Johnny Manziel to be Cut by the Cleveland Browns

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score

CLEVELAND, Ohio --- Texas police searched for Johnny Manziel with a helicopter early Saturday morning and investigating allegations that he assaulted his ex-girlfriend.

According to a statement by the Forth Worth police, they used their Air One Unit helicopter to try to find Manziel because the female -- who told police Manziel was her ex-boyfriend -- was worried about his well-being.

They tried several of his cell phone numbers and checked locations around the Forth Worth area, but couldn't find him. It was later determined that he was safe and in no danger.

But police in Fort Worth and Dallas are still working together to determine if Manziel assaulted the female. Dallas police said in a statement that they're in the preliminary stages of the investigation and that they'll have no further information at this time.

"When additional information becomes available it will be released as appropriate,'' they said.
It's the second time Manziel is being investigated for possible domestic violence. The first time was Oct. 13 when he was involved with an argument on Interstate 90 with his then-girlfriend Colleen Crowley, which then spilled over to the side of the road in Avon, Ohio. Crowley told police that Manziel beat her and shoved her head into the glass of the car, but later said he didn't hurt her.

Neither Manziel nor Crowley, who was drunk at the time of the questioning, were arrested for the incident. Manziel was also later cleared by the NFL of harming Crowley.
In this instance, Fort Worth police were called to The Berkeley Apartments near Texas Christian University -- where Crowley is a student -- regarding a report of a possible assault. They didn't locate the caller, but came across a 23-year-old woman who said she been involved in a disturbance with her ex-boyfriend earlier that night in Dallas and possibly other locations.

Police found the female to be uncooperative, and therefore couldn't determine where the incident took place. They notified the Dallas police of a possible disturbance in that area.

The woman then told police she was worried about Manziel's well-being, and they launched the search for him, breaking out the helicopter when they couldn't reach him by phone or by land. After determining that Manziel was safe, they began collaborating with the Dallas police on whether or not he had assaulted the female.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello told cleveland.com of the incident "we are aware and looking into it.''

The Browns and Manziel's publicist Denise Michaels declined comment. Manziel's agent, Erik Burkhardt, did not return a text seeking comment.

Last year at this time, Manziel checked himself into an addiction treatment center, where he remained for 73 days for an unspecified issue. Since his release in April, he's frequently turned up on social media with bottles of alcohol in hand.

Sources have told cleveland.com that they've been extremely worried about Manziel's behavior for months.

This latest incident also comes two months after Manziel was cleared by the NFL of harming Crowley during the Oct. 13 incident.

The league -- which conducts its own investigations into possible domestic violence cases regardless of whether or not one of its own has been arrested -- brought in its heavy hitter, investigator Lisa Friel, to interview Manziel Oct. 28 at the Browns' facility in Berea. He was represented by NFLPA attorney Heather McPhee, who helped overturn Ray Rice's indefinite ban by the NFL for his domestic incident.

The NFL also interviewed Crowley and the Avon Police before deciding not to suspend him.

"Based on the information gathered, we have concluded that there is an insufficient basis on which to take disciplinary action,'' the NFL said in a statement. "In all cases of this nature, our concern under the Personal Conduct Policy goes well beyond the issue of discipline, and we have made comprehensive professional resources available on a confidential basis.''

Upon being cleared -- the same day he was named the starter for the final six games of the season --  Manziel issued a statement saying that league's decision should put to rest any thoughts that he had hurt Crowley.

"I appreciate the NFL's  diligence and discretion in reviewing a situation that was both personal and embarrassing,'' Manziel said. "Colleen and I cooperated fully with the NFL's process and completely support their goals of making sure that every family under their umbrella is safer and more secure.

"I'm grateful that the review was so thorough and fair that there should be no question left in the public mind about what actually happened.''

He also vowed shortly thereafter that he would no longer generate negative headlines -- especially over the bye week in late November.

However, the Crowley incident kicked off a string of transgressions that has the club seriously contemplating parting with him as soon as possible."I let (coach Mike Pettine)  know that I'm not going to do anything that's going to be a distraction to this team or be an embarrassment to the organization,'' he said. "I'm going to get a chance to go and relax like everybody else in this locker room is. I don't think they're going to have to worry about me this week."

Manziel can be waived Feb. 8 and traded March 9 at 4 p.m.

Over the bye week, Manziel partied night after night and then lied to the coaches about it. As a result, he lost his starting job and was initially demoted to third string.

