Jeter, A-Rod to skip All-Star Game

NV

i'm a mad man
Reaction score
NEW YORK -- The left side of the Yankees' infield will sit out for the July 12 All-Star Game, as Derek Jeter and Alex Rodriguez have informed Major League Baseball that they will be unable to participate.

Jeter said that he is concerned about re-injuring his right calf, which cost him three weeks and delayed his pursuit of 3,000 hits. Rodriguez has been bothered since June 19 by a sore right knee and was sent by the team to have a MRI examination on Friday.

Jeter said that he had reached a decision after speaking with manager Joe Girardi, general manager Brian Cashman and head athletic trainer Gene Monahan.

"It's just a situation where, after talking with Joe and Cash and Geno, it'd probably be best not to try to push it," Jeter said. "It's most important to be ready for the second half. That's where my focus has to be."

Jeter said that he will not travel to Phoenix during the All-Star break. Asdrubal Cabrera of the Indians was a player-elected reserve and could start for the American League in Jeter's place.

"It's unfortunate because you guys know how much I enjoy going to All-Star Games," said Jeter, a 12-time All-Star. "I love playing in All-Star Games, especially getting voted in by the fans. It's something I would like to do.

"I'm trying to be smart about it. I know I can be stubborn a lot of times when it comes to injuries, but I'm trying to be smart about it."

The Texas Rangers' Adrian Beltre could be in line to start for the AL in place of Rodriguez, a 14-time All-Star.

Jeter and Rodriguez are the second and third Yankees players to announce that he will not attend the 82nd Midsummer Classic, following closer Mariano Rivera, who said that a sore right triceps will keep him away this year.

The Yankees had a MLB-high six players selected to the All-Star roster, with second baseman Robinson Cano, outfielder Curtis Granderson and catcher Russell Martin heading for Phoenix. Cano is set to take part in the July 11 State Farm Home Run Derby.
MLB.COM

As a Yankee fan dissapointed to here this. It sucks for Jeter he won't be able to participate, since this will probably be one of his, if not the last All Star appearance of his career.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Likely that Peralta will replace Jeter. And all is good :)
I heard Victor is a real possibility to replace A-Rod too.

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
Was looking forward to watching them play but at least Grandy and Cano will still be there

YankeeFan28

Reaction score
Eh, doesn't really bother me as a Yankee fan because Jeter didn't really deserve to make it anyway. I'd rather see them rest anyway.

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
A-rod has a meniscus tear and is the primary reason why he wont be playing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%