How will Pau Gasol fit in with the Lakers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DC4

#TeamHeat
Reaction score
By SI.com -- In the wake of the Lakers' acquisition of Pau Gasol, SI.com's Paul Forrester spoke to an NBA scout about how the one-time All-Star big man will fit with Kobe Bryant and Co.

"The Lakers are a good place for him because as a standalone franchise player, he's probably not good enough to win at a high level," the scout said. "To be able to go to a team where he doesn't shoulder the primary responsibility and he can post up and play different areas of the floor, that will probably be a good fit for Gasol. He can play in the low post, he can play in the high post and he can shoot it from mid-range, so he'll fit into the triangle offense just fine.

"While he certainly hasn't proved to be durable the last few years, the problem in Memphis was the team's change in offensive philosophy. He doesn't seem to fit the all-out running game and early offense that they've got. He's a mobile big, but he's probably better playing in the half court.

"In Memphis, they may have wanted early post-ups from a guy like Gasol; in Los Angeles, the early offense is Kobe going the length of the floor. And when Kobe is going free-throw line to free-throw line, one's ability to score in transition doesn't matter as much.

"Lakers bigs in the past have been good at following Kobe to the rim and cleaning up behind him. So it will be on Gasol as to how motivated he is to contribute the offensive rebounds and easy put-backs that bigs can contribute when they are not as involved.

"Bottom line, it's going to be up to Gasol how well he's willing to assimilate to the Lakers rather than how the Lakers assimilate to him.

"It makes the Lakers better on paper, but you can argue that there are five or six teams equipped to win the West, so it will have to play out in the matchups during the playoffs."

DC4

#TeamHeat
Reaction score
Lakers are the team to beat.

.GR

#BlackFalcon
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
IDK about the team to beat, but they will be tough.

DJT

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I agree with Greg. They won't be the #1 in the west, but they still will be one to look out for....can't sleep on them.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
we're actually not that far behind from first so it isnt really out of reach
i just cant wait til his debut tomorrow!

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
that and because he was weary
dude was traveling everywhere

DJT

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Plus he's been "injured."

playmaker7

The GOAT
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
First off, its Pau Gasol

Second off, the Lakers are a contender in my eyes now. They've got everything they need. Just wait til Bynum comes back so they can destroy all that stand in their way of a title

-Torres-

The Truth
Reaction score
I'm hoping for a Celtics vs. Lakers finals, and this may help that become true

DC4

#TeamHeat
Reaction score
my fault Pau gasol sorry.

DC4

#TeamHeat
Reaction score
Do you guys think Kobe will ball hog with Pau?

ThaBigTime

Reaction score
There fitting in perfect with each other so far. Both shared 30 points last game against the Magic. I cant wait till Bynum comes back. With Pau in the lineup that'll take pressure of bynum to be the scoring big men, and just go out and be a role player and get 15 ppg and 10 rebs, which is where his game is at.

Splangla Sploosh

Reaction score
I'm loving these two together. If Kobes injury is for real, then Pau is going to have to step up his game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%