He ultimately got his job back for the final four games of the season, but continued to be photographed and videotaped out partying.

Finally, the Wednesday before the season finale, he came to Berea complaining of concussion symptoms and was ruled out of the season-ending loss to Pittsburgh on Thursday with a concussion. But that didn't stop him from going to Las Vegas the Saturday before the game, where USA TODAY Sports reported that he wore a blond wig and fake mustache to disguise himself. He also introduced himself as Billy.

Manziel missed his concussion treatment the day of the season finale and was fined by the Browns. When he showed up the next day, the Browns gave him the cold shoulder, league sources said. That day, Jimmy Haslam and Executive Vice President of Football Operations Sashi Brown addressed the team about Pettine's firing. They didn't have the time -- or the desire -- to deal with Manziel.

Sources told cleveland.com shortly after Hue Jackson was hired that he would not want to move forward with Manziel as his starting quarterback. Jackson also said during a radio interview that Manziel going to Vegas for the season-finale would say 'non-starter' to him.

This week at the Senior Bowl, Brown told cleveland.com that Manziel "has a chance'' to be with the team next year but that he needs to demonstrate that football is the most important thing in his life.

Sources told cleveland.com that Manziel was "a train wreck'' as the season wore on.

Browns owner Jimmy Haslam said Thursday night at the Greater Cleveland Sports Awards that the relationship could be repaired.

That was, of course, before this latest incident involving the troubled quarterback.
But Pettine just needs to let him live his life though, right? 

Teagz

Dogs.
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
He's done. The eventual 30 for 30 should be interesting.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
several of his cell phone numbers. hes the drug cartel.

Shaggy

Staff member
ADMIN
Reaction score
Cleveland should just cut him now.  Amazing how he could ruin everything.  I guess it doesn't matter to him when he has parents with money that will always bail him out.

Sportsguy9695

Reaction score
as much as I love johnny football he just seems he cant ever stay out of trouble. your right his 30 for 30 should be intresting

Shaggy

Staff member
ADMIN
Reaction score
Sportsguy9695 said:
as much as I love johnny football he just seems he cant ever stay out of trouble. your right his 30 for 30 should be intresting

I'd watch!  Have they ever done one for Ryan Leaf?  If they have, I need to find it!

H-MYK

Reaction score
I feel so sorry for Browns fans. It's bad enough your team has had a lousy record the past 5+ years but when someone who's supposed to be carrying the team out of the hole and into a promising future is not taking the job seriously, it's becoming a mess. If you're not going to take the role seriously and instead party your drunken ass off, then I don't want you on my team.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I'd like bosox and CC's thoughts on this.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
H-MYK said:
I feel so sorry for Browns fans. It's bad enough your team has had a lousy record the past 5+ years but when someone who's supposed to be carrying the team out of the hole and into a promising future is not taking the job seriously, it's becoming a mess. If you're not going to take the role seriously and instead party your drunken ass off, then I don't want you on my team.
id like cheatos thoughts on this.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I agree with her, I'm just talking about bosox and CC who were adamant that Pettine and the Browns just need to "let Manziel live", despite a pattern of reckless behavior, and an addiction.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
hes gonna be released at the start of free agency

Big Bid'Ness

4 Life
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Now we have to hear about Cowboys fan wanting him in Dallas now.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Which one of you ninnies changed my topic title 

Shaggy

Staff member
ADMIN
Reaction score
Big Bid'Ness said:
Now we have to hear about Cowboys fan wanting him in Dallas now.

I know JJ is strange, but I don't think he will sign him.  What team would want to risk that?  If its a no risk signing, sure, I guess, but whatever problems Manziel has, I don't think they will be going away anytime soon.

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I'm wondering how this whole situation would have been handled if Manziel didn't suck.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
his agent left him. charges won't be filed but he was under the influence of drugs according to his gf and his father now says if he keeps this up he'll be dead by his 24th bday.

JJ94

Reaction score
Papa Pugzo said:
his agent left him. charges won't be filed but he was under the influence of drugs according to his gf and his father now says if he keeps this up he'll be dead by his 24th bday.

Manziel's Dad says he declined going to rehab on two occasions this past week also.

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/texasamaggies/2016/02/05/johnny-manziels-father-son-get-help-qb-live-see-24th-birthday

His story is starting to look grim in a non-sporting way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%