Isiah Reportedly Fired as Coach!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AirForceFlash_3

MLB Co-Comish/FSU Class of 2014!
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Report: Thomas out as Knicks coach

NEW YORK (TICKER) —Isiah Thomas likely coached his final game for the New York Knicks on Wednesday.

The New York Daily News reported Thursday that Thomas was told last week that he would not return for a third season as the team’s coach.

According to the newspaper, new Knicks president Donnie Walsh could make an announcement as early as Thursday. Despite two disastrous seasons on the bench marked by controversy on and off the court, Thomas is hoping to remain with the organization in a lesser capacity.

The Knicks’ season ended with a 132-123 loss to the Indiana Pacers on Wednesday. The defeat was New York’s 59th, matching a franchise record set in 2005-06, when the Knicks were coached by Larry Brown.

In his two seasons as Knicks’ coach, Thomas won less than a third of his games, posting a 56-108 record for a winning percentage of .304. Calls for his dismissal by Knicks’ fans at Madison Square began early in the season and continued on an almost nightly basis.

After Wednesday’s defeat, Thomas seemed to be in a state of denial, talking about the team’s “growth” during the season.

“It’s been a very difficult year out on the floor, however inside our locker room, we had a lot of growth,” Thomas said. “The players matured and they grew as men. Those things don’t show up on the floor, but the men that they became in the locker room and the way they conducted themselves through a very tough season says a lot.”

According to the Daily News, Thomas badly wants to stay in the Knicks’ organization. He worked under Walsh in Indiana when he was the Pacers’ coach for three seasons from 2001-03.

“If he needs me to rebound, if he needs me to pass, whatever we need to do here to get things turned around and move in the right direction, his (Walsh’s) vision is one for us to execute,” Thomas told the Daily News. “And I have no problem doing that.”

Thomas, who signed a contract extension worth a reported $24 million 10 months ago, also has been criticized for his decisions as general manager. He loaded up on expensive contracts - creating major salary cap problems - while failing to build a competitive team.

Thomas also found controversy off the court, causing further embarrassment for the franchise.

In November, Madison Square Garden reached an out-of-court settlement for $11.5 million with former executive Anucha Browne Sanders, who had filed a sexual harassment lawsuit against Thomas, Knicks owner James Dolan and the Garden.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=txkn...t&type=lgns

Partay!!! I can see the Knicks fans lining up in front of Madison Square Garden going wild already!

Grandy28

Victory!!!!
Reaction score
I hope Jeff Van Gundy will come back and coach the Knicks. That would be pretty sweet, then he could get punched in the face again.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Who is their even on the market to sign?

Only Brown, Carslie (who I believe is going to Chicago), and Van Gundy ring a bell.

DJT

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Heck it doesn't matter whos on the market any of them will do better than Thomas. Thomas's system just couldn't work with this team.

Maybe the Bucks sign him? (If he doesn't stay with the Knicks at a different position)

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I'd keep Isiah in NY, I heard a possible senerio is that he will help with the scouting. Which is obviously would be good for NY.

Hell I'd even like him back in Detroit to help with scouting.

Grandy28

Victory!!!!
Reaction score
I could see Isiah getting another coaching job or head office position elsewhere. I know, I know, he didn't do anything with the Knicks, but people still would hire him.

Yeah it doesn't really matter who is on the market coaching wise, you don't need a big name to be a successful coach, but since it's New York, I would bet the coach will have previous experience in the coaching department.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
People act like he's terrible from what he did in NY. Didn't he do a fine job in Indiana? (this wasn't directed to you Grandy)

jarrod2323

The Godfather
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
hell, I don't care who's coaching there - it's the players not the coach -- Larry Brown couldn't do anything, Isaiah couldn't do anything... it's the players - get rid of the rubbish underachievers and then see what Isaiah can do

VC3

Charmander CHAR CHAR!
Reaction score
The cure to NYK:

Latrell "feed my family" Spreewell. LMFAO

Yankees2772

RIP Derek Boogaard
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Jarrod, the team isn't a 23 win team based on talent...

And if it is, it's because Isiah made it that way...

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
hell, I don't care who's coaching there - it's the players not the coach -- Larry Brown couldn't do anything, Isaiah couldn't do anything... it's the players - get rid of the rubbish underachievers and then see what Isaiah can do
I would have to agree with that.

Everyone said Isiah's system didn't work. Neither did Brown's...The players should adapt to a system anyways. So this whole "system" excuse is just stupid.

Isiah would be able to bring a team like..let's say the Lakers, to the playoffs if he were the coach there. Same with most teams in the playoffs today.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
reports say that Mark Jackson will be head coach

dez

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Best news Ive heard in about 4 years.

With Donnie Walsh taking charge, its obvious he will deal the dead weight. So I would be surprised if both Randolph and Curry are still on the team next year.

And for all those saying it wasnt mostly Isiah's fault, look at earlier in the season with the Marbury problem, he took a survey, asking his players should Marbury start after he left the team on a roadtrip....they unanimously voted NO, and he ignored them. They dont have enough respect for him, so theres no way he could have ever coached them and gotten 100% each game.

Ive heard Mark Jackson's name mentioned most, and I think thats a very good hiring. Fans love em and he seems like a coach...

dez

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I hope Jeff Van Gundy will come back and coach the Knicks. That would be pretty sweet, then he could get punched in the face again.
I would love to bring JVG back in.

One of the great moments in Knicks history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%