Jon Beason traded to N.Y. Giants, pending physical

Big Bid'Ness

4 Life
Hall of Fame
Reaction score

Two weeks after benching Jon Beason, the Carolina Panthers are on the verge of a trade with a team that has a need at linebacker.

The Panthers have agreed to a trade that would send Beason to the New York Giants in exchange for a late-round draft pick, a source informed of the process told NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport. The deal is contingent on Beason passing a Friday physical, which is no certainty considering his checkered injury history.

Jay Glazer of Fox Sports initially reported the trade scenario.

It makes sense that the two teams would connect on a trade, as Panthers general manager Dave Gettleman worked with Giants general manager Jerry Reese for years in the Big Apple.

After splitting time evenly with Chase Blackburn in the Panthers' first two games this season, Beason played just one snap in the third game. It's ironic that he's been replaced by a player the Giants allowed to walk in free agency.

Although Beason started all 64 games while earning three Pro Bowl selections from 2007 to 2010, he has played just seven games since tearing his Achilles tendon in the 2011 season opener.

Beason's primary problem is that he has been a liability in coverage while regaining confidence in a knee that was surgically repaired in 2012.
T
he Giants will gamble that he can return to form and provide an upgrade at one of the linebacker spots. Regardless, this isn't the kind of trade that will reverse the fortunes of an 0-4 team allowing the most points in the NFL at the quarter-season mark.

Fuhgeddaboudit

Reaction score
And yeah, not for Nicks haha... Late pick. Can he play offensive line??

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
He's really fallen off with all the injuries. Given how he is in the last year of his contract I'm not sure how anyone thought Nicks would be involved.

Fuhgeddaboudit

Reaction score
I think Blackburn beat this guy out too, which is kind of sad....I think Reese has an issue evaluating Linebackers.

youngguru

V͎͡Ị̠̳SI͉ƠN̡
Reaction score
Decent move for both teams. Panthers get him off their books contract wise, Giants take a low risk for the possibility of a high reward

VC15

Reaction score
The only reason that Beason didn't start for them, is because Kuechly forced him out of position. This is a good move, and at least the FO still cares about this season.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Beason has been a OLB for a few seasons.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
His main issue also is dropping in to coverage. He's still protective of that knee which is fine with me. I'd rather have him work that knee back this year and have him at full strength next season. always liked this guy so I really hope he's even 50% of what he used to be. 

VC15

Reaction score
Wasn't Davis the one with the knee problems?

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
oh right it was the achilles. I don't know why I thought he had a knee injury. 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%