, it's not us that makes a difference, it's the members.

I feel a new staff might actually be the first priority -- finding members who have a particular interest in a section and has ideas on how to improve that specific section..

just gotta get all the admins together to figure something out

lakerfan

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
no, but you can't force people to post there... .the ones that used to debate/discuss there have stopped or left due to personal reasons.

to actually get better posting from the active members, you first must analyze those that are active and what interests them.. for one - seems like we have more hockey-loving fans - and I for one know nothing about the sport and cannot lend anything to that discussion.

I posted the Rashard Lewis thread and it's been one of the most active the last couple of days.. I only post when I feel I can make a contributing post - not just a "YEAH" thread that's been shunned as of late..
and, honestly, I don't have time to post 100 times a day with my new work requirements, and me wanting to be a good father to my 3yr old daughter.
not to mention that other aspects are looked upon me from the board - like the sim league and other behind-the-scene admin duties.

what we need more then anything is very active and contributing members, not admins to do everything... like i said, it's not us that makes a difference, it's the members.

I feel a new staff might actually be the first priority -- finding members who have a particular interest in a section and has ideas on how to improve that specific section..

and I don't think I said you should force people there, please don't put words in my mouth...
what I'm asking is for you to promote posting in the sections, which you have painfully denied to do so for god knows whatever reason.

you have this "laizze faire" mindset where, really there should be no direction by staff, yet, in theory, I thought the staffs positions on the board were to push for discussion, i.e SPORTS discusion on a board that is "supposed to focus" on sports discussion.

I remember asking whether you thought, personally, there were an adequate amount of posts in the sports sections...again, you failed to answer.

as far as the rashard lewis post, that's all fine and dandy...but when it's the same people posting day after day after day, it's repeitive, and the failire to do something about it, again, it's kind of painful.

and as far as staff is concerned, please, for the love of god, I plead for you to pick wisely...some choices simply, they simply don't make sense. again, not an effort to throw you under the bus, but I do hope you are serious when you say that.

CB4_Raps

SI's Bad Boy
Reaction score

The fact is, the admin don't do everything. Don't flatter yourself by acting like you've done everything around here and the work others have put in has been non existant.

You fail to understand that a homepage, a skin and a gfx gallery are not gonna make this forum's discussion better.

I'm sure you know the phrase 'don't judge a book by it's cover'.

Well I for one will take a board which looks like <Censored> but has quality and intelligent discussion than a forum that prizes itself on looking good with the intelligent discussion being almost non existant in some cases.
If you don't feel the same way, then we're on totally different wavelengths.

You continue to act like myself and Manny have done nothing in terms of trying to get intelligent chat flowing in here, and instead we've only been <Censored> about the forum.

Give me a break, you made 3 posts in the Rashard Lewis thread yet took credit for the discussion in it?

Sorry, but how can you take sole credit for that when Manny posted 23 times in that thread and DJT posted 13 times?
They contributed to the discussion the most, therefore credit should go to them.

It's very easy to make a thread and try and take credit for it having quality discussion when you've barely contributed to it. But don't expect people to buy that especially when it was obvious who really made it into a discussion.

If you don't have time to post 100 times, then why not take your own advice and don't post at all? I mean, you've got a kid and I'm pretty sure you enjoy spending time with them rather than posting on a forum. So do what you want, don't think I'm forcing you to post 100 times on here, because I'm not.

You make the choices for yourself, not me.

Do what you want, but I do find it ironic that you list all of that and then tell me that I'm looking for sympathy.

Irony at it's absolute finest.

And finally, you say 'keep it up' and all that stuff, let me remind you of something.

We're currently in the contact us thread, which I believe states this:

If you have any questions or suggestions feel free to post them here and we'd be glad to help.
If you don't want constructive criticism on how to improve the board, then don't ask for it.

Change that text to something which states that you can't state any suggestions if it is construed as <Censored> by the admin.

Am I allowed to suggest that you put up rules or is that also construed as <Censored>? I'm being serious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%