If the Mavs close out in Miami, is this the most unlikely championship run ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.

werebarret

Reaction score
Haven't done any research yet, but consider this.

*The Mavericks have been picked against in basically every series in the playoffs, starting with Portand and ending wiht Miami
*To get to the NBA Finals, the best team 1-8 in the league (in my opinion, of course), the back to back defending champions, the team with the brightest future in the league (again, in my opinion), and then in the finals, the team that was assembled to win multiple titles with three perennial All-Stars, two all-world players.
*Oldest starting guard in Finals history
*Oldest playoff team, (citation needed, thought I heard this once. not sure)
*2nd best player on team hasn't played since January

any thoughts?

chopstikz

Reaction score
I like your list there, I really do agree with what you said. I think you should add Dirk's stats and performance on there. His consecutive free throws and the amount of points he averages every game in the playoffs and apart from the NBA Finals.

lakerfan

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I'm not too sure its the most unlikely playoff run ever because we are talking about a team that won 57 games in the regular season. I think a conclusion I would feel more comfortable making is that the Mavericks simply got shuffled out of the Miami Heat-centered NBA news cycle this year. They didn't fit within the narrative of the big market traditional powers Lakers and Celtics as rivals and were severely underrated by the public when in reality, this was team with the deepest talent roster wise outside of perhaps the Spurs in the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